Author Topic: 300 Ties Delivered  (Read 12131 times)

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
300 Ties Delivered
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
300 #1 Hardwood Relay ties from the Calais Branch were delivered to Sheepscot Station this afternoon. Richard Verney unloaded with his log loader, and Steve Zuppa, Fred Morse & Allan Fisher assisted.
In the next few weeks, ties will have to be cut to five foot lengths and exposed end painted before loading them on flat cars for the trip north to end of track
Allan Fisher

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: 300 Ties Delivered
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
Great news. I knew there was interest in them this past weekend, did not realize there would be the quick action there was. Thanks for the info Allan.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the news Allan.  The ties are a big step in being ready to lay another 600 feet of track.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:31:36 PM »
Will 600 ft reach TOM ? If not how much farther will it be. Has any decistion been made as to the side track at TOM?

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »
I believe there's only 300 ft. more that we can add to the EoT before we reach the end of our property lines.  After that we have plenty of new yard track to lay!
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
Lightning??? Did you get struck by it or something to acquire that nickname?
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
He's called "Lightning" because he never strikes in the same place twice!  ;D

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:24 AM »
If I remember correctly, the ties are spaced out at 2' on center, which means there is enough ties for 600' of track.

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
There is only graded ROW for 330 or just maybe 360 ft of new track . It's about 600ft more to TOM switch. This section of ROW hasn't been graded.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »
It sounds like we can only build 300' of new track this Fall unless we have more grading done or do the grading ourselves.  We could build the 300' of track to where the grade needs to be fixed and bring in gravel on the flatcars to fix/build more of it.  Grading by hand was done for the south end of the siding at AC and for the wash out at the bottom of the ladder - so we have done it before.   We could bring in a bobcat to help.  It could come in the woods road, with land owner permission or be loaded on flatcar 126 to be taken to EOT.  Of course loading and unloading the bobcat would take time for the ramps, etc.  Gravel could be shoveled into the bobcat's bucket from the flatcar for repairs farther from EOT.   

When we built the grade for the AC siding and rebuilt it for the wash out, we tamped the gravel with a hand plate and by a bunch of us walking on it as we worked.  Both areas have held up fairly well. 

Of course there's existing track to get in service and other things that go into the planning for the Fall track work.  I'm sure the Board and Dana will make the best decision as to what we do up there.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
If this rain keeps up, a Bobcat might prove useless in the sloppy clay unless it has tracks. (Rubber ones not railroad.)
Mike

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
IIRC, there was an offer this past April from someone close by with a bobcat-sized tractor (John Deer?) that could easily fit on a flatcar.
I can't recal the fella's name, but we surveyed the EOT to see if he'd have room to work around the flatcar to load/unload gravel/fill for working the grade.

Frank Knight

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
IIRC, there was an offer this past April from someone close by with a bobcat-sized tractor (John Deer?) that could easily fit on a flatcar.
I can't recal the fella's name, but we surveyed the EOT to see if he'd have room to work around the flatcar to load/unload gravel/fill for working the grade.

Pete,

That was me. I have a JD 4300 compact tractor with front end loader, and a grader blade. I offered to use it to regrade and spread gravel before we put down any ties. The problem is that I am 45 miles from Alna and do not have a way to transport my tractor. It would need a ride from somebody with a trailer that could handle 2 tons and something to pull it.

Frank

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »
Hi again Frank!
I thought you lived closer.  :-[
Well, there's GOTTA be someone with a trailer on this forum, but it's all about the when & where's.