Author Topic: September 2009 Work Planning  (Read 11559 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
September 2009 Work Planning
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
Not having been to the WW&F last weekend I don't know what work is planned for the weekend of September 6.  However I am going to attempt to get a track crew out to do something on Saturday.  It may be only tie replacements, or it may be something more substantial.  I may also attempt it on Labor Day, we'll see.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: September 2009 Work Planning
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »
My track crew/tie replacement work on Saturday will probably be after trains start running, FYI, as I have a number of administrative tasks to do first thing in the morning.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
Work done on weekend of September 5 and the previous weekend.

The previous weekend, work was done in the basement of the Percival house to prepare for pouring cement for the basement floor.

Allan got the fund raiser letters ready and mailed by the 1st.

On Friday the 4th, Fred and Dwight cut grass on the sides of the track past Alna Center.  On Saturday morning Dave and Bill cut grass in the same place, getting up to Albee's Xing.

In the afternoon, Dave, Bill, Ed and I went out and replaced 2 ties on Davis Curve.  However it was pretty warm and so we decided to quit.  I am planning to do some on Monday morning.

Marcel was working on #9's cab, getting ready to deconstruct it.

Steve Z. was cutting trees preparing for grading by contractors for access to the leach field.

On Sunday Jason was working on the drive shaft for the railcar.  Once done, all that's left are brakes.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:15:51 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Sept 12, 2009.

Friday there's a board meeting @ 4:30 at the Percival House.  All members are welcome to attend (but if all members attended we'd have to hold it in a gymnasium).

Saturday:
- Dana's going to take a crew out to crop chair factory rail.
- Tree cutting to prepare for the grading may still take place.
- Zack may be doing work in the Percival house basement to prepare for concrete.  Some of the dirt needs to be excavated and replaced with the pile of stone outside the basement door.
- Grass cutting still needs work.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
James,

Where do you still need grass cutting? I may be able to get up there on Sunday. I am self contained: own my own Stihl trimmer with gas can and extra string.

Hans

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »
As of Saturday, trimming still needed to be done north of Albee's field up to and beyond the end of track.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
Hans,

As Ed said, north of the Albee's field; however it's fairly obvious when you see it.  Where it's been trimmed is less than a foot high, where it hasn't been is rubbing against the sides of the cars.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
Work done by the volunteers on the weekend of 9/12

On Friday I think Dwight was up grass cutting.  Josh R was also in the car shop doing electrical work.

Saturday,
- Dwight was grass cutting.  Grass cut as of end of day Saturday was about 100+ feet north of Albee's Crossing.  There might have been some grass cut on Sunday as well.
- Steve Z headed a crew cutting trees to prepare for roadbed and leach field grading.  Several sizable trees were cut near where the leach field will be and few were cut where the roadbed will go.
- Jason was working in the shop on #9's frame casting, milling away on it.
- Jason and Zack went out to Trout Brook (the brook by 218) in a preliminary surveying expedition, to prepare for bridge planning.

It happened a couple of weekends ago but I went downstairs in the Percival House to look at what has been done down there to prepare for concrete pouring.  The center wall studs were all removed and in their place went steel posts, with a nicely crafted beam at the ceiling.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
James,

Yes, more brush cutting on Sunday. It was a fine afternoon of bugs, mud, sweat and the sweet smell of 2 cycle exhaust. I was able to get to the 300 foot sign with my string trimmer but the brush out there is industrial strength and at times more than a match for a string trimmer . Next time it will have to be with a clearing saw/brushcutter.

Hans

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
Downstairs in the Percival House the oil furance was removed. Zake made a higher cement foundation than he reinstalled the oil furance.
A lot of surplus lumber has also been removed.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
Anticipated work for weekend of September 19:

If Friday is an OK day, Fred or Leon will probably be around to help out with Grass Cutting.

Other work I can forsee happening:
- Prepartory work for septic/roadbed grading.
- Machine work for #9
- Painting, if the temperature is OK, on the car shop.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
Work done on the weekend of September 19:

- Grass cutting is up to about 600 feet north of Albee's Crossing.  On Saturday Eric went to the end of track and cut the grass up that way, so that now the area is a nice lawn.
- Tree cutting and moving cut wood around where grading will happen for the septic road.
- Jason and Bob spent time talking about Halloween.

And I completely missed it last weekend, but Josh put lights in the extension.  Some nice light fixtures like those found in the machine shop, as well as some bare bulbs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:13:35 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Anticipated work for the weekend of Sept 26:

- Dana's taking a work crew out to crop and drill chair factory rail.
- Likely someone (such as Steve or Zack) will be working to clear trees from the septic road location.
- This might be a Josh weekend, which means electrical work will get done in the shop
- Grass cutting is still needed.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »
We need to add that on 9/26 Frank Knight is bringing his tractor and will be spreading gravel on the last section of graded ROW at the EOT.  Which means he will need a crew to help unload the flatcars (just what his bucket can't reach).  We will likely concentrate on getting that done before we crop rail.  I wouldn't think it will take too long. 

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
Work done on the weekend of Sept 26:

- Frank and Hans showed up with Frank's tractor, they unloaded it and Frank got it down to end of track.  Dana and crew spent the day moving dirt first from Sheepscot to the end of track, then once that dirt pile was gone (sorry Stewart!) moving it from Alna Center to end of track.  Frank spent his day unloading it to the ground, then moving it from next to the track to where it was needed.
- During the week someone delivered some stone and gravel to the AC lot.
- On Friday there was a mechanic from Steamtown there as guest of Ed Gilhooley, who was working on #9 projects.  What took us a half day to do he did in 15 minutes.
- I noticed more trees down where grading will happen.