Author Topic: LAND FOR SALE Includes Perley's Mills and a large chunk of ROW  (Read 12460 times)

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Follow the link below.  This land includes a house, a 40 acre pond, and a large chunk of the B&SR ROW.  Open the picture and the lower right one shows the ROW.  This could affect the future of the Return of the Rails project.  Asking price is 3.15 million bucks.  Out of my price range.

http://www.mainehomesandcondos.com/863393.aspx

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: LAND FOR SALE Includes Perley's Mills and a large chunk of ROW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
Dana, isn't that gravel pit the same one we walked by on our fall trip last year? That piece of land is really nice.  Too bad they are asking so much but I can't blame them.
Duncan

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »
I am sure they are hoping a developer will buy and subdivide this into individual house lots, etc. Ugh.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Thats the pit on the West side of the ROW between Ingalls and the Boulder. I guess I'll have to start working more weekends to afford that.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »
The only good thing, Stephen, is that with the economy the way it is and the land being so far away from any metropolitan area I don't think it has a lot of development potential.  Lots of wetlands there, too.  Yes, that is the gravel pit we saw, Duncan.  It's really a shame because I've talked with the landowner in the past and he has been very good about permitting access to the ROW and to Pickerel Pond for fishing, etc.  I'd hate to see the ROW lost or access closed off but if you don't have the money...

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Hi Dana,

I have to agree with your sentiments, especially after my recent visit to the area in question and my subsequent conversation with you and "Bridgton" Bill.

To me the whole concept is a natural, albeit one that will necessarily be broken down into phases.

In the first phase, a tie-in to the downtown Bridgton merchants would be anticipated - to generate foot-traffic and provide initial marketing funds.  The second phase would be to expand the promotional reach of the project by tying in the projected Depot Street development.  

But no sooner did I realize this, the question of "what kind of numbers are we really talking about" came up.  So while I was there two Sunday's ago waiting for my breakfast at Rick's Diner, I performed a little, ad hoc analysis of the prospective business potential based upon purely drive-by traffic.  

Using a basic figure of 12 vehicles/minute, which was the observed Sunday morning traffic volume along Main Street in front of Rick's, I came up with a late summer season traffic flow of 720 cars/ hour.  I then compared this with the official MDOT year-round (not seasonally adjusted) traffic count of 9570 cars/ day
measured at the intersection of Main and Church Streets (the closest location for which there was data.)  I did this as a check because I wanted to see how credible my count was.

Assuming the busiest part of the day is from 10am to 5pm, (a 7-hour period), a reasonable assumption would be that my peak hourly traffic flow number would have to work out to something less than twice the mean, year-round traffic flow (MYRTF) as based upon the official figure.  So I checked the MDOT numbers on-line, which yielded a figure of 9570 cars per day (MYRTF).  I divided 9570 cars by 24 hours to arrive at a mean hourly traffic volume figure of slightly more than 398.  This meant that according to my basis of estimate my number would have to come out less than roughly 796 cars per hour, during the peak time for my estimate to be credible.  720 cars/hour-peak is indeed less than 796, so I concluded that my basis of estimate for peak hour, in season traffic volume is in fact credible.

That means that over the 7-hour peak period, 5040 cars would pass the Bridgton yard site during the height of the summer season.  Assuming a 1% impulse rate on drive-by visitation, a minimal, railbus-only operation at Bridgton yard would expect to draw an average of 50 passengers per day to start.  At $3 a head, this would yield an income of $150 a day.  Subtract half of that for labor and operating expenses and you come up with an operating revenue of $75/day or a total of $7,500  for the 100-day summer operating season.  Not bad for year one, assuming a volunteer-based effort with no debt.  The additional multiplier effect for the community would be equal to or greater than this figure because it would most likely generate foot traffic for local businesses - especially if an all-day ticket were available to keep people around for a while.

With local advertising at least in part funded by local merchants, we should be able to double the impulse figure to 100 passengers per day or $15,000 a year for both the railway and local businesses.  Again not a bad figure for Phase I.

Phase two would be ushered in by the completion of the Depot Street development.  At minimum, this could be expected to double ridership again for a total revenue of $30,000/year or 200 passengers per operating day.  Again not a bad figure.

Further increases would depend upon continued good management, the expansion of local and visitor support, better marketing, volunteer base growth, and museum and operating expansions.

"Bridgton" Bill foresees Phase "n" expansion to extend 1 or 2 miles to the local ball field.  This would provide an operational destination for trains as people would have something to do at the other end of the line.  Phase "n+1" might extend the line through the scenically attractive stretch from the ball field along Willett Brook to Sandy Creek.  Subsequent phases might possibly extend from there beyond, along the old line to Perleys Mill and maybe even Swamp Road.  It all depends upon how closely the effort can manage to satisfy the needs and concerns of local and other stakeholders.  

Imagine this picture ...

A narrow gauge steam train, possibly pulled by B&SR #8, arrives from Bridgton at a rebuilt Perleys Mills station.  The station is fitted to sell train tickets, but is also set up as a convenience store for local residents, summer campers, 4-wheelers, and other visitors.  There is a passing track, maybe a replica or restoration of Hancock tank, perhaps even a turntable.  A small swimming area has been prepared for passengers on the shore of Pickerel Pond near the station, so there is no visitor impact to local residents along Hancock Pond.  Maybe there is a jungle gym and paddle boats too.  Possibly a licensee for horse and carriage rides.  The main line between Bridgton and Perleys is paralleled by an ATV/snowmobile/hiking trail, built using gravel from the large pit near the big rock.  Sometimes the trail runs right alongside the n.g., sometimes it veers off, cross country, by another route.  Maybe there is a stop at Ingalls Road where visitors can hike the trail up to Naramissic.  Maybe there is a stop at South Bridgton for canoers, campers, and hikers.

A land on many uses indeed.

Best Regards,
Glenn
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:59:11 PM by Glenn Christensen »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
If done on an all Volunteer Basis like some other Railroads, your profit margin becomes more. Like anything though, there will be days you put money in the bank, and there will be days you don't make enough to pay for fuel. Sounds like Bill has a great plan, I hope to be part of seeing it through
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »
Hi All,

I keeping with my previous post, check out the plan identified in the following news story.  Sounds like a promising opportunity.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=306003&ac=PHnws

Best Regards,
Glenn

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Video flyover of the Ball Park development
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
Hi Folks,

The attached is a video is put together by the association that is working on the ball park development effort in Bridgton.  The finished complex looks like it will be quite impressive.  It would be a nice boon for the area!  Check out URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlURQUsaPkg

If you know where to look, you can follow the course of the old B&SR mainline as the flyover progresses from the area of Hannaford's and Central Maine Power to the Rt 117 crossing.

Enjoy!
Glenn

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
Glenn,
Very interesting video. I now see why Bill Shelly felt that a siding to the proposed recreation complex would work if a working railroad museum became a reality in Bridgton.  Toward the end of the video the sweeping arc of the roadbed as it heads toward the dump is quite visible.  Very interesting.
Duncan

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
Hi Duncan,

Yeah!  The RR's been gone nearly 70 years now and just like the WW&F and the SR&RL, it's still THERE!

There's something hopeful in that.  The POTENTIAL is there. 

In the case of the Bridgton, there's the chance that at least some of the original equipment will make it back home, perhaps to operate again.  There's the chance of using the RR to connect the Ball Park and the outdoors venues to the town again.  That's exciting because that's what railroads do, they connect places.  And there is the excitement of taking all this potential and reviving a real place with real people, who will benefit in ways economic, historic, and experiential. 

I love potential!  Makes it worth getting up in the morning!

Best Regards,
Glenn