Author Topic: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread  (Read 173856 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
Has an "official" decision been made regarding a "temporary" run-around at TOM or will it be just a stub siding?
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
We are planning a temporary run-around at Top of Mountain, switches for which will subsequently be moved to bottom of the mountain when we're ready to move to there.  We'll leave Alna Center run-around where it is. 

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »
With the run-around a "go", can I assume that we'll be using Mike's proposed layout for it?  IMHO it's the best one proposed.  Also, will the start of this be on the schedule of events for the fall work weekend?
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Yes John. It is the safest and the way to get the most out of the siding. I can't take all the credit for the idea, but I did push it pretty hard...
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
I know authenticity is important and everything, but why not just leave the siding where it is? Seems like TOM would make a decent staging area for work parties...

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
The spur track will stay at TOM. Only two of the three track switches will be removed. This will happen when the main line gets to the bottom of the 3%-2% grade.
dwight

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
Dylan, just a refresher, this is the rough idea I pushed for. The measurements were estimated, and the siding is actually going to be a bit longer, so we can run around a 4 car (2 coaches, Open car and Caboose) easily. As Dwight said, once we are ready to move north, the blue line and the switches associated with it go away, and it will be returned to a close to original configuration, albeit slightly longer.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mark Hendrickson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »
So how far past TOM can we go with out major wash out repair work?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Not very far. It's maybe 1000 feet to the first washout from the temporary crossover.

But because of the grade, there is no sense in trying to operate any regular trains anywhere north of the Top of the Mountain until we get to the bottom of the hill (route 218.)

For a map (and related discussion) see:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=793.0
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:11:42 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »
I think the figure was 800 feet from current end of track to the missing culvert (washout).  Then another 800-ish feet to the landslide.

Ed is correct - we'd rather not try stopping a train (using hand brakes, if we have the crew) on a severe downgrade in regular operations.  Not to mention getting the train going again uphill!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
If what Ed and James say above is the case, why are we going to the expense and hassle of a third switch at Top of the Mountain? Why not build the south switch and the switch off the siding at the north end and not worry about the other one at this time? We would save a set of switch timber, a frog and a pair of points, in addition to the time required to lay out, cut and fit all the rails for the third switch. Just asking.....

If we follow our usual track construction model, the track at Top of the Mountain will be built this fall, and next spring we'll place the ballast and surface and line everything. Therefore, it seems to me that we are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak, since it will be at least a year and probably longer before we are able to begin undertaking the major construction projects required to continue north from Top of the Mountain. Perhaps I'm not seeing the big picture, but it seems to me there are several issues to be addressed before we start laying track down the mountain.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:08:35 PM by Wayne Laepple »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
Hmmmm...  Wayne, you do have a good point.   :-\
Moxie Bootlegger

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
Actually, I wondered the very same thing Wayne stated.
Why go to the extra effort with no real gain. Just make it a run around as at Sheepscot and Alna Center.
The wheel has all ready been invented.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Well...we don't need a third switch right away on the mainline at the top of the grade, but we will need one eventually so that we can put track down the Mountain.  And it won't be wasted work - we'll need it at the bottom of the Mountain by 218 for a run-around down there. 

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
I know the decision has already been made, and I know what it is. I know we have a pair of new points and a new frog for the south switch, but do we have four more serviceable points and two more serviceable frogs for the north end? Do we have enough switch timber on hand? What about slide plates and riser plates?

And let's face the facts. If we build a quarter mile of track each year, which has been our usual target, it's going to take at least four years to reach Route 218, AFTER the necessary repairs have been accomplished AND the bridge is constructed over Trout Brook.