Author Topic: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread  (Read 174617 times)

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
I can see the logic behind the proposed crossover, given the slope of the land. A trailing point switch from the north end of top of the mountain spur would involve an extremely steep grade to reach the rapidly descending main track and allow for no safety factor if a train were to get too far north in the siding. Even taking a lite engine down such a ramp would be very risky.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »
Did anyone consider installing a small temporary turntable (enough for the wheelbase of #11) on the tail of the T of M siding?  This would replace one of the three switches but leave the rest as Mike recommended.  I would recommend something similar to what the Huntsville & Lake of Bays has on their line, about the size of the Kennebec central's or like what was at Edaville.  The pivots are from old scrapped excavators.  There would be no need for a pit or anything fancy.  I am recommending this because of the installation of the turntable at Sheepscot.  This would also facilitate turning the "T Model Ford" (as my great uncle called them).  Under the right conditions it may be easier to install than a switch.

Bernie
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:15:14 PM by Bernie Perch »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
I've had an interest in a light weight, movable turntable for some time.  Just as Bernie describes- minimal prep, easy to relocate as the rail head advances.  I think the idea has merit.

See ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
Mike, I think you meant "quick edit" instead of "quit edit" - just so folks don't think its being dropped.  ;)

Guess I was too quick with my quick edit. You caught me :)
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
Well, I think I have done enough for this year. I do not want to get too far ahead, but I may work up there one more day, get a little further North. Depends on a few things though. But how about some pictures.

Standing on the ramp at the End of track

Looking across the grade toward the siding.

Just south of the camp road ( or where it used to be) looking North. Notice the rapid height change between the grades. Siding is to the right and is almost level, and the earth berm at the end is original, just enhanced with a little extra topsoil.

Turning and facing south. Grade stakes on the right are the center line for the Main. Stakes on the left are the center for the siding.

Lastly, looking south from the end of the siding.

Mike

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
Didn't the Phillips & Rangeley RR have a small "gallows" turntable at Perham Jct. where the Barnjum Branch diverged from the main line?  Something such as that might work at Top of the Mountain.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
After Bernie's suggestion, I looked over the siding by the berm, and I believe one could be put in there without too much work, other than cutting a few trees and sliding the track far enough East so the turntable isn't hanging over the embankment while being turned.
Mike

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2014, 11:10:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

The cranberry bog utility lines in Mass, used small, moveable turntables for turning the 4-wheeled dump cars, flatcars, and 4-wheeled Brookville locos like our #51.

They consisted of little more than a steel disk that rested flat on a level spot of ground.  A short length of bog track, with a pivot plate welded to the rail base at its center, was dropped over a pivot bolt pointing upright at the center of the disk and sat on rollers to allow it to spin around the pivot.  A super-fancy version might have a heavy-duty coil spring set around the pivot bolt, between the bottom of the bog track pivot plate and the steel disk and a simple locking lever, but these enhancements are optional for practical use.

It was elegantly simple in design and in use and the while unit could be lifted by a small number of willing bodies.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2014, 12:00:30 AM »
Didn't the Phillips & Rangeley RR have a small "gallows" turntable at Perham Jct. where the Barnjum Branch diverged from the main line?  Something such as that might work at Top of the Mountain.

Yes, there was a turntable at Perham Junction but I think it was full size, big enough for the SR&RL 2-6-2s (barely -- there's a famous photo of engine 16 with its tender hanging off the end!).

Something like the small turntables used on the KC and the Monson might be more appropriate, just the right size for a small Forney. I believe the Monson turntables were based on Mansfield's Billerica & Bedford turntable, for which drawings are available. (It's often said that the Monson turntables were only used for the snowplow but I think the engines also were turned in the early years of the line. Why else would the Monson Junction water tank have been on the turntable lead?)

-Philip Marshall

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »
I forgot to mention this. About 470 feet of Main Line and the siding is ready for track. It should give us around 750 to 800 feet of track to lay this fall, if we cover everything that has been prepped. Then in the spring, cut in the crossover switches to complete the runaround.
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
I'd say go with the switches at TOM and do the "temp" turntable at the future roundhouse site.  Might help attract donations for construction if folks can visualize it.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
According to the fund drive letter, they want to start work on the permanent turntable, which will be the foundation.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
The dirt work is complete for this year. Some secondary measurements were taken today, and due to the grading that was done, the south switch will be at the current end of track. This will make the run around long enough to safely rejoin the main with a North pointed switch. The switch should be between the 300 foot mark and the old camp road. North of that becomes steep. This northern switch will still most likely be temporary, and removed when we have the next run around to the north completed, putting the siding back to an as built siding. Building it this way saves building one switch, and should enable us to put it in service during the spring work weekend. I can do a quick drawing for the new plan if there is some interest.

Mike
Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
Go for it, Mike.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
 :) Smart way to do it.  Throw in a simple shelter and we'll have our Northern terminus for a few years.