Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 536066 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 07, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »
Thank you for the walk,Mike,and for keeping posted the far away onlooker that I' am. Ive been following the tremendous amount of work, you and your crew have been doing on the mountain since I found about that endearing two-footer on fb a year back. BTW, today those pics belong already  to the past with the current FWW track laying.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 07, 2018, 06:48:55 AM »
Like Alain, and from even further away, I am watching every inch of the on-site progress and rejoicing in the knowledge of what you all are achieving up there, in the Maine woods.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 07, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »
Hopefully someone who had a camera today or perhaps tomorrow could take and post the same walk photographically that Mike did with all the track down.  That new 1420 feet is a beautiful set of two foot curves through a stunning set of Maine mountain Woods.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Richard Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
  • life member
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 07, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
track looks naked without ballast. when will ballast be put down?
J J
slow and steady

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 07, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
Ballast will be put down in the spring.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:39 PM »
Bill, I was going to do that next weekend if it does not get done before. I would like to do a kind of a before and after..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 07, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »
Mike...for a minute there I thought you were going to start ballasting next weekend, to satisfy your latest non-member  "fan".  ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:38:34 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
Mike It would be great I do like before and after pics.

Richard Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
  • life member
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
Are there any more culverts to install between eot and bridge?
J J
slow and steady

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
We just need to finish one that was installed so our contractor could have access to the south side of the bridge. It will need some fill.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 29, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
We are taking advantage of the early snow this weekend, and starting our tree cutting Saturday. We will be just south of the bridge, clearing the grade. The Bulldozer is not going up until January sometime, after repairs are made to it. So we will likely focus on small bushes and trees, unless the tree can fall out of the way to be moved later with the dozer.

Mike

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 13, 2019, 08:44:12 AM »
Had a great time cutting wood Sat. Mike did his best to drop them across the  roadbed where I and others cut them into lengths to be piled to the side. Were cleaning off the East side so that when we can work with trucks in there again,probably July, we can put stone in the ditch to stop the erosion. I think most of that will be done by the contractor. We have about 900 Ft. to be cleared of trees and I think we have about 300 Ft. done. Next Sat. we should get a lot done if lots of people show up. Lets hope.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 13, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
Saturday, January 12th was a balmy day that started with temperatures in the low single digits.  The day warmed into the teens, but the wind picked up as the day progressed.

First, Ed Lecuyer's November 2017 Mountain Extension map for reference.  Tree cutting was along the central and northern portions of section 5.

The end of track built during the 2018 Fall Work Weekend in October reached the vicinity of location 10.  For next Saturday's (January 19th) "Steam and Saws" work day, I understand locomotive #52 will depart Sheepscot with volunteers between 8 a.m. and 8.30 a.m., and the rest of the day will shuttle volunteers between Top of Mountain (meeting the steam train) and end of track.

Some photos from yesterday, to add to what Mike posted last night...

This was the view from Trout Brook bridge looking south a little before 9 a.m.  Mike Fox and others had already arrived and had started two bonfires to burn the slash, as seen in the distance.

A view of the north bonfire, looking north toward the bridge.  Ship Capt. J.B. Smith and Fred Morse warm by the fire as they discuss the day's proceedings.

A view of the south bonfire, looking south.  Zack Wyllie cuts up a fallen tree, as Mike Fox, Ed Lecuyer and James Patten drag the slash to the fire.

The crew makes short work of a fallen fir tree.  Mike, who spent a good portion down in the east ditch, works on the stump, while Fred and Zack cut up the tree.  J.b (back to us) is picking up slash for the north fire.  In the background, James, Ed and Stewart Rhine put slash on the south fire.  Much of this coming summer's right-of-way preparation work will focus on repair of the east ditch.

Fred's new Mountain chair -- although I saw a few others using it!

Ed and Stewart tend the north fire.  This view gives a better perspective on size/depth of the east ditch.

A photo of some of the folks working on the tree crew yesterday:  Fred; Steve Zuppa; Mike; Ed; J.B.; and James.  Not in the photo:  Zack; Stewart; and me.

Mike takes one last look around 3 p.m. before we called it a day.  It was getting mighty cold with the wind at this point.  Ribbons placed on the tress by Mike (an example is on the right) marks the boundaries for cutting along the ROW.

A cold winter's view of the bridge and Trout Brook, looking north.  So far it has not been a very snowy winter along the coast.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 13, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
Bill, thank you for documenting the progress. Always great to work with everyone. A little hard work a lot of great conversation.

A side note about the ditch repair. I had thought we needed a permit for this, and have the permit ready for submission. I started second guessing why we need a permit so I contacted our DEP rep. He confirmed that we indeed do not need a permit to repair the ditch as long as we are not installing culverts or getting close to the brook, both of which are covered on seperate permits.

So, we are clear to go to 218!
Mike

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 13, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »
Mike,

It is good that you have such a great working relationship with our regulators.  I know, from past experience it helps a lot when they trust that we will always strive to do the right thing.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~