Author Topic: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread  (Read 116059 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Eames Train Brakes - Official Work Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »
Ok, setting the record straight. 

Our system will be automatic.  Vacuum will keep the brakes off; a sudden loss of vacuum will result in the instantaneous full application of all train brakes, except the locomotive.  In short it is the vacuum equvalent to a standard Westinghouse style compressed air train brake.

The design is functionally equivalent to the UK system but was is, in fact, distinctly American.  I was hoping to unveil this discussion later- as there is a substantial back story both to the original design and to our picking this system and carrying it forward.  There are numerous reasons we are choosing this route.

I'd like to get 9 done and formally prepare this topic for debut.  It is not yet a board-sanctioned project; as such it's still hypothetical, though we are very excited by it.

See us
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »
Thanks Jason. Sounds good to me.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
Thanks, Jason. I look forward to hearing more details about the system you're developing. It sounds like it will correct a lot of the problems associated with the original Eames design.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 07:46:47 PM »
Sounds like this will be the basis for one or (hopefully) a series of interesting articles in the newsletter.  I'm curious on the history of vacuum versus compressed (right term?  or pressurized?) air brakes.  Particularly in application on the Maine two-footers.

Also curious on the use of safety chains.  Am I correct in assuming safety chains were a more recent development and not used normally on the original Maine two-footers?
What–me worry?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
The Mid-Continent Railway Museum's website has a nice history of the Eames vacuum brake, which includes the violent death of its inventor: http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/dictionary/eamesbrakes.htm

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
That was a great resource for us.  Our system is one which Fred Eames was developing at the time of his death.  We want to make him proud!

Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
Sounds like this will be the basis for one or (hopefully) a series of interesting articles in the newsletter.  

I hope so!
-John M

Craig "Red" Heun

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 05:39:53 PM »
Thanks Jason et al

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
Yes, that is the European Automatic-Vacuum System.
I'm searching for a diagram and/or description of the US 1880s Straight Vacuum System.

As I understand it . .

Each Car and the Locomotive had a Vacuum Brake Diaphragm or Cylinder.
They were all connected to a Vacuum Line that ran the length of the train.
The Loco had an Eductor (like a Venturi) to generate the Vacuum.
Blowing steam from the Boiler thru the Eductor created a Vacuum in the Train Vacuum Line and applied the Brakes.
Releasing the Vacuum, bu admitting air into the Vacuum Line, released the Brakes.

What I don't know is whether there was a Check Valve in the Vacuum Line after the Eductor?
If the engineer applied vacuum to the Train Line via the Eductor, was it "locked-in" by a Check Valve?
Or did the Train Line Vacuum go back to ZERO when the steam flow thru the Eductor was stopped?

We DO know that the exhaust steam from the Eductor was released to the atmosphere by one of three methods:
#1  It was dumped to atmosphere via an open-ended pipe; this was VERY NOISY when the brakes were applied.
#2  It was dumped to the Smokebox and up the Stack; this quieted the released steam.
#3  It was dumped via a Muffler; this typically protruded above the Cab Roof.

So, I think we really need TWO Brake Valves:
(1)  One to admit steam to the Eductor, generate the Vacuum in the Train Brake Pipe, and apply the Brakes,
and, assuming there is a Check Valve to "lock-in" the Train Line Vacuum,
(2)  One to admit Air into the Train Line to relieve the Vacuum and release the Brakes.

Were any parts of the Vacuum Brake system on #9 when she arrived from CT???
Extremely-Narrow-Mindedly,
Tom Werb

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
Jason,  noted your "excitement" over the performance of the Eames system.  If it does work as expected in regular service, is the plan to equip the rest of the fleet to include #10?  If yes, then what would be your preferred order of equipment to receive the brake system upgrades?  And by the way, congrats on a magnificent job on #9.  Although I had only a very tiny part in the rebuild I was so proud to see her rolling - again BRAVO !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:15:56 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
John...10 has steam-activated brakes, I read recently.
Will that work?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:13:08 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
Steam brakes are setup to act as brakes on the engine only.  Train brakes utilize either the Eames or Westinghouse systems.  One being a vacuum activated system versus the compressed air system that is standard on U.S. railroads.  With the return of #9 with a working Eames system we now have the ability to run trains with a full braking system (if the passenger equipment is so equipped), versus what we now have which is engine brakes and train crew using the cars handbrakes for stopping.  With the steep grades to be incurred going down from TOM I'm sure the BOD and Jason in particular will be deciding what will need to be done with the revenue equipment in order to have a safe but historically accurate trainset.  Hence my previous post.
Moxie Bootlegger

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »
Some details on the Eames system we plan to install for train brakes:

1.  It will be for train brakes only- they will not actuate engine brakes.
2.  The actuating equipment is completely independent of 9's current Eames system; in fact all 3 locomotives will have the Eames train brake equipment as add-on equipment.
3.  The train brake will be automatic in action- that is, vacuum in the train pipe will be used to hold the brakes off.  Vacuum stored on each car, charged from the vacuum pipe, will also actuate the brakes.  Those details parallel the Westinghouse system.  Unlike Westinghouse, no triple valve (or any other complicated valve) is required.
4.  The system is a historical Eames automatic train brake design- albeit little used because Westinghoise grabbed the market and vacuum brakes become less effective on long (50+) car trains.  The Eames system we are adopting uses a single train pipe (as opposed to two).
5.  While the original WW&F used straight Eames vacuum brakes, the car equipment is nearly identical.
6.  The first set of test equipment is scheduled to be built in our shop this winter.

See ya
Jason
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:16:07 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Jason.  Are you planning to build the engine independent brake valve assembly from scratch or is there some patterns or old equipment to copy from.  Also, is the plan to equip coach #3 first, then I assume 103, and 312.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »
Don't forget Coach 8 and caboose 320, John - the passenger carrying equipment probably comes first, although equipping 309 with a pass-through pipe, as seen in original photos, would be neat for photo shoots.

Dave Crow