Author Topic: Perleys Mills Photo?  (Read 12665 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Perleys Mills Photo?
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
Ok. We had this discussion before but I can't find it. Anyhow, I purchased this photo a while ago, and have no idea where the station is. I think it is Perleys Mills but am more than likely wrong, due to the lay of the land. The scan does not provide all the details I can see in my copy so here is what else I can tell you.The switchstand next to the man on the ground is for a siding across from the station.The track is straight with a slight curve to the right as it passes the mast of the switch stand.

Now I am wondering, could this be a Bridgton Bound train in the morning, and this is South Bridgton? It does not look right for Ingalls Rd.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Deere

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Perleys Mills Photo?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:44:32 PM »
Hi Mike

Two feet to the lakes, page 136, bottom of the page, same photo. But no in mention of location only that Al Hale is the guy leaning out the window. But it also states Peter Cornwall photo. Who is Peter Cornwall?

Ed

Ed Deere

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
Hi Mike again

Two foot to the lakes page 68 & 69, Perley Mills photo shows a platform and small slanted awnings over the doors and windows not seen in your photo.

Ed

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
Hi Mike,

I've always thought the location was West Sebago station after it was moved up by Swamp Road.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re:Not Perleys Mills Photo?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:37 AM »
Ed and Glenn,
Thanks for the oinput. Glenn, I wondered that myself but was there ever a siding at West Sebago? And if the photo was taken towards Bridgton, the land does not look quite right. It coul;d be I suppose, but the swamp that is there is not in the picture.
Mike

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Hi Mike,

The "old" West Sebago station had a siding, but I've never heard or seen anything that would tell me that the "new" one did. 

I have not looked at the photo on a higher resolution, but I'm not sure that is a "switchstand".  I'll admit it does sort of look like one.  But it could also be the chance alignment of several different items, like a bush aligned with a more distant telegraph pole.  The building size and shape also tends to look more like the depot building at West Sebago. 

My understanding is that the South Bridgton station (now a house) was similar to the depots at Sandy Creek and Perleys Mills, which were reportedly both gone by the late 1920s.  My guess is the photo was taken after 1930.

I could be wrong about any or all of this,  but those are my thoughts and worth everything you paid for them.

Best Regards,
Glenn

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
Ok. We had this discussion before but I can't find it.

Mike,

Try http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=423.0

-John

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
Well I didn't look that Hard John. Just Breezed through the topics.

Looking at the picture, it is definately a switch stand. The handle is pointed at the main line. Almost at the mans shoes actually.
Mike

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
I disagree it is most definetly not a switchstand. Here is why look at the clear ballested area just below the side of the coach to the weed line there is NO long switchtie to be seen. Also the weeds are grown up all around the object if it was a switchstand the area would be clear of weeds. Also the thing you think is a handle if it is it is in the up or unlatched position not down and locked this would be a dangerous thing with a train sitting on the switch.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
The photo is on line is not as clear as mine. There are two long ties that hold up the switchstand visible.The switch is actually just before the man on the ground in the photo. The handle looks like it is pointing at his butt. I thought it was his feet, but I was looking at the online photo. The gravel Ballast covers a lot.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
Well, after a little discussion this weekend, I have found another angle to the photo. Glenn appears to be correct. The West Sebago Station. The Station was located on the East side of the track at the time, and the target in the distance looks like a flanger warning sign from the other direction. Now I can properly label the photo. Thanks for everyones input.
Mike

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »
I sent a copy of the photo to Ellis Walker, author of the "Two Foot Musings" series, and here is his response:

"The photo that you sent me is interesting. It appears to be on an excursion that used all passenger equipment without the seats-on-flat-cars ahead of the engine which were popular on the RE excursions. I agree that the location is West Sebago. The only other station building still left standing between Bridgton and the Junction was Twin Lake, and it was of a different configuration.

"There is one slight mystery to me regarding the flag holder shown on the side of the station. West Sebago is pictured in Peter Barney's recent book Bridgton & Saco River, a Pictorial Journey. That photo, which supposedly was taken in the mid-30s before the excursion business started, does not show a flag holder. Either someone nailed the flag holder back up between the time of the photo and the excursion, or Barney's photo was taken after the excursion and someone made off with the holder in the meantime.

"The car nearest to the camera is #17 which I think Ellis Atwood named Elthea for his wife. Its distinctive paired windows were different from those of all the other passenger cars."

Wolf Siedler

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
Who is Peter Cornwall?

L. Peter Cornwall was a very nice gentlemen who belonged to those early railfans travelling (and documenting) the Maine Two-Footers during their last days. He even co-authored a book on the SR&RL. I was lucky enough to meet him once; sadly - but inevitably - he passed away a few years ago at high age.
AFAIK, his collection went to Jerry DeVos - Jerry might be able to provide more details from notes or the negative if Mike's photo was indeed taken by him.

Wolf-Jobst