Author Topic: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread  (Read 117124 times)

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
Do these vacuum hose couplings break apart like glad hand couplings do?  Or must they be broken by hand?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
They pull apart readily on their own; they need to in order to function as an automatic brake.  They are very simple compared to air brake glad hands as the vacuum holds them together.  They have a crooked leg and a tab/slot which keeps them aligned and together after manual assembly and prior to pulling a train pipe vacuum.

They are Eames all the way.  We have two originals and have made several copies. 

See ya
Jason

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
What kind of brake rigging adjustments were needed on Coach 8?  Or maybe the better question would be what did we learn on Coach 8 that can be transferred to the other rolling stock?
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
What Jason, Johnathan and many others have accomplished is commendable.  What I haven't seen in this discussion, nor on the Facebook page is the results of the testing down the line and how well the system worked, or didn't work.  Any reports available to share?  Next steps?

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »
Check out the Welsh Highland Railway site. They appear to have the identical brake hose setup on their locos and cars.
WW&F has far less equipment, making vacuum brake installation quicker, cheaper.
The system is also an added safety factor.
Just another very well done custom improvement.  ;)
Paul Uhland

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
As a recently-joined member, this is my first post. I regret that some of it will be a little negative. Please understand that I greatly admire what is being achieved by the members of the WW&F Railway Museum. My intention is to contribute, from afar, in what will be an ultimately positive manner.

Safety chains have been discussed in this thread. In the absence of a continuous automatic brake system, safety chains compensate by reducing the likelihood of and controlling the risks associated with train separation in cases of coupling failure. This is necessary so that unbraked cars will not run free, putting occupants and others in danger. A further advantage of keeping the train together is that brakemen will then have the best chance of bringing all of it to rest in a safe manner.

When continuous brakes have been fitted, it may be considered that safety chains will be no longer needed. In the event of train separation, both portions of the train will be brought to rest by the automatic action of the continuous brake.

Having studied the excellent and informative posted photographs of the trial WW&F continuous vacuum brake system, I have noted that end cocks have been included in the brake pipe of each vehicle. Some of these would be accessible by passengers. Accidental or deliberate closing one of these end cocks would remove brake system continuity in a train and a safety hazard would thus be introduced: the locomotive engineer could no longer control the automatic brake system throughout the train and the hazards associated with train separation would be introduced.

Historically, automatic vaccuum brake systems have never incorporated end cocks because they are unnecessary. Hose couplings self-seal onto the mating receptacles (termed “acorns”, because of their shape) that are provided at car ends. The vacuum holds everything together. A hose can be pulled from a receptacle (at the rear of a train) and replaced to prove continuity. Inside a caboose, a Conductor’s Emergency Cock is provided and connected to the brake pipe. By manipulation of that cock a train can be brought to a stand at any time.

End cocks are unsafe, as detailed above, and they are unnecessary. One of the beauties of the vacuum brake is its simplicity. That inherent safety is compromised by the introduction of unnecessary end cocks.

Another advantage of the vacuum brake is that it permits both graduated application and release of the brakes throughout a train. That makes for smooth train handling.

I do understand that the WW&F vacuum brake system is still experimental. I am sure that the proven and exacting approach of the WW&F shop forces will eventually produce a system that will be well worthy of those magnificent trains. I am sure that all realistic standards of safety will be met.

John B Scott
Melbourne
Australia

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:10 AM »
Nice post John, with some well thought out ideas. Perhaps on future versions, the shut off can be moved below the platform.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
Hello John,  thanks for your feedback.

Without any previous operating experience with a continuous brake, we wanted to preserve the opportunity to cut off a series of cars under partial application.  Additionally we weren't sure of the receiver's ability to seal, so we opted for valves as we learned the system. 

We'll likely move toward a standard of dumping the train pipe vacuum (full application) prior to uncoupling (and intentionally breaking hoses).  That procedure will allow us to eliminate the dump valves for the reasons you state.  Our initial testing showed the one receiving thimble we have (our Eames receiver doesn't much look like an acorn) to seal quite well. 

At this early stage we haven't yet thought of everything and we do appreciate the feedback.  Private messages can carry more in depth discussions as well. 

Thanks,
Jason

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »
I think the end valve issue can easily be fixed by mounting the valve down at buffer level and just prior to the flex line as is done with standard railroad practice.  I don't know if a smaller version of the standard cut-off cock is available but the lift and rotate feature would prevent accidental movement that could be a safety issue. 

I would suggest following FRA standards as much as practical since we know that is an issue to be faced in the future, might as well be as compliant as possible - less to have to change later...........
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
I am in the final stages of a grant request for the Vacuum Brake Project and a little bird (actually he isn't terribly little) said Alan Downey did his senior thesis or similar project on the Eames brake system.  Could someone (like Alan) provide a copy of this work so I can perhaps purloin some ideas, or in the words of John McNamara, do some research on his work?

I don't have Alan's email address so if someone could forward this to him that would also help.

Thanks,

Bill

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
Messaged received, Bill. I'll send you an email with some info.

I've just begun manufacturing the hardware for the control valve, and I'm planning on sharing the details of the work on here soon.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
It was Tom Leher who wrote:
"Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize, but always call it "original research""

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
I wonder from where Tom got it.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
It was Tom Leher who wrote:
"Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize, but always call it "original research""
Yes. I gave proper credit to Tom Lehrer in an email to Bill.