Author Topic: Albion Day 2008  (Read 25060 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Day 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »
Mike;
This is my second attempt at this message. I think my first may have been trumped by Gordon's posting. Since my first has disappeared and I don't know how to retrieve it, I'll try again. I'll meet you about 7:30 at Sheepscot (now Gordon will be there as well). We should grab spike mauls, track gauges, lining bars, shovels, the five gallon bucket with the spacer bar, wrenches, chalk and the tie marking gauge along with other implements of destruction. We should also grab Dana's Tie Spacing Rope (Patent Pending).
I don't know how far away we'll be from needing to deal with the stub switch so I'll take a photo of the Sheepscot switch for a guide. Hopefully the slide plates are still around. I don't remember if the entire switch was dismanteled so we may get bogged down a bit with that. See you tomorrow morning!
Dave

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
Dave,
If you plan to honor me by stopping at the Alna FD for breakfast, be sure to get the Kielbasa and sauerkraut omelet.  That and a cup of coffee should ensure you work alone.  :o)
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 06:49:58 PM »
Another Albion day is in the books. Some more rail was relaid. And them some more was re-relaid. 6 guys, 150 feet (or so) feet of track, no problem. When I get a minute, I'll put a few pictures on.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:22:05 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
All;
To expand on Mike's report, it was like a WW&F Ry version of the Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day. We keep relaying the same track over and over. This time it was because Carl thought the track we laid last year was too high. This time we got back to where we ended last year, including the switch. Brad, if you see a nearly new John Deere in Mike's backyard urge him to bring it back. I think Mike went for coffee in the tractor he enjoyed it so much. We actually got a lot done with just five of us - Steve Smith, Bob Gabriel, Gawdon, Mike and myself.
I think we need to open the discussion again about helping the Albion group, which only consists of Carl and Phil, more. Nothing got done there since we  visited in November 2007 other than lifting the track we put down.
I think we got a lot done today with only five people and no adult supervision. It again makes me proud to be a part of this group.
Dave
PS to Duncan - bummer, no kielbasa today. It was ham at the Alna V.F.D. though it was a nice breakfast.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »
Dave,
That would account for why you all were able to work together and finish so much.  Sounds like you all had a good time.  I wish time and circumstance would have allowed me to join you.  Alsa, with no kielbasa and a ton of leftover "home" work I just couldn't make it.
Duncan
PS: Maybe next year.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »
Photos Anyone??? Here we are at the start of the day.

And looking through the weeds, I did manage to locate some track from the past. It was only from last year and I help lay it, but it was still the past. Looked kind of sad out there actually.

After some initial head scratching, we got down to business. The first four lengths of rail are down, and we have started spiking. Also note the green Ballast regulator in the background. That was my choice tool of the day.

At the end of the day, we wound up with a track that looks like this.

Another fine day to be in Albion. And I hope next year, it looks like it did when we left.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:34:26 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Isn't that where we left off last year?  I have to admit, I was wavering on going to Albion due to things that need doing at home before winter, and when I read Stewart's report that the track had been taken up...again...i just couldn't do it.  The WW&F crew has laid that same track three times now and I can't justify spending the time doing the same thing over and over and over.  Albion is such a worthy project and the limited time we can spend there needs to be used to make progress.  I hope the track isn't too low this year...

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
What is the reason the track keeps being taken up?
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »
The first time it was taken up was due to rotten ties. They unbolted everything, marked the rails and stacked them up. This made it difficult because not all jointbars are the same. When we laid it down last year, we put it on top of all the ballast. Carl felt it was too high so he again unbolted what we had done and tossed the track into the weeds. This year, we levelled the ballast and I removed some with that nice ballast regulator.
   Everything we did is dead level with only one small dip just before the Flanger at the south end.

And Dave, I'm with you. Until the track gets put back, the more sessions at Albion, the better.
Mike

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 08:06:22 PM »
   Mike,  The pictures are great to see.  Hope Carl was included in the decison as to the level the track was laid.  Thanks again for the pictures and up date of Albion.                   Fred L. Kuhns

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
i strongly suggested to Carl (and Phil) that the track we laid this year had better be in the same place next year or we would turn right around. I even told him we'd send a scout the week before to double check. I think the track is too low but that's where Carl wanted it.
Mike is being very modest about his skills with a tractor. The only low spot is where we put down a section of track before Mike discovered the tractor. And this was without benefit of any surveying tools. If he ran the excavator leveling our R.O.W. there would be very little leveling. Maybe Santa will put a Deere under Mike's tree this year.
I took some photos as well. With the boys at school I'll have to figure out how to download them to the computer they left behind.
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
Awe c'mon Dave, I wasn't that good. Steve and I leveled a pad large enough for the tractor to sit on. Once it was level, it was easy. I just hope it is as easy the next time. The same tractor for about an hour should get the rest level enough.
Mike

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »
Great pictures, Mike -- thanks for posting them!

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 07:28:53 AM »
Dave didn't mention the large, wide, relentless grin on Mike's face as he maneuvered the John Deere around.
Especially when he had it on three wheels as he lifted the switch 'insta-track' section.  8)
Seriously, Mike Fox and his green shovel made the job go a lot easier, nice and level. ;)
Gawdon

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »
I only wish it were mine  ;D
Mike