Author Topic: South African Railways 2' 2-8-2  (Read 5143 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
South African Railways 2' 2-8-2
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: South African Railways 2' 2-8-2
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »
Nice Loco. Is this something from that Sand Stone group? With some work it could be made to look American. But who has a line that could use it?

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Hi Paul,

At first I thought you were right, but then I looked at the notes under the picture and saw it was taken between Assegaibos and Humansdorp, which are on the Avontuur (i.e. "Apple Express") branch.

For your other points ...

Technically, the NG15s could probably run on any of the two foot gauge railroads currently operating in Maine except for possibly the one at Boothbay Railway Village.  There are two reasons for this.  First, this class of locomotive only had a maximum axle loading of 7 tons, which is not much more than the axle loading of a Portland Forney.  Second, the NG15s used a very clever design which essentially turns the pilot axle and the first driver axle into a 4-wheel "bissel truck".  This means that the maximum fixed wheel base on the locomotive is only about 6'6", despite the fact that it is an 8-coupled (2-8-2) locomotive design.  So any railroad that could run a Baldwin mogul or Prairie, could run an NG15.   In fact, the SA lines operated several Baldwin 2-6-0s, 4-6-0s and 4-6-2s that would have looked very much "at home" in Maine.  So I surmise the NG15s were most likely designed so they would not require alterations to the then-existing SA track infrastructure.  In fact, I think the NGG16 Garratts could run in Maine too.

From a cost effectiveness standpoint, the NG15 locos would be far larger than any of the present Maine two-footers could economically operate for anything but special events.

All that being said, I agree with you.  I think the NG15s are handsome and powerful locomotives that could be quite easily "Americanized" if someone wanted to do so.  With a tractive effort of 16,610 lbs. an NG15 exceeds that of SR&RL #23 by about 4,000 lbs.  With that kind of power, I imagine an NG15 could walk a pretty amazing train up "the Mountain".

Best Regards,
Glenn
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:59:22 PM by Glenn Christensen »

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
Bring it on !!

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
Although a truly nice engine, let's find a Baldwin first.......
Moxie Bootlegger