Author Topic: NEW Baldwin 2-4-2-T  (Read 9841 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
NEW Baldwin 2-4-2-T
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »

Check out this link....

http://www.762club.com/762home.php

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Baldwin 2-4-2-T
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Get rid of the coal bin on the rear deck, add a tender, and you've got one fine looking engine.
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:17:30 AM »
Fake rivets?  Argggg!!

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
OOOOOh brother not again last time someone kicked this old dog the old dog just about bit someone's leg off. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »
Does anyone else notice anything funny about the patterns for the wheels????......................................................They made them with the tires on them.......Now unless im completely missing somthing that just doesnt seem right.
http://www.762club.com/762gallery6.php
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »
Come on now. You have been around railroads long enough to know a patten for a wheel with flange from a wheel hub, that takes a rolled steel tire.  The patten makes a casting that is machined to make the flange and wheel in one part. Years from now when they wear out the flange. Than they can remachine the wheel so it will accept a tire.
By the way, I was your diesel engineer and you the brakeman when you use to visit WW&F over July 4th weekend.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
Hmm interesting. Didnt know that was how it was done. Just seems it would be easier to just cast them to accept tires right off the bat. I remember working with you. Good times.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »
It is cheaper to cast wheel with flange than to cast wheel hub and than have to buy the rolled rings and have them machined into railroad tires.

Ajax Rolled Ring and Machine is one supplier

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
I have a friend in the UK who has been to the L&BRR a few times.  He says that they are a first class operation that does everything to the highest possible standards.  They have researchers who look into the best and most authentic way to rebuild the line,  rolling stock and motive power.  I find it interesting that the L&B wants to replicate the sole 2-4-2 instead of one of their famous 2-6-2's.  My friend has been watching our progress and compares the rebuilding of the L&B to our efforts on the WW&F.  The Brits are very good at replicating historic steam locomotives and I look forward to seeing a brand new Lyn in steam.  I think it gives us inspiration to continue with plans to build #11 once number 9 is back in steam.  The thought of a new steam locomotive on museum rails is exciting.  It will be worth the cost and long period of time required to build it.

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we could get the Brits to make the SRRL a new engine?

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »
I apologize for my ignorance, but what are those things that look like the hands of a clock on the front of the smokeboxes of British locomotives?
Jock Ellis

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »
I apologize for my ignorance, but what are those things that look like the hands of a clock on the front of the smoke boxes of British locomotives?
Jock, those are the handles that work the door opening mechanism. Unlike the N. American system of using multiple dogs to secure the smoke box door, the British and Europeans used a mechanism similar to that on a bank vault where a central operating handle was rotated and released bolts at the periphery of the door. You loose one handle that acts as a lock nut, which frees the other handle to rotate and release the bolts. This allows the smoke box door to be opened quickly.
Keith