Author Topic: North yard project  (Read 10279 times)

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
North yard project
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
I have seen that the grading has been started on the north yard project. I was wondering what is the order of the parts of this project. Will the car storage building be built first? Is the roundhouse part of this project. I havent been up there in a while and I'm just trying to get an idea of the plan. Im guessing that the parking lot and septic system are part of this expansion. Wasnt there a map posted here at some point?
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: North yard project
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:10:26 PM »
The grading that is being done is the start for everything. The road that is being constructed will be used by the contractor to complete the leach field. Once that is complete, the lines for the leach filed will be run.
The next projected building project will be the restrooms. This as you know is a much needed addition. After that, who knows. That is a ways off yet. And we have enough track to start the expansion in the yard whenever we are ready. Stay tuned
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
Here is an excerpt from a plan I've put together for the purposes of getting grant/foundation funding. It includes the site map and a proposed schedule.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »
Ed,  I think your PDF should be accesable from the web page of the museum.  Just a suggetion.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
With approval, I have posted the full version of the site plan fundraising document here. It can be accessed on the main web site under "Museum Projects, Long Range Plan."
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
The contractor has been working all week on the grade that will feed the car storage building and round house.  The grading is done and the culvert is in.  It looks nice.  You can stand on the pile of new ties by the Yard Limit sign and look straight through to the Percival house.  A truck will be able to drive from the house to the upper yard area and over to the existing tool house and water tank area.  All the grading should be done this weekend.

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »
   Ed and Stewart,   The work on the north yard is just great, and the knowledge that the restrooms are the next project will be great for the future of the museum.   As always I look forward to the updates on the museum.   Fred Kuhns                                       

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
Noting Stewart's comment that a truck could be driven from the Percival House to the section house area prompts me to observe that building track will be much easier if gravel (sub-ballast) is tailgated from a truck before we begin to lay track.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:46 AM »
Noting Stewart's comment that a truck could be driven from the Percival House to the section house area prompts me to observe that building track will be much easier if gravel (sub-ballast) is tailgated from a truck before we begin to lay track.
Indeed; that's the way we used to do it a dozen years ago:

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=18589542

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
The contractor put down road cloth and 6" of gravel on the new grade from where it diverges from the main line down to the Percival house.  The leach field lines went in Saturday.  The new grade looks good.  Straw will be spread on the sides of the new fill this week.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
On a different view of the road to the section house, it will also make it easier for those who would consider stealing from the museum when the property is vacant during the week and evenings.  I'm sure the board has given thought to this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »
I had the same thought Duncan. Perhaps we shoud erect a barrier of some kind to keep the uptonogooders out of there.
Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
I thought the road was temporary, to allow access to the leach bed area for construction purposes. Once the track is built, it will cut off access to that end of the property, won't it? But I agree that a gate across the driveway out by Cross Road would discourage trespassers.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
I don't think anyone will try to acess the section house. If they do, they will need a tow out of the mud. Very slimey stuff.
Here are some pics of this years finished product. They will be back in the spring to finish the leach field.

From the House Driveway

And Finally the Mt. Urine Approach

Mike

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
You're not kidding about that clay mud, Mike - Don't drive or walk on it!  We tried walking out there on track weekend but gave up part way as we had so much mud clinging to our boots.  Does it harden up almost like concrete when it dries out (as if it ever will this year!)?