Author Topic: Cold Spring  (Read 7465 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Cold Spring
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
As mentioned in another topic, we spent some time Sunday looking for the elusive cold spring. This has led to more research and re-reading where I found it.
  In an article in Down East magazine, October 1968, Edgar Mead repeats what he wrote in Busted and Still Running in that same Year. He was describing a trip North and the last station he mentioned was Ingalls Road where they met the motor car.  I will quote the next paragraph.
   "Near by was Deep Cut, another of the hilltops, a long cutting through a ledge, now lined with rows of small hemlocks. Along the bucolic stretch of track, with rails and telegraph line the only reminders of civilization, there was a cold spring right beside the roadbed. The spring had bubbled in the middle of the survey line, so construction crews piped its ice-cold water to a mossy enclosure of stones. Although not on the timetable, Cold Spring was a regular stop for nearly every summertime train with a moment to Spare."
   This leads me to believe we were in the right spot. That clay pipe may have actually been the right one. I would like to research that spot some more. There was water on the East side but no evidence that is was flowing like it was on the West side.
   Now, not to ask to much, but what is the possibility that there were two springs they stopped at? In Trains magazine, Feb. 1959, there is a story called "I Rented a Railroad for $35". In this story, the author talks about running the #8 South. After passing South Bridgton, Everett Brown tells them they will stop for water. The Author describes the location as follows. "From the pilot forward to the horizon atop a small rise, the rails stretched upgrade in a straight line, traversing a shallow fill in the foreground, trenching a hill in the background." A couple sentences later,"We slowed to a gentle stop on the grade midway between a cut and fill." Still a few more sentences later,"A small path led through the wood-worn bare by the countless treads of train crews. At the end was a crystal clear spring of pure mountain water emanting from the rock."-Robert Adams, Trains Magazine, Feb. 1959.
   So now I am thinking we may have found one, but still may have one to find.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »
Mike,
That first description surely sounds like what we observed.  Especially the part you noted about the water flowing out the one side while staying puddled on the other. The water did seem to be coming from nowhere except under the roadbed. Sounds like another trip could be on the agenda to find the second spring, eh?
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
If there is more than one, the description keeps them within a mile of eachother. But the story was printed 19 years after the rented train ride. Memories become cloudy.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
After reviewing (and reviewing) Gus Pratts film, I have come to the conclusion it is time for another spring hunt. Based on the film, I now have a good idea where one of the springs was at. We stopped looking too soon. I believe there was more than one, due to some written descriptions. But these could be wrong too due to the fact so much time passed between the trips and the writings (10+ years). But the film does not lie. The southbound train went through deep cut. Then stopped at the spring. The Fir tree (Hemlock?) covered cut can be seen in the background, some distance away. Just my thought. I know a shortcut to get there, it will put us at Ingalls Road and save fording the Beaverdams again.
Mike

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
I know a shortcut to get there, it will put us at Ingalls Road and save fording the Beaverdams again.

I know that it is possible to park at the end of the drivable part of Ingalls Road and walk down hill to get to the ROW, as I've done that. It's a bit of a scramble, but perfectly dry.  ;)

-John

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
There's a dirt road that comes in from 117 that will take you right to the station location, prvided the culvert is still there, and the beavers haven't moved down stream a little.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
Mike, I've watched the new Gus Pratt video 5 times and it's Great, the B&SR footage is just super.  I was thinking about you and Dana when I saw the train stop at Cold Spring and everyone walked down the hill to the spring.  I figured you guys would have a better idea where it is from seeing that part.  I noticed the train goes through the cut with the large rock on the left after they leave the spring.  If I remember that's the area where Dana found the telegraph insulator on a hike a few years ago.  We probably could have walked to the spring from there as it looks like it wasn't that far.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
Roughly a mile away. Not a long walk on a railroad grade by any means, as long as the beavers left us something to walk on.
Mike

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »
I agree, Mike, I think we quit too soon.  I've watched the Gus Pratt film about 8 times now (excellent work, Stephen Hussar, as usual!) and the train definitely went through Deep Cut before stopping at the spring, which is on the west side of the track according to the images.  Then there is that long tangent ahead of the loco and then the next scene shows the train passing that big rock that looks like an elephant's head at that sharp curve.  Maybe part of our Fall Field trip should include another spring hunt.  Spring forward, Fall go back?