Author Topic: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread  (Read 116048 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
Some of the British narrow gauge locos are equipped with a valve that can control steam, air and vacuum brakes. I'm not sure if that's all at the same time, though!

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
Philip, when I studied the brake hardware underneath the Rangeley (and got all sorts of weird looks from most of the other patrons), I found an impressive arrangement of check valves which meant that both the Westinghouse and Eames systems worked off of the same single train pipe with no manual manipulation of the system to go from one operating mode to the other. The end hose was not present, but I would assume they would have used a traditional Westinghouse gladhand for the pressure retention requirements. This would also mean that their vacuum equipped engines would have been equipped with the same Westinghouse fittings- surely making poor Fred Eames roll over in his grave. Seeing such an elaborate but elegant solution was surprising and impressive to say the least. I strongly encourage fellow brake nerds to crawl around on the floor of MNG to check the whole thing out.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 02:11:05 PM »
Wow, very neat information, Alan. Thank you.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
I greatly appreciate seeing the excellent and most informative posts concerning the Eames brake system. My question about a possible precedent for a single pipe Eames continuous automatic brake system was based on my suspicion that no precedent existed, and that has been confirmed.

Mention has been made of the challenge to develop an Eames-like continuous automatic brake system that will satisfy the needs of the WW&F. I gather that considerable progress has been made.

It has been stated that the sensible approach of referring to Eames patents for design inspiration has been adopted. I think that such an approach must bring worthwhile results, if faithfully pursued. It would be of concern, however, if the WW&F were to adopt too much of the style of the Great Little Trains of Wales, great though they might be.

When planning a vacuum train brake system, one of the decisions is how to integrate the operation of the locomotive brake system with that of the trailing vehicles. Historically, commonly applied options included:
1.   Apply automatic vacuum brakes to the locomotive so that it becomes just another part of a train; or
2.   Use steam or air brakes on the locomotive that may be independently controlled when working light engine and that may be vacuum-controlled, via a vacuum/steam or vacuum/air proportional valve, from the train brake system.

For the WW&F, neither of these options is easily applicable because the locomotive brake is “straight” vacuum. Awkwardly, the need arises to provide vacuum for two separate vacuum brake systems that need vacuum creation at differing times.

The heritage value of the existing Eames Vacuum Driver Brake that is fitted to locomotive #9 is such that it should not be altered. This makes the integration of the two brake systems most difficult – or impracticable.

I have studied published photographs but I am not entirely clear as to how the various issues have been addressed in the design of the prototype continuous automatic vacuum brake. If the two systems have been kept completely separate, then there would be a need for them to be separately manipulated in service. If the two systems have been integrated, then that might spell compromise for the Eames Vacuum Driver Brake.

It would greatly clarify if we could see a schematic diagram of the prototype brake system. Then it would be clear what equipment is installed and how the various parts are interconnected. A scan of a good sketch would do.

I am not sure whether it applies throughout the WW&F but I assume that the overall aim is to preserve or recreate the state of affairs that applied on the railroad at the time of its closure, in 1933. I know that is so for locomotive #9.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:28:27 AM by John Scott »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
John,

Someone more knowledgeable on the systems like Jason or Alan can address the practicality of integrating the loco and train brakes.  I do know that 9 has vacuum brakes, 10 has steam brakes, (oxford comma John) and 52 has air pressure brakes.  I suspect the answer will be that they will always be independent and it will be engineering training and experience that governs how they are used.  I have seen in Jason's writings that he prefers to use train brakes as it makes for a smoother passenger experience and saves the locomotive brakes, which are more expensive than rolling stock brakes to replace.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2016, 01:03:11 PM »
While the Maine two footers and the Eames system have close ties to Welsh heritage, our system is a decidedly American implementation of an automatic vacuum brake system. The American approach to brake systems has not been to integrate train and locomotive brakes on a single control, but to have two separate control valves. We intend to follow this practice, which will also maintain the historical integrity of #9's straight vacuum engine brakes, and work well alongside the engine brakes on the rest of our fleet. This also will allow the engine crew to rely less upon the engine brakes, spreading brake shoe wear out through 16+ shoes, rather than just the engine.

