Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 536182 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #330 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
A discussion relating to improved efficiencies in track laying has been split to: http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3046.0.html
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Edited for corrections based on Mike's later post.

After James and I finished walking the line yesterday measuring culvert locations, we continued walking past end of track all the way to Route 218.  Here are some pictures I took of the route down the mountain.  Mike and others can correct any mistakes I make in the photo descriptions.  Many of the pictures have location markers set out in 300-foot intervals.  I believe the starting point for these markers was the end of track at Top of Mountain before about 900 feet of track was added to bring equipment to the edge of the first washout.  The first washout, where Mike has set the 4-foot steel culvert, falls somewhere in the 1000-foot range.

1.  View looking south toward the first washout where Mike has set the first culvert (the right-of-way in shadows in the distance).  Barely visible in the distance is the current end of track, not yet in service.  The back of the 1200 FT sign can be seen on the right.

2.  At 1500 FT, there's a minor washout.  Mike has set a culvert several feet to the south, about where the surveyor's stake is on the right.  Jeff will bring in material to fill in the washout.  In the far distance, Mike can barely been seen walking toward the Kubota setting a relief culvert 200 feet north of this location at the next washout .

3.  Yesterday, Mike set the relief culvert at the north end of this year's permitted work zone next and last washout to be addressed this season.  Just beyond is the area where a portion of the right-of-way has slid.

4.  Mike finishing up work at the last washout on the relief culvert as James P. looks on.

5.  Turning 180 degrees and walking a few steps north, here is the section where a portion of the right-of-way slid.  Just beyond is the 1800 FT marker.

6.  The view south from the opposite end of the slide.  Note Mike and the Kubota in the distance.

7.  Turning 180 degrees again, here is the 1800 FT marker, looking north toward Head Tide.

8.  It seems there's a washout every 300 feet or so through this section.  Here's the view at the 2100 FT marker.  In the distance is a small washout.

9.  The washout just north of the 2100 FT marker.

10.  The most substantial washout north of the slide looks to be just north of the 2400 FT marker.

11.  The washout just north of the 2400 FT marker.

12.  At the 2700 FT marker, another small washout.

13.  3000 FT is the last marker that has been set out.  Here is the first spot where we break out into a sunny area, with the expected thicket of goldenrod, raspberry, etc.

14.  The Trout Brook bridge site, looking north toward Head Tide.  My best guess walking from the 3000 FT marker is that it's at least 600 feet from the marker, but I'm sure someone has measured it and knows better.

15.  The view looking south from the opposite side of the brook.  It's been dry in Maine, so we could easily cross while keeping our boots dry.  Note the evidence of drilling to check the soil conditions in preparation for the "new" bridge.

16.  North of the bridge site, the right-of-way has recently been cleared up to Route 218 so the drilling equipment could be brought in.  In this view, we looking south toward the bridge site at a location where the Midcoast Conservancy trails connect with the right-of-way.  If we turn 180 degrees, Route 218 is to the north, roughly the same distance away as the bridge site.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:47:25 PM by Bill Reidy »
What–me worry?

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »
The footage started where we stopped putting track down BEFORE we bought the TOM property.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
Bill, thanks for the photos.
Mike Nix

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks Bill!!!

Your review of the current condition of the mainline grade has really given this fellow from "away" a better appreciation for what you guys are accomplishing and the work to come!

Do you think the number of washouts is indicative of any specific condition of the soil in the area or is it just the natural consequence of the many years with no maintenance?

Best Regards,
Glenn

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
Looks interesting.
Going down the mountain I would think we would want to pay extra attention to ditching.  Larger volume ditches and perhaps an extra culvert or two to east the possibility of over stress ditches and culverts.  Since apparently we are not going to be cutting trees as far back as usual I would think that we should plan for sudden aqua events that could be caused by trees blowing over and becoming dams in places where there are currently no washouts.  I recall the big rainstorm we got about 15 years ago when we lost a culvert and the water was almost up to the shop building and station.  That storm took out some culverts on the road too and they were all either jammed with brush or to small to begin with.
Also, did yo guys already fill the washout north of Trout Brook just north of the curve?
Just curious.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
Mike would know the soil conditions, based on all the preparation work he has done plus the work he's done setting culverts so far.  I know he's been very thorough in planning the work, arranging permits in manageable segments that can be completed within the permit's time frame, ensuring regulations are followed while also ensuring the finished result meets our needs.

Someone must have filled in any washouts that were north of the Trout Brook bridge at some point, because the drilling company was able to drive into the site.

Fred:  Yes, I remember the distance markers were set up at one time from the end of track before we purchased the ToM property, but after the ToM track was built, they were all moved northward, with point "0" somewhere just north of the north mainline switch.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
First, the distance from the 3000 foot sign to Trout Brook is almost 800 feet, according to my notes.

All washouts were developed over time. The one at 2700 feet happened when what ever was going on at 2400 feet plugged up.

Soil is mostly fill in this area. Though I did get into more gravel type soil Saturday. Made digging decent.

I have measured and planned culverts for about every 300 feet, or less depending on terrain. Some are just relief culverts like the one Bill took a picture of me installing Saturday. There was no washout there, but it is 200 feet from the prior location.

2400 feet gets the other 4 foot culvert, 2700 is going to have a 2 foot culvert, the rest are 1 18 inch and 2-12 inch locations. There is a ditch to be repaired, from the 3000 foot sign to about 100 feet from the bridge. This can not be completed until the bridge is in so we can get material in there. It needs to be repaired before track goes in.

The small washout north of the bridge will be repaired as part of the bridge project. There are 3 other locations north of that where cross pipes will be installed.

We have it all marked on the map in the house, locations are marked, and below is a spreadsheet of work planned at the locations so anyone interested can see.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 24, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
Location 2. Inlet. North is to the right. Only thing left here is to fill the washout.

Outlet

Location 3. 12 inch culvert. I need riprap for the outlet still, and finish the retaining wall I started.

Jeff working on the access road

Mike

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 24, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the great photos.  Once route 218 is reached, is the plan to install a runaround track and end railroad expansion?  Or.....is this still to be determined?  I imagine crossing the road would put you in a whole 'nother world with the FRA.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:09:51 PM by Roger Cole »

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 24, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »
Once we cross 218 there is no good place to put a run around track, it might be done with a lot of fill at end of track.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
Mike and Bill, great photos of some really great culvert work and right-of-way rebuilding work. Thanks for the pics for us, the "away" folks, and the great write-ups on what's being done, by whom and when. Can't wait for the FWW so I can see some of this work first-hand.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 24, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
I have found a relatively easy place for a run around at 218. I say easy because not much will need to be done with it, other than level some fill. And I do think it will be permanent, with a pull/push arrangement beyond if and when the road is crossed.

As for 218 being the end, we will see. It has been discussed over and over, so without getting into that again, 218 will be a temporary end to Northward expansion. It will be expensive to cross and continue north, but will be a scenic view of the Sheepscot River Valley. Discussions will continue, without a doubt.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 24, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
Walking to 218 yesterday reminds me a little bit of "the old days" when it was quite a hike to get to Humason Trestle.  This walk was easy compared to then, when you had to thread your way around trees growing on the trackbed.  In fact the area around Cock-eye Curve was so overgrown we didn't realize there was a curve there until we started cutting it off.  A hike to the trestle was a good way to burn off part of an afternoon.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks Mike for your additional insights, comments, and photographs.

And THANK YOU all for your dedicated HARD WORK on behalf of the WW&F.

Sincerely,
Glenn