Author Topic: Bridgton is already thinking narrow gauge  (Read 6488 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Bridgton is already thinking narrow gauge
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
I saw this sign in Bridgton last Saturday:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:38:35 PM by John McNamara »

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgton is already thinking narrow gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »
Is this setup north of Bridgton center or south?
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
South. The sign is located on Route 117 about halfway between the intersection of 117 with 107 and the intersection of 117 with South High Street, i.e. near Sandy Creek. The road shown along the bottom of the sign is identified as Route 117, and the road into the "estates" is shown as Piper Way. Maps.Google.com does not seem to know anything about Piper Way, and the flared intersection at the bottom of the drawing looks suspiciously like a nearby intersection, so I suspect that Piper Way is a proposed street roughly where the sign is.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
For those of you from away:
In various explorations of the "Maine Five" narrow gauge lines, I have noticed a number of businesses and locationsd that pay homage to their local 2 footer.
Most honor the SR&RL - Narrow Gauge Cinema (at Narrow Gauge Square in Farmington),
Narrow Gauge Realty (Kingfield), Narrow Gauge Construction (Carrabassett) and the now-gone Narrow Gauge Brewing Co. in Farmington. (it was located in the Granary where good beers and ales can still be enjoyed, overlooking the former interchange yard.)
The Monson had a Narrow Gauge Machine Shop (IIRC) on the Willimantic road near the MRR right of way.
The 2 footer explorer is also helped by various roads named and signed "Narrow Gauge Lane" etc, several that I remember best are along the B&SR.  Part of the KC is a well marked trail at the Randolph end.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
The signs that welcome you to Randolph, Maine (terminus of the KCRR) have an image of the SR&RL RR 24 displayed! I never could figure out why they didn't have a KC locomotive on the signs.
Keith

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
The signs that welcome you to Randolph, Maine (terminus of the KCRR) have an image of the SR&RL RR 24 displayed!

I believe that is going to change.  Dave Hart, former WW&F director, is now VP of the KC trail group.  He told me one time that those signs will be replaced with a KC engine.  I don't know when, but the signs are getting kind of worn out.