Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 532884 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #510 on: February 17, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
First things first. I would like to say a big thank you to all that came and helped today. It was a great time. I cut down 95% of the trees that were cut down, and after we got a good rhythm going, the tree would hit the ground, and two more saws (thanks Jay and Stewart) would work the top up while I worked up from the butt. Steve Z was up early, cut a few trees and the walking was getting to his knees. Fred came up, wanted to know why we didn't have two fires going, and left I think with Steve, probably right after we lit the second pile.
So, get to the photos you say...ok

Looking South at second burn pile

Looking North, across location 6, at second burn pile

Looking south, halfway between between location 7 & 8

Zoomed in on Bob Cavanaugh

Looking North from halfway between location 4 & 5, Dwight walking toward the second pile

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 17, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
DID YOU KNOW?:  That a well organized WW&F volunteer crew can make a substantial tree disappear (from initial cut to stacking/burning) in UNDER five minutes?

Remarkable!

Also, there were at least 40 snow-chasing visitors today coming to the railroad to hike/snowshoe.  Lots of little kids enjoying the experience.  A very successful snow weekend!

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 17, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
Paid passenger count was 74... we’re very pleased with our first winter service offering.  More details will come...

Cutting crew did fabulous.  The combined work/ public event blended nicely and made for a great festive atmosphere.

See ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
As I said when this was first announced, this was a brilliant idea. I'm sure it will grow if it's done again.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
We were too far away from the train to get many visitors, so we had no idea how many guests were around. The ones that did make the trek to us were very interested in what we were doing and why.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 17, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
Paid passenger count was 74... we’re very pleased with our first winter service offering.  More details will come...

I was very impressed with how today went.  Like Mike, I was mainly on the Mountain Extension today with tree cutting and burning, so only had a chance to talk with a couple of families there, but they were greatly enjoying the event.  I did have some time near the end of the day at Top of Mountain to talk with visitors as we picked up coach #8 for the trip back to Sheepscot.  They also had a great time.

Nice, nice job done by Steve P., Jason and everyone who made today's public event happen.  And thank you, Cindy, for the nice lunch for the tree cutting crew.
What–me worry?

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 18, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »
Mike
Thanks for adding location numbers

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 18, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
I know the map is available for reference, so I figured it will help with knowing where we are.
Mike

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 18, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
Agree Mike.  Whenever we are doing work on the Mtn Extension, map numbers should be included on postings to the Forum.  It really helps orient us, even if we are not there in person.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 18, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
Second that.
Clearing and grubbing the entire ROW to 218 looks close to done. Outstanding!
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 19, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
We're not all done yet. Mike hauled a lot of hardwood trees out near 218 at the North end that has to be cut into firebox length and hauled back to Sheepscot as well as some soft wood to give away. Might take 2 or 3 Sats. to do it.

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 19, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
Hi Paul, Entire ROW to 218 is far from being complete as far as cutting the tree's.

Form the south headed north, Section 4 up to location 9 is complete. Plus a very short distance more. Location 9 is the end of planned track work during Fall Work Weekend.  We  stop putting brush to the fire's around 2PM. This is to give the fire's time to burn down before we leave around 4PM. This year we continued to cut tree's and brush past 2PM, so we have many brush piles still waiting to be burned. Both on the south and north ends of the ROW.

Section 6 Location 9 to Section 6 location 13 (trout brook) have not been cleared.  Just a short distance at Location 13, the south side of Trout Brook has been cleared   for work on the south bridge abutment.

All tree's and brush has been cleared in section 7, Bridge site to 218.

We can only burn when ground is covered with snow. During 2017 by the end of February  there was no snow.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Many thanx for the details, Dwight. 
I'll follow and note dis woik on my map copy, as I usually do.
It's all good!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:23:58 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 19, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
Mike, do all the stumps on the shoulders of the roadbed get pulled, or will they be left to rot on their own?  I assume there is plenty of clearance to the dynamic envelope of the train from all remaining trees along the right-of-way?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 19, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
Hi Dave. Only going to remove what is necessary to prep the roadbed. Most of the rest are going to be cut flush with the ground and let them rot in place..or at least that is my intention. It all depends if we get to it or not..

Should be plenty of clearance for the train. If anything is close, we can always cut them later.
Mike