Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 412820 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #540 on: March 17, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
Mike, have we now finished all tree clearing on the Mountain Extension.  That's cause for celebration!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 17, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
Looking at the quality of the chairs  by the burn pile it appears the quality of Fred's supervision position has been upgraded from the old chairs with 2x10's as seats at the TOM.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 17, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »
Three more images from this morning's tree cutting on the Mountain Extension near Route 218.

Jay Barta strips branches from a fallen tree, while other volunteers get the fire going for the burn pile.  View is looking north toward Route 218 in the distance.

As usual, Mike Fox makes good use of the bulldozer, today dragging fallen trees closer to the burn pile so the crew could strip branches and throw them into the fire.

It turned very cold as the day progressed, as the wind really kicked up late morning.  Temperature was in the low 20s.

What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 17, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
It would have been a rough day without the dozer. From plowing the crusty knee deep snow to dragging trees, it did make the morning easier.. I think next weekend it will return South for a month and a half..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 17, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Is it spring yet?  Oh yeah -- that starts Tuesday.  Hopefully Wednesday's nor'easter is a miss.
What–me worry?

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 17, 2018, 11:50:43 PM »
I'd say youz guys have gotten the roughest part of TOM ROW clearing in real winter weather under control, with wood removal to come.
Wwwwelllll  dddddddone!
Thnx for the pix.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:53:29 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:31 AM »
Mike makes mention of softwood going to an outdoor boiler.  Have we given any thought about a similar setup to heat the shop or at least a part of the shop instead of oil?
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 18, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
We would need a steady supply of wood to heat the shop. 9 to 12 cords a year of hardwood, probably a lot more of the softwood. And then someone to put the wood in daily..
Mike

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
Congrats to Mike and the crew for completing the ROW cleanup.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »
Looking at the quality of the chairs  by the burn pile it appears the quality of Fred's supervision position has been upgraded from the old chairs with 2x10's as seats at the TOM.

Was there money put into the budget just for that purpose? Or, were those chairs leftover from last August's yard sale? :o

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
I brought them over when we first started clearing the area, Mike kept moving the dozer so I couldn't sit on the blade!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 18, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Congratulations you all for cleaning up the ROW in such weather conditions. I can't wait the time when the bridge straddles the brook. I guess it's going to be an other kettle of fish to bring it up there and settle  but you'll make it. Hey  you should adapt the  French motto "Impossible n'est pas français" to the WW&F.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
Fred is always on the look out for great deals. He found those chairs and saved them from their impending demise. Needs seat heaters though. Fred does not sit long enough to warm the chair.
Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #554 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »
[Moderator's Notes]
I did a bit of cleanup. I combined the tree clearing and general mountain extension threads into one mega-thread. I'm hoping that this will help preserve the history of the entire endeavor (first publicly discussed back in 2009!) and also cut down on the re-hashing of the same questions, etc.

I also split off a discussion about expansion plans, if any, beyond our current scope (a railroad stretching from Cross Road to the south to Route 218 to the north, without crossing either thoroughfare.) Because any expansion beyond these parameters are purely speculative, this discussion is taking place in the "Museum Members Only" section.

If you are a museum member and do not have access to the "Museum Members Only" discussions, please email me (forumadmin@wwfry.org) or send me a private message. If you are not a member, please join us! Membership is only $30/yr and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are personally part of our effort to rebuild Maine history.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum