Author Topic: How Far is the WW&F going to restore the new track?  (Read 31682 times)

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: How Far is the WW&F going to restore the new track?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2019, 04:31:11 PM »
One concern that some might have about publicly announcing "shoot the moon" is real estate acquisition. From what I have read, the WW&F owns/leases or has an easement on roughly 2/3 of the original right-of-way. That other 1/3 is owned by other varied individuals.  Announcing years in advance (of actual track construction) as an organization  that we are committed to buy specific ROW properties currently owned by others seems like an opportunity for others to profit at the Museum's expense.  :o

I prefer a strategy of buying strategic properties quietly, as needed, and preferably as they come on the market due to the existing owner's current situation (as opposed to making an unsolicited offer out of the blue.)
Graham

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
I think the actual ownership percentage of original right-of-way - which I interpret as Wiscasset to Albion and Weeks Mills to Winslow - is more like 50% or less now.  The Museum owns a single parcel in Wiscasset, and a half-mile of ROW in Whitefield, the W&Q owns a great deal more.

We own, lease with the W&Q, or have a permanent easement on 100% of what we currently operate on. 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2019, 04:54:36 PM »
Graham is right.
And this is a public forum.  8)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
Fred,
Don't worry. We never stop planning...we are already loosely discussing where we want to be 5 years from now..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »
I think Alain has the right idea: "I think  the WW&F would be wise to consolidate for a few years what has been doing untill then before taking up extensing the line  northward or southward."

There are quite a few things at Sheepscot that should be attended to once we get the line built to Route 218 and in service. No. 10's new boiler, the roundhouse, tie replacement on the main line, fixing dipsy-dos in the track (surfacing several places), building coach No. 9, building No. 11, restoring the B&SR flanger, expanding the parking lot, landscaping, building the pavilion at Alna Center, etc., etc., etc. Many of these projects were pushed off the front burner when the Mountain Extension/bridge project took precedence. We can certainly use the time to figure out some of the issues involved in building in either direction, of course.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
AMEN, Wayne!  Alain is spot-on.  We need to catch up and finish all of the projects that are languishing and get what track we have back in shape.  We've gotten over extended, in my opinion.  People gave a lot of money for the 21 Project and there sits Number 10 waiting while we need her in service.  Just my two cents.

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 06:54:42 AM »
Fred,
Don't worry. We never stop planning...we are already loosely discussing where we want to be 5 years from now..

Mike,

Thanks for your response.  This is reassuring.  As for Graham's contention that an aggressive expansion plan might cause real estate values to rise, well, sure it could.  I guess I didn't mean that such plans would need to be made public.  In fact, I like the way you've been doing this.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I really suspect that you've enjoyed good community support so far and that really is a blessing.  I also tend to suspect that most land owners who also happen to be supportive would be willing to sell or at least lease the right of way.

I can relate something from where I live in northern Indiana.  Right now a bicycle trail is being promoted over the roadbed of the Wabash railroad that was abandoned very nearly 35 years ago.  The railway (NS) has since sold some of (but not nearly all) of the right of way to adjacent land owners.  So, the bike trail people now need to negotiate with the land owners to reacquire the ROW. 

Much of our community supports the trail and that's a plus.  But the only reason I'm bringing this up is to point out that it CAN be done whether it's a bike trail or a two-foot narrow gauge rail line.   I hope and pray that the WW&F can one day reach Albion.  Or if not, maybe we can at least get close.

Best Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
Topeka, IN

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
Glad to see increasing  awareness of the very full plate of projects currently on the WW&F  growth table.
I would now set a moritorium on any more new work...

*finish ROW extension to Rt 218
*put up Alna Center performance building 
*car barn expansion completion
*build roundhouse
*loco 10 rebuild
*build loco 11
*install vacuum brakes on passenger cars
*finish shop interior/heating work
*parking lot expansion
*never-ending track maintenance
*helping rebuild tenant equipment now on the property.

That's MORE than enough work for a couple more years.   ;)
Paul Uhland

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
You forgot Coach 9, and probably other items too.

I don't think that anyone is advocating the expansion of the WW&F railroad beyond 218 or Cross Road should occur before any of the aforementioned projects on Paul's list are complete or substantially underway.

The railroad to 218 will not be open until Spring 2021. The soonest that active track work can occur for further expansion is Fall 2022. (That provides one Fall/Spring Work Weekend for serious track maintenance; more may be required.)  Some of the items on that list are prerequisites to opening the extension (ie: Vacuum brakes) or have to be met long before 2022 (the expanded parking lot must be in service before this year's Victorian Christmas; the Pavilion erected by Spring 2020 in order to satisfy a grant requirement; Carbarn expansion before winter 2019-2020; etc.) I would not advocate starting large-scale rebuilds of tenant equipment until the roundhouse is complete.

I'd also like to propose that we get fire suppression installed in all buildings by 2022. That will likely require some substantial funds and specialized contract labor.

That said, planning for future expansion (permit research, rail acquisition, easements, etc.) can run in the background by those not working on any of the aforementioned items (which obviously have higher priority.) Many of those tasks are done by those (like myself) who do not live locally to the railroad, but have time to assist from their computers and phones.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
Ed,

I think that was a good post.  I cannot disagree with what you're saying.  If I'm understanding you right, these other projects are of a higher priority than additional track expansion but neither do you want to see such expansion forgotten about, if I understand that right.

Once S.R. 218 is reached, plans to extend the line further can go on behind the scenes.  In fact, I suppose that can even be done now.  In the future I hope to be able to make more contributions to track expansion as funds become available.

Best Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:38 PM »
these other projects are of a higher priority than additional track expansion but neither do you want to see such expansion forgotten about [...]
Once S.R. 218 is reached, plans to extend the line further can go on behind the scenes.  In fact, [...] that can even be done now.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Everything on the current docket must be completed (or substantially underway) before we begin laying track across 218 and/or Cross Road. And while I am not on the BOD, nor do I speak on behalf of those leaders, I believe that summarizes the current thinking on the matter.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
By fire suppression I assume you mean a sprinkler system.  Don't those require a city-type of water system?  Does Sheepscot have such a water system?  I don't think a well can supply enough volume/pressure needed for sprinklers.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
I'm not sure what form a Fire Suppression system would take. My understanding is that there are a lot of options; they all cost a bunch of money.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2019, 12:31:14 PM »
Hello ! I  fully agree with Wayne when he said " we can certainely use the time to figure out some of the issues involved in building in either direction "   as you have done all down the line (no pun intended as you guys often say in your replies). The WW&F goal is to rebuilt entirely that two-footer and I'm sure it will make it someday. But  moving forwards too fast along the ROW without taking care of  the other projects would be kind of like an army that would be very fast invading a country  without being aware of the supplies and amunitions issues. It's not that easy to put exactly what I think in English but I hope you would get my meaning.For what it's worth , it's only the humble opinion of a newcomer  that does not know all the ins and the outs of all the WW&F projects yet.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
Fire suppression is being planned. A dry system, fed by an outside source, a fire truck. A lot of planning has gone into that already. Including how to do it with as little as 2 fire fighters, all to buy time until manpower can show up.

Our building locations can also play a huge part in fire protection. Placing buildings far enough away from each other can help prevent the spread of a fire.

There is also drainage improvements I have planned for Sheepscot. We got one in this spring and everyone was pleased with the result.

Parkinglot is being worked on as we speak, and may be complete by this weekend.

A lot of the projects mentioned are not work weekend type projects. Sure, they can go on during work weekends, but they do not require the amount of help that usually shows up for the big 2.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:04:38 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...