Author Topic: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread  (Read 161326 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
I am more than pleased to know that we will have an actual runaround track atTop of the Mountain, at least for the present. Jason's explanation of the operational advantages to a runaround needs no further discussion. However, I have to wonder if i'm the only person questioning the need for a third switch and the stub siding. I know for a fact that we have a shortage of serviceable frogs and switch points, as well as limited inventory of switch timber. I cannot for the life of me understand the value of that short stub from an operational perspective. It won't help much with the operation of a second section (Model T), since the same routine as currently employed at Alna Center can be used, and presuming the main line extends a few rail lengths beyond the north switch, there would be head room for the tamper to get in the clear if necessary.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
Ok- taking a break from welding switch slide plates out front as parents wait to pick up kids.  

First off we are planning on a conventional runaround at this point.
I rediscovered the no 10 frog that we rejected for the north yard, and designed a stub switch around it.  Along with the no 8 frog that Wayne rediscovered last week the 3 switch plan was still in the running, until...

To answer Wayne's question- the operational advantage of the 3 switch plan would have been additional length between fouling points, allowing a longer train to be runaround.  This is due to the fact that the north switch for the 3 switch plan could have been further north than the north switch for the conventional runaround.  It had been supposed that this gain would have been as much as a car length.

After seeing how the stub is laid out- as it works out the north switch for the 3 switch plan would have to be further south than otherwise to avoid a sharp reverse curve into the stub.  As laid out and graded the stub is at a no 8 frog angle off the main.  Because of this the actual gain between fouling points is about 10 feet.  We discovered that yesterday; along with te desire to avoid building a 3rd switch, that's when the conventional runaround got settled upon.

We also discovered that the conventional runaround will clear a 4 car passenger train, which is rare.

There was some disappointment that we wouldn't have that unique stub off into the woods, but that will come with time.

So- there you have it!  

See ya
Jason
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:51:09 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
 :)Yea!  Finally an answer. We'll see it I get up there next Spring.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
Could not get any interest in looking this over before I graded it so it is what it is. Oh well. Graded to what was there. On the bright side, next year we can grade to the first washout, which would give us approximately 600 feet to lay track on in the fall..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
Mike, all,

I didn't mean to imply any offense in my message.  In fact the way it has been graded is the best possible recreation of how it probably was.  I don't believe any amount of planning could have or should have changed the result.  It is what it is, and it'll be fine both for now and when later reworked to the original configuration.

See ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »
Correct Jason. I was not trying to sound (is that correct when you are reading it) like I was taking offense, but was trying to be funny. Sarcasm is hard to set into type when you can't emphasize what you want where you want.

And the only thing that was changed from the original was the addition of a ditch on the East side, and using the material to lengthen the siding. The Main is going to be in the original location, as well as the siding. Both centers were marked before grading.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »
Ok , today was day 2 of our ToM switch construction week.  Yesterday Rick Sisson and I first cut and bent the closures and stock rails for both switches, after which we punched spike holes in the slide plates I made last week.  Lastly we verified the car barn corner markers in preparation for digging to set posts.

Today we had a great weekday crew consisting of Fred Morse, Jonathan St Mary, Dwight Winkley, Eric Schade and myself- all taking our work train to the north end for laying out switch parts.  Stewart Rhine was manning the fort back at Sheepscot, doing some 'yard' work and hosting some interesting visitors.

Today we managed to re-line the end of track to allow the switch to be properly placed.  After this we set out switch ties, and retreated for lunch.  After this we used Ichabod to retrieve yesterday's crop of prepared rail and set them out.  By the end of the day the two stock rails, two points and two closures were in their rightful place.  A solid days work.

Tomorrow will see te frog and main rails go out, along with hole drilling and some spiking. 

We plan to build the north switch as a panel on 118 next week.  We have a plan to move it from flat to ground once the track reaches the right place.

We'll keep updating on this fun week!

See ya
Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
We have a plan to move it from flat to ground once the track reaches the right place.

That would be a very large crew of people, right?   ;D

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
A chain and a sturdy tree will do the trick.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2014, 06:16:10 AM »
Plan is:  "Ok Dana, here's your switch!" 

We do have a few firmer ideas than that...

I forgot to mention that we were joined by new-ish volunteer Phil in the afternoon.  Phil has been helping in no 9 a day a week for a about 2 months- and joined the fun at ToM.  I'll get his last name today...

See ya
Jason

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
Here are two photos taken by one of the switch crew members on 9/23/2014.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:19:28 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
Work train going north this morning.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
Today's crew- Fred, Eric, Jonathan, Brendan, Phil and myself (Stewart at Sheepscot again) made more switch progress.  Jonathan and Eric made the closure steps while Fred and Phil got the train ready. I got there after my eye appointment, conned Brendan into coming, and off we went.  Set the frog and two main rails, drilled holes to bolt and heel space points, bolted up all joints, safety spiked the switch.    A lot of this involved staging moves between Alna Center and ToM, and several Ichabod set ups-- all using up time.  Forgot the switch layout back in the shop so we left the curve spiking for tomorrow, along with guard rails. 

It was a beautiful fall day- perfect for this work.  Tomorrow will be less perfect and have a smaller crew- so we'll see what gets done.  We are well underway though.

See ya
Jason

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
Pictures from today.

Jason's photography

Fred is accepting cushion donations. ;D

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
I see the chairs have been set out for the supervisors.  Which one will Dana use?