Author Topic: Steam Weekends  (Read 12538 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Weekends
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
Speaking as an Oracle database administrator, it's not the database administrator's fault the application is not used correctly -- that's up to the application managers and users.  The DBA only supplies the tools.

James - if you're a DBA, you're off the hook!

- Bill
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 06:07:53 AM »
I'm not a DBA for the State, although I might be considered the DBA for the RR.  Anyway, I agree with Bill that it's up to the users to get it right.  Blame it on budget cutbacks.

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
So how does one go about actually getting a permit now? I know the steam road firemen took home-based programs from International Correspondence School (or one like it) before taking their tests. Incidentally, when working at The Great Train Store in Atlanta, I met a retired CSX engineer who hired out as a fireman on the ACL in 1947. Part of his training near Wildwood, FL was spent learning how to fire a wood burner. Uh, you don't have that requirement do you?
Jock Ellis
Jock Ellis

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
One gets a permit by filling out a form and sending it plus a sizable "donation" to the State.  Eventually should you decide to take the test, you send in more money for a test date.  Once you take (and hopefully pass) the test, you send in more money for your license.

No requirement for firing a wood burner at the WW&F.