Regarding a schematic- with tweaks and changes being made to the system during it's testing, it would be premature for us to publish a schematic. We will be pleased to include a schematic and an explanation of the system in the treatise which will be published after testing and implementation has been completed.
Shop Foreman

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
Alan, modern train brakes (Westinghouse type) while they do have two control valves are not seperate. Applying the train brake will also apply the locomotive brakes. Applying the locomotive's independant brake will only apply the brakes on the locomotives. If you apply the train brakes and do not want the engine brakes to apply....you have to bail off the independant brake.
Keith

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »
I have an original catalog from the Eames Vacuum Brake Company. It is undated, but it comes from the 1880s, I think. I thought I would share a diagram from the catalog, that illustrates the vacuum ejector of the Driver Brake equipment that is fitted to locomotive 9.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:46:26 PM by John Scott »

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
That was my first attempt at posting an image at this site. My intention is to spread some precise knowledge about the equipment and to illustrate the Eames style, when it comes to brake equipment.

The brake equipment of locomotive 9 also incorporates the brake rigging arrangement that was termed "Style A" in the Eames catalog.

The diagram, above, includes the operating lever, which is mounted vertically on locomotive 9. The lever is linked to the operating shaft of the ejector. Backward movement of the lever opens the steam valve so that vacuum is created and the brake is applied. In the mid position of the lever, the release valve H and the steam valve J are both closed. Forward movement of the lever closes the steam valve and opens the release valve, which destroys the vacuum and releases the brake.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:17:32 PM by John Scott »

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:37 AM »
The diagram, below, illustrates the Eames Style A brake rigging of locomotive 9.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:15:07 AM by John Scott »

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
I thought I'd give a short update/teaser on the control valve project.

Rick Rowlands did the casting for this project, so he, the W.A. Young Machine Shop, and Youngstown Steel Heritage Museum have my many thanks!

While there are plenty of off the shelf bits of hardware, the bulk of the valve is custom hardware. Here are some of the parts I've made so far...

Valve plunger seals, and a spring loaded tool to install/remove them

Handle blanks, their bolts, and a mandrel which I'll use to turn the blanks.

I received the castings this past weekend, so I've begun machining them as well. This work is a combination of manual and CNC operations. The shop where I work at UT Dallas has knee mills that can be used in both modes, and it allows for efficiency gains when working on "production" type projects like this. Simple things, or one offs I'll do manually, but with many repeated operations across all three valves, I've been using that capability more than I typically do.

I've started working on the valve bodies- establishing primary datum planes and putting in hole patterns. Each valve requires seven setups, so these will be the most time consuming part to finish by far. Side note, I made the aluminum fixture plate in anticipation of this project and working on these castings, and its paid off after just two days. I've been really thrilled with how easy it is to set up small parts, and add sub fixtures.

The quadrants are almost finished, needing only grooves for detents.

The levers are almost done as well, just missing the detent guide hole and handle mount. I plan to finish them tomorrow.

I still need to make the actual valves, turn the handles, finish the valve bodies, and make a run of custom fasteners to hold everything together. I think it might have been possible to buy bolts that would've gotten the job done, but I've got some special touches in mind that should really complement the aesthetics of the rest of the valve. Anyway... more later.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:37:37 AM by Alan Downey »
Shop Foreman

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »
OOOOoooo! Lovely work!
Be still my heart!!

Gawdon

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
Wow!! Incredible workmanship ;D ;D

BTW, Gordon, we over-50 people should avoid using the phrase "Be still my heart!"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:31:20 AM by John McNamara »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
Beautiful work Alan, thanks for the update.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
Very impressive work, Alan. Thank you for sharing your progress with us!