Author Topic: Are The Maine 2 footers smaller then the 3 footers at Disneyland?  (Read 28800 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Are The Maine 2 footers smaller then the 3 footers at Disneyland?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
The green on the boiler jacket is ok
I guess I don't mind the jacket color either...is this color supposed to look like what is known as, "Russian iron?"

Yes, the color is similar.  Russia iron was more a coating or a film on top of the metal and it bonded more firmly to it than any paint.  The color varied by batch and could appear as anything from a light green to a light blue, although I've also heard the coating itself was more of a grey that actually reflected the dominant colors of its surroundings (i.e. green from foliage or blue from the sky).  The California RR Museum has actually done quite a bit of research on Russia iron and even tracked down one of the remaining practitioners (in Russia) to procure the material for their own restorations.  The late-great L&RP magazine published a great article on the subject some years ago.

Best Regards,
Glenn

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »
Was Disneyland #3 built by Vulcan?

I notice in the pictures Steve posted of it a few posts up, that the engine when it was in the sugar cane fields it greatly resembled our #10 when it was in the fields - tiny boiler, same style cab.  DRR #3 looks like it still has a tiny boiler and tiny cab.  #3 must be oil or gas fired?

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
Yes, I thought the 3 had a very similar look too, but...

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »
Steve,
Yes, that color is an approximation of Russia Iron. (Not Russian iron, just like we have Canada Geese, not Canadian geese, as they don't need passports)
I have attached (I hope as I am new to posting photos!) a picture of a 22" gauge Cagney locomotive restored by Don Micheletti in California. He took a piece of the original Russia Iron jacket that had been preserved under something such as the sand dome, and matched the color. True Russia Iron is a planished iron. It is hammered and heated repeatedly, with ash literally beaten into the surface to carburize the iron's surface. The best quality was a polished finish similar to nickel plating. The lesser qualities ranged from a grayish blue to a very distinct blue color.
I would bet that No. 9 first arrived on the Sandy River RR with oiled Russia Iron jackets.
Keith

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
Most locomotive builders used a Russia Iron finish on the boiler jacket prior to the introduction of heat resistant paint.  It is documented that Baldwin and Alco did, the Portland Company probably did too.  The practice may even date back to the days of the Hinkley Locomotive Works in Boston.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 04:13:10 PM »
Stewart,
And...Russia Iron looks really great!
Keith

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
Keith, that's gorgeous...thanks for posting the picture! Incredible that even a Cagney "park engine" was given that type of jacketing! Any idea what year it was built? (The color reminds me of a Dupont Imron blue that a friend repainted his '67 Austin Healey 3000 with!)

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:53 AM »
Stephen,
That Cagney was built in 1905 and was used at Steeplechase Park at Coney Island, in Brooklyn, New York. The loco had several subsequent owners, but it was restored by Don Micheletti for his friend Marshall Matthews. Mr. Matthews died before the completion of the restoration, but his family had Don finish the work. The locomotive was later sold to the State of Georgia for a proposed museum operation that will include a restored Philadelphia Tobbogan Co. Carousell and the Cagney.

Keith

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
Attached is another image showing the 22" gauge Cagney Brothers Class E locomotive.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »
Was Disneyland #3 built by Vulcan?

I notice in the pictures Steve posted of it a few posts up, that the engine when it was in the sugar cane fields it greatly resembled our #10 when it was in the fields - tiny boiler, same style cab.  DRR #3 looks like it still has a tiny boiler and tiny cab.  #3 must be oil or gas fired?
The Engines at Disneyland Burn Distillate #2 low-sulfur Reformulated Fuel! ;) :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:42:12 PM by Matt3985 »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
That Fuel Is also Used At Walt Disney World Railroad as well! ;) :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
What happend to Locomotive & Railway Presevation Magazene? I have onefrom 1995 that said that there were some locomotives sinking into the ground near eagle lake in northern maine.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 12:12:47 PM »
Those locos are from the Eagel Lake & West Branch Railroad that went out in 1933.  The engines are still out there. Use the following website to find out more: www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/history/allagash/rr.htm It details the railroad and it's history.  By the way it was not a narrow gauge railroad.
Duncan

o anderson

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
I would think that other New England rail preservation news should be worthy of an occasional mention here, especially the more obscure stuff like these abandoned engines.  L&RP was purchased by Pentrex, which promptly shut it down.  Maybe there is a chance it could be revived, but from what I hear it is not likely.  This stagnant situation was what caused the creation of Railway Preservation News on the web, which seems to be doing just fine and has less overhead than the magazine.  They still could use some more articles, however.  Feel like writing?
O. Anderson

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »
The B&SR engines are much heavier.

B&SR 7 is 33 tons
B&SR 8 is 38 tons

These two were some of the biggest and heaviest two footers ever built.

Glenn probably has even more stats on these too.