Author Topic: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread  (Read 173843 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Top Of The Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
I have combined the old and new threads for a continuous discussion on the Top of the Mountain siding.

Notes:
1. Mike's map of his proposal is no longer available (perhaps he can repost.)
2. About 2/3 way through the thread, the BOD announced that the vote (at that time) was to restore the TOM to its original configuration as a single ended stub siding.
3. Since then, we have since purchased the property surrounding and to the west of TOM. This will allow us to discontinue the "woods road" which happened to be right where a north switch (crossover or otherwise) would need to be placed.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:44:44 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
Department of Corrections:

Stephen is correct about the track design at Head Tide station. There were two sidings, both on the west side of the main line, one north and one south of the station, both with trailing points south. I stand corrected!

Cheers -- Wayne

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2014, 08:52:54 PM »
I will do up a new drawing to include measurements that I took. Maybe tomorrow.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2014, 07:35:25 AM »
Better late than never

Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
Looks right to me.  Thanks for re-posting Mike - the addition of the temporary crossover wraps it up very nicely.  Now the big question, when do we get started?   ;)
Moxie Bootlegger

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
Top of the Mountain pictures

Taken from # 52 parked at the end of track. The siding was on the right side of the picture.

Looking southbound up the mainline towards present end of track. Top of the Mountain siding ended on the enbankment on left.

Looking south from the approximate end of the siding.

Standing on the mainline looking south up the mountain. Yellow arrow is the end of the siding.

Approximate location of switch into siding. One switch point and possible closure rail were found in this location. Mainline is the flat area going downhill in the center. Siding ran on embankment to right.

End of siding embankment looking up from mainline.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
Thanks for the drawing, Mike, and for the photos, Brendan.

Two things occur to me in viewing these items. First, the north switch on the siding could be moved north as much as 15 or 16 feet. Neither of our locomotives is more than 20 feet long, so there would still be 10 feet-plus of tail track. Secondly, given that the main line curves a bit to the west as it nears the summit, the train could be left on the switch, offering a little more clearance at the south end of the siding.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have some sort of platform at Top of the Mountain to allow passengers to detrain and observe the runaround movement, and perhaps some riders would enjoy a stroll down the grade toward the stream crossing or a walk into the woods. A simple platform comprised of a couple of ties and some 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 planks would do the trick. I've heard that at portion of our new property abuts that of the Sheepscot Valley Conservation Association, and perhaps we could link up with their trail.

One more quick thought. The temporary north switch off the main track should be firmly spiked and locked to the diverging position except when needed to access the main track north of the siding.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:19:45 PM by Wayne Laepple »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
Two things occur to me in viewing these items. First, the north switch on the siding could be moved north as much as 15 or 16 feet. Neither of our locomotives is more than 20 feet long, so there would still be 10 feet-plus of tail track.

Obviously, you haven't heard of our South African member who is sending us a Baeyer-Garratt. :)
-John

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Hmmm. I must have missed that announcement. Oh, well, by the time it arrives we will have extended the line to Week's Mills and will be able to turn it on the wye there.....

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
Due to the grade separation, moving the temporary siding switch North would mean filling in some between the tracks and changing the appearance of the TOM. The reason for the switch in the location I have selected is that when we remove it, it will look like it did before we started. Trying to keep it as original as possible was the big "sell" to the powers above to get the approval. Significant changes to the grade or surrounding terrain would not be in keeping with the whole idea.

Track laying will be in October for the Fall Work Weekend. And we anticipate the track to be put into service following the Spring work Weekend. Of course if it happens sooner, it would be great.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
Fortunately now there's no need to maintain the camp road, so we can eliminate the need for a double crossing there.

During our exploration a couple of weeks ago, we took the trail less traveled back from Porcupine Palace.  The trail came across what appeared to be the remnants of a long-ago road that went down to stream.  Some long-time Alna residents seem to think it's what left of another east-west road with a ford across the stream (the first being the one at Alna Center).  This would be an interesting road to have for a road crossing at TOM, and is probably the location of the first Alna station.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2014, 04:33:31 PM »
"Due to the grade separation, moving the temporary siding switch North would mean filling in some between the tracks and changing the appearance of the TOM. The reason for the switch in the location I have selected is that when we remove it, it will look like it did before we started."

Since we have heavy equipment now, couldn't photos be taken of the present topography, along with measurements, and things be restored to original appearance in the future?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
Thank you Mike for the map and Brendan for the photos. They're really helpful for those of us "from away" who haven't been up to Top of the Mountain in person yet.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
We can do anything with the equipment and the grade, but for no more than we would gain (175 ft is adequate for a 4 car train) would it be worth the effort? The grade separation gains so quickly after the road the either the siding would have to be moved further East and the main line raised to make the crossover work.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »
Thanks Mike and Brendan for the diagram and photos.

Now the big question, when do we get started?   ;)

Based on Brendan's first two photos, it looks like Fred is ready to start!
What–me worry?