Author Topic: How Far is the WW&F going to restore the new track?  (Read 31681 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
How Far is the WW&F going to restore the new track?
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
Im a Huge fan of their railroad but i Want to know how far will they go on restoring their new Line?   :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:21:23 PM by Matt3985 »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: How Far is the W&WR going to restore the new track?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »
W&WR? I assume you mean the WW&F? The near term goal would be Route 218 in Alna which is a little over a mile away from the current end of track. A little longer term goal is potentially Head Tide and beyond.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
What about the Route behind The Station and Car Shop beyond the road! Is that route going to be Restored too? :)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
What about the Route behind The Station and Car Shop beyond the road! Is that route going to be Restored too? :)
Extending the route behind the station beyond the road (or crossing 218 on the way to Head Tide) would involve crossing a public road. Doing so would make the WW&F an FRA-regulated railroad. The WWF folks do not fear this and are gradually adopting many of the procedures and paperwork that would be involved. Nevertheless, it is something that it would be nice to postpone as long as possible.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
Okay Then! But How far is the new New Route Restorating Going to End at where? =)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »
Okay Then! But How far is the new New Route Restorating Going to End at where? =)

Type cross road alna me in google maps, click on satllite and zoom in on the WW&F Sheepscot station & yard. By following the WW&F right of way on the south side of Cross Rd you'll see how far it goes before coming to a dam and pond.

Steve Smith

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Purpose of Verney Dam?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »
Hi,  This may have been covered in the past but, what is the purpose of the dam and is it privately owned or under public perveiw?  What was the purpose if it no longer is relied upon?  I think from my readings that the old ROW goes through the dam and the marsh.  Is that correct?  Just muttering to myself about southward extension from Sheepscot.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: How Far is the WW&F going to restore the new track?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 05:44:48 AM »
The dam is not private, I believe, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, that the state fixed the dam up at one point in time. The only way to know for sure is do some research. I think we are several years from deciding what to do there.
Mike

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
Thank you Mike.  I will try to poke around.

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »
I believe it is privately owned and maintained.
Allan Fisher

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
A few years ago I was told that the dam was privately owned and that the owner was agreeable to reducing the height and water level so we could build thru that area.  Be aware that my information comes from a few years ago and it is really up to the BOD to make that decision and to work with the land owners on our plans. 

Right now the projects include actually getting to 218, getting the track in service, completing the station there, extending the car barn, building the engine house, erecting the Alna pavilion, rebuilding several pieces of rolling stock, getting 10 back in service, building 11, building the new passenger car, getting the vacuum breaks working and installed, running trains for our visitors, maintaining our existing track and infrastructure, and probably a dozen other things that I have omitted.  We have lots to do.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
Bill, that sounds like the same thing I was told. But, the DEP and Army Corps may think otherwise of just lowering the water level. So there may be state involvement there.

A quick google shows it actually has a name. Verney-Leighton Marsh Dam. It is also on Topo maps, which the DEP and Army Corps use as reference.

All this is not insurmountable. We just need to see what can be done and do it.. Just like building the retaining wall or intalling a bridge... It can be done..

Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
On the single occasion I walked down the right-of-way to the dam, I noticed that the outfall was mostly blocked by debris, which seemed to have raised the water level to some extent or other. Whether this was intentional by beavers or due to lack of maintenance I cannot say.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
Just a little curiosity. If we were able to build through  Headtide to the section we own just past the station, how much farther past there does the right of way we own extend?
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
There is one piece that we don't own before the Head Tide Station location. This is between the road and the station lot. Then we own almost to the Alna town line - but it is not very far past the Head Tide Station location.
We do not own very much of the trackage beyond the Alna line in Whitefield, I think there is about a three mile stretch we do not own. From there we own quite a lot of the rest of the Whitefield trackage.
Allan Fisher