Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 536356 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »
Is Fred the museum spokesman for Husqvarna? ;D

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
Jeff, I bet you would like to be here when were cutting brush!

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
Maybe I'm lazy or just can't follow all of the tree clearing progress easily, but would it be possible to show on the Mountain Extension map the extent of the tree clearing so far?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Crow

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
Here's the map (also found in the Nov/Dec 2017 Newsletter.)

Track ends at Location 1; the tree that was blocking the ROW just south of Location 1 was removed on 1/20/18, then skidded out using #9.

Trees have been (or are being) cleared from Locations 1 to 4 and Location 8. We are waiting to remove trees at Location 6 (Section 3) due to permitting. Trees have also been cleared at Locations 13-17.

Goal for spring/summer: Repair ROW up to Location 9.
Goal for Fall Work Weekend: Lay track up to Location 9 (1300 feet from Location 1).

Mike or Jason can offer corrections/comments.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
Right on Ed.

Track laying will be the big push, so we are going to try a few ideas to aid in the laying.

First, a new method for moving and laying rail is being planned. It is a work in progress, so I hope the planners try it out before use this fall.

Second, and this may just be about the best improvement, but has been done before. We will pre stage ties. Stacks of 30, every 60 feet. This will enable us to use our help steadily, with less down time as the car is reloaded. We will also place spikes, joint bars and bolts near these piles, so everything is there as we go along.

And lastly. The new rail distribution will be with heavier equipment, so new "insta-track" braces will be made. This will allow steady northward progess, and a spiking crew can follow along.

1200 feet may seem like a lot, but, 300 feet a day using the old way was not uncommon.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
Jeff, I bet you would like to be here when were cutting brush!

Fred,

I'm not to be trusted with a chainsaw. :o

Jeff

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:53 PM »
Here's the map (also found in the Nov/Dec 2017 Newsletter.)

Track ends at Location 1; the tree that was blocking the ROW just south of Location 1 was removed on 1/20/18, then skidded out using #9.

Trees have been (or are being) cleared from Locations 1 to 4 and Location 8. We are waiting to remove trees at Location 6 (Section 3) due to permitting. Trees have also been cleared at Locations 13-17.

Goal for spring/summer: Repair ROW up to Location 9.
Goal for Fall Work Weekend: Lay track up to Location 9 (1300 feet from Location 1).

Mike or Jason can offer corrections/comments.

What will it take to repair the ROW at location 4, the slide? Also, any particular ROW work planned for SWW?

Jeff S.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
Mike Fox wrote:
Location 4 is getting repaired by our local contractor. Gravel fill faced with stone, like the big fill at location 1 was.   

[Moderator's Note: SWW thread is here: http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3124.0.html ]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:00:54 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
1200 feet may seem like a lot, but, 300 feet a day using the old way was not uncommon.

Which leads to the question:  What is our record for track laying on a work weekend?

I have two guesses:
-- Fall 2001, when we laid the main line between Sheepscot Mills to and across Humason Brook; or
-- Two years later, when we laid the track from Trask's Crossing to Alna Center.

OK, I just cheated, and looked at the old newsletters posted on the forum.  50+ volunteers laid about 1,350 feet of track in October 2001; and not quite 1,300 feet with 60+ volunteers during the 2003 fall work weekend. 

So 1,200 feet this fall sounds very reasonable.
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »
It would be nice if, particularly in Section 3, some of the low branches and small trees down to the creek were removed to open up the view of the stream for passengers. Maybe not this winter, but next winter for sure...... Ever since the first time I walked this section, I've admired the view of the stream from there.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »
We may be able trim some branches, but that is a shoreland area and we can do very little. We could remove downed deadwood to improve that, but very limited small vegitation can be cut. There is a spot between location 8 and 9 that is out of the shoreland that can be limbed, and that area is very scenic.
Mike

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Ed,

Thanks for posting the map and summarizing the cutting locations.

Dave Crow

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
Saturday Mountain Extension Work Plan:

We have gotten permission from the DEP to clear trees from the permitted Section 3 "Pinch Point" area!  This will be done, along with burning as much of that new slash, and old slash remaining from prior clearing on Section 4.

Mike will drive up first thing in the AM.

Diesel work train with one coach will depart SS 8:30AM.  Volunteers who want to help with cutting and burning are encouraged to ride this train, however feel free to ride a later public train up to the action. 

Steam passenger trains will begin running at 10AM with two coaches.  They will run at least hourly, last train leaving SS at 2PM.

There will be a caboose set up at ToM with heat, hot chocolate, and Steve P to host the public.

Should be a good shin-dig, we hope to see you!!

see ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
It has been mentioned before, but don't wear your Sunday best near the brushpiles.
Mike

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 13, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
Hi Folks,

To help us get us started on the right foot this Saturday I'll be cooking up a breakfast of eggs, biscuits, meats, and fruit along with coffee and tea to wash it all down. I'll make eggs to order, but if you want poached, you might be on your own. I'll have breakfast up starting at 7:30 and will be clearing up at 8:15 before the work train departs.

See you there,
Steve