Author Topic: Seen at Sheepscot on Sat., 9/12/09  (Read 5079 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Seen at Sheepscot on Sat., 9/12/09
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
A group of antique touring car enthusiasts from Vermont stopped in on Saturday. Here are some of their autos parked out front of the shop.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seen at Sheepscot on Sat., 9/12/09
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
What a beautiful Pierce Arrow touring car!

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
I'll take that MG TD - used to have a pale yellow 1951, last reported to be in Lincoln, Maine.
Do many antique auto groups visit?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:08:51 PM by Bill Sample »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »
The Model T club came to Sheepscot a couple of years ago.  There were about 20 Model T's parked in front of the shop building that day.  Someone on the Board may know how to contact them.  They may want to come back when our Model T railcar is in service. 

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
Do these antique car people tell you in advance when they are going to be there or do they just show up and surprise everyone? If they tell you, do you try to get blurbs in the Bangor and Portland newspapers, televisions, etc in hopes that it might attract other people? Incidentally, what is the name of the newspaper in Bangor?
The manager of the GE Energy factory in Bangor, Johnny Martin, used to be facilities manager at the factory I work at near Atlanta. Nice fellow.
Jock Ellis
Jock Ellis

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »
Jock,  I think the Model T visit was arranged by one of our members who is in the club.  It would be good to get the word out when antique cars and trucks visit Sheepscot, it adds a draw factor for visitors.  A number of WW&F members have antique cars, including Model T's and Model A's and some bring their cars to the railroad.  I took my 1929 AA truck to the local (northern Maryland) Steam show Saturday and there were over 100 cars and trucks on display.  The steam show takes over 12 acres and the car show was one of the busiest places at the show.  There was even a standard gauge 1904 Oldsmobile track car on display.

The WW&F picnic would be a good time to host a car show once the rest rooms and visitors parking lot is built.  We already have a number people showing their hit-and-miss engines and old tractors at the picnic.  They set up in front of the shop building and get alot of attention.  We have also talked about having a Steam Show/Antique Farm Equipment type of event at AC in the latter part of Summer or early Fall.  Taking visitors up to the show by train would be a great plus.   Of course there are many things to work out with such an event.   The steam show I attend has music, lots of food and a large flea market area.  Some of this could happen at AC.  The key is to have an event committee handle all the arrangements.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
The newspaper is the Bangor Daily News.  Their web site is www.bangordailynews.com

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:25 PM »
Stewart,
Thanks for the information about the Bangor newspaper and the event near you. That seems to be a huge undertaking. Was it done solely with volunteer help or do they pay some people? I don't know when Maine's best tourist days are, but such an event along the WW&F would seem to be a sure thing. I just don't know if all that could be handled by purely volunteer museum member labor. Unless as I continually point out, you get the New England Patriots cheerleaders then you'll get all the strong, male help you'll ever need. The next best thing is to contact a sorority at a nearby college for help. Then call the frats and tell them that the young ladies will be there helping but you need more volunteers.
Thanks,
Jock Ellis
Jock Ellis