Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 538592 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Oh I see. Are there plans in the future to build a replica of the station at Mile Post 9 when the reconstruction of the ROW to Head Tide is completed (In the future).
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
Do my eyes deceive me?  ROW is now ours all the way to Head Tide !!!!!!  Yippee  ;D  Sounds like we need to get crack'in on the bridge design.

Now a couple of important questions; (1) what's the plan to move forward (north), and (2) what's going to be the new northern terminus?  Are we going across 218 and all the way to Head Tide proper or put up a station and runaround just before 218?  Dreaming big I'd love to see going all the way to the old Whitefield station (Big bridge project - I know) but who would have thought we would have gotten this far back in 1995?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:11:46 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
The main limiting factor is the funds required.
Among the other factors limiting expansion is the adversion to crossing Highway 218. This brings us under FRA reporting but the crossing itself is regulated by the State of Maine, not FRA.

My humble opinions, of course.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
The plan is AT LEAST Rt 218.  Head Tide area is in the cards and may happen, but our first focus is a) laying track to Top of the Mountain (this fall), b) the bridge, c) repair of the massive washout on the hillside, and d) restoration of the remainder of the row (at least 3 other washouts that I recall).  Oh and we have to clear the trees and have it graded as well.

During this year we're going to attempt to come up with a realistic cost estimation of the whole project, including to Head Tide.  Depending on the price tag, it may get cut back to 218 or not.  We'll also be coming up with a plan to raise the money.  Feasability of raising the money for the price tag we come up with will determine our course from there.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Head Tide is in the discussion.  I remember that there were a couple of land parcels that were for sale on both the east and west side of the ROW just north of the cut.  I don't remember whether they sold or not but would be an great place for a station and parking lot for the north end.  I believe one lot was about 2.5 AC and the other almost 3 AC.  If not, could we ever get to the original station site?
Moxie Bootlegger

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
Hi John,

If you look at some of the preceeding pages you'll see info on getting to the original Head Tide station site which at this point is very unlikely.

Anyway, here's a link to the expansion story written by Susan Johns of the Wiscasset Newspaper.  She visited the railroad over the weekend for interviews with Steve and Jason ...

http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/picking-steam-alna-railway-museum-s-expansion-hits-milestone/32410#.U16gVN38hXo.facebook
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:47:32 PM by Stewart Rhine »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Is the parcel really 23 AC or was it a typo and meant to be 2.3 AC.  Even at a 60' ROW, 2.3 AC is a long distance.  If the deal really had to cover 23 AC, is the museum going to retain it, or is the plan to subdivide and keep only the ROW?
Moxie Bootlegger

Hunt Dowse

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
That's a good article on the successful purchase of the last piece of the ROW on the way to 218.  Congratulations to everyone involved in making this happen.  And according to the announcement at the SWW, it is indeed 23 acres.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
My understanding (BOD may chime in if they so wish) is that the 23 acres (yes, that is correct) encompasses the ROW and all of Clark parcel to the west of the ROW, and a buffer to the east of the ROW.

This includes the hunting camp on the back portion. The parcel meets (at a corner) land owned by the Sheepscot Valley Conservation Association.

I do not believe the museum has any immediate plans for the property. Although, is nice to have a large parcel that is only accessible by rail, for future museum activities, events, and more.

I will note will great joy that I have created this "official work thread" for our northern expansion. (And I merged in some older, related, topics.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:19:32 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
That's a good article on the successful purchase of the last piece of the ROW on the way to 218. 
Quite possibly the most correct newspaper article I've ever read!
-John

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
I just thanked the author for her article

How about a Maine version of "Ah Wilderness", the camp along the Durango & Silverton Railroad accessable ONLY by rail. Think of the potential.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
Ed is correct - it is Twenty Three acres.  We offered to buy 23 acres, and drew a line based on the math for the boundary line.  The actual survey hasn't happened yet (we're waiting for the snow to go away), so we don't know exactly where the line is, but we know it's a comfortable distance away from the ROW center line.  The actual ROW on the property is something like 600 feet long.

As for plans for the property - beyond building track and a siding on it, no immediate plans right now.  We're not going to be in a hurry to get rid of it.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for putting everything on TOM together.  Glad you didn't call the thread Northern Exposure

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Well, tell me when the tracks are going in... I may be poor, but this is one project I don't want to miss.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
The Fall Work Weekend is when the work is planned.  The weekend is a Friday - Monday event over the Columbus Day weekend.