Author Topic: Raise Money for the WW&F While Shopping Online at Amazon (and other sites.)  (Read 21499 times)

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Their stated reasoning was really backwards: "We aren't having very much impact, so instead we'd rather have no impact at all."  :o

Of course we can all surmise the real reason is that it was cutting too much into the bottom line. This cnbc article snip corroborates that:
"The move to shutter AmazonSmile comes as CEO Andy Jassy has embarked on a sweeping review of the company’s expenses amid a worsening economic outlook and slowing growth in its retail division."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/18/amazon-discontinues-amazonsmile-charity-donation-program-amid-cost-cuts.html

Now I have my own personal qualms with Amazon, so I buy from them only as a last resort. Still, it's a shame for the museum to lose what's essentially free money.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:26:01 AM by Benjamin Richards »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Now I have my own personal qualms with Amazon, so I buy from them only as a last resort.

I'm not a huge Amazon fan either, but I felt less "bad" about shopping from them knowing that a small part of my purchase went to support the WW&F. Reading the backlash from other non-profits, I was not alone in that reasoning.

Meanwhile, I made a large Amazon "impulse" purchase this morning... it may be my last hurrah.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
 ;) One way to get Amazon's attention would be to simply cancel your Prime 'membership'.  :o ;D

You can still get "free shipping" at Amazon without Prime*, you just have to learn to be a bit more patient.  :-X
*(to get Free Shipping, just order $25 or more at a time.)
Graham