Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 532802 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
I have dreamed a plan.

Using all tip cars, run to end of track and dump in place.
Bulldoze the piles into the washout.
Return train to loading point. Use the Kabota Dragon to fill.
Load tip cars and repeat until filled.

This assumes the fill material is closer than Alna.

OK, it's only a dream.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
Oct 1st? - Aargh....  That kind of knocks out getting a bunch done on FWW where we would have more people with heavy equipment experience to help out.  I sometimes worry that we have too much to do with too few hands available.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Well John, all Permittable work has to be done by Oct. 1. No permit needed to add fill above the culvert, as long as nothing falls into or disturbs the permitted area.

We will see what happens though. We may be ambitious enough this summer and have it ready for track FWW.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
Yes, GO for track work on FWW.  That should be the summer objective (IMHO).

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
The work window of July to Oct 1 is set by regulation, not us.

While I've been involved on the periphery of the planning process to reconstruct the railroad down the mountain; Mike has been at the center of it for several years.  The amount of foresight and planning required of him to integrate multiple permitting agencies, railroad operational needs, equipment needs, material supply needs, etc, has been staggering.  To say he's been doing an admiral job would be a ridiculous understatement. 

See ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2017, 08:51:59 PM »
Not knowing the manpower needs for the preparation aspects of this undertaking, I wonder if it would work to schedule a couple of "informal" summer work weekends focusing exclusively on this project. I can't imagine that 40 or 50 people would be needed, but it would be nice to count on 15 or 20 folks(?).

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
Wayne,
That  is a great idea. Clever of you to have thought of it.
Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2017, 05:38:49 AM »
Organizing a work weekend like that would be great, but puts added pressure onto getting it done. I would hate to have even a dozen people show up on a scheduled day and not be ready.

I would like to thank Jason for his kind words. I have been thinking about this for years, and now Jason is stepping up his involvement, and helping organize my notes with his, thus enabling a better picture for future plans.

We haven't got this years project started yet and I am already thinking of what to permit for next year..
Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2017, 06:29:15 AM »
I certainly did not intend to add any pressure on Mike or anyone else by my suggestion above. As I said, I don't know the manpower requirements for this particular project. It may be that one or two people is all that's necessary since machines will do a great deal of the work. But if a larger cohort is needed for some part of it, an e-mail or Facebook blast might be the best way to bring in the necessary volunteers.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2017, 06:53:07 AM »
I believe there may be a time for that- but probably not this time.  Mike has broken the entire stretch of mainline down the mountain into a series of segments or sections.  This year is the first section, and the work required during the mandated work window is all machine work.  Some work stages of some sections will require a major hand work effort, but at the moment it looks like those efforts don't need to be held to the mandated work window.  As such, Mike has been aiming those for the existing work weekends.

See ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
Wayne, it is possible to do, and we will know better by mid August. The big pipe job will consume quite a number of days. There will be a couple of days where an extra hand or several will be needed. Setting the pipe and prepping it for backfill.
Mike

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:13 PM »
Mike, I think if you put out a call a couple of days before you need them, you can muster some additional help.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Mike...Myself, maybe others, would be interested in knowing the timeline and specific areas, steps, of further work needed on the extending mainline.  It should help potential track, washout, trestle and slide workers to be available when the time for each project arrives.
I worked for construction companies, estimated for subs. The details, scheduling, coordination are guaranteed difficult.
If we knew more details here, I'm certain your job as overall work superintendent would have fewer wrinkles.
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
Details for anything other than the planned work for this year have yet to be worked out. We have 3 big projects up there where funds will determine how much and how fast we get it done. One I can speak of is the slide. But even the planned details of that are not in stone. I was offered the use of a piece of equipment today that will help that project and several others along, but am unsure if it would be practical to use. I have got to do some thinking on it, and discuss with the board what to do.

The other two projects we are still working on details on, and won't discuss them here yet. I met today with a contractor for both projects, and that is when I was offered the equipment.

And I try to plan work for when we will have bodies around, like work weekends, because I like seeing everyone busy, and everyone that comes likes to help.
Mike

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »
Gotcha. Good luck.
Paul Uhland