Author Topic: Shop entension *pic*  (Read 2548 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Shop entension *pic*
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:43:09 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Shop entension *pic* has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
Picture from last Saturday 6-21 of the work underway to extend the shop building at Sheepscot. Saturday, Zack, Leon and Steve were working on the project, extending the rail from bays 1 and 2, digging out, and generally getting things ready for the cement pour.

Ira Schreiber replied:
So, where's the pix?? I'm not beefing, though.
Ira

elecuyer replied:
Is the rail from Bay 2 not being extended? It appears that Bay 2 is being walled off from the rest of the extension.
-Ed Lecuyer

Stephen Hussar replied:
Rest assured, later in the day rails were indeed extending from bay 2. The south end of bay 2 has always looked like that.

elecuyer replied:
The south end of bay 2 has always looked like that.

Wow! I guess I need to get my WW&F fix more often!

Good thing I'm going up this weekend!

Stewart Rhine replied:
Steve,  Thanks for the update.  As to the south end of bay 2, it was originally built with false track doors and a small door for the stairs.  The non-hinged track door has a frame like the other bays.  This was done so that a drifting piece of rolling stock would knock out the false track door and not the whole end of the building.

The window was added in 2005 and is the oldest part of the shop.  The window came from a log house built in the 1850's and the frame is made with hand cut nails.

DaleR replied:
Any update on the extension project? dale

elecuyer replied:
On 6/28 the rails for bays 2 & 3 were set and welded in place with more leveling done.

At the end of the day, James took the photo that is now posted on the "Restoration" section of our web site. I have linked it below.

I understand that this past weekend (7/5) the shop extension crew worked on the rails, and ran conduits for electricity.  The middle bay wall was removed, rails butted up against the existing rails, and the bay was walled in.  Unfortunately, it was discovered that the track in Bays 2 and 3 will need to be lifted to match the track in the extension.

When I visited on 6/28, Zack indicated that it will be a few more weeks before the concrete is poured.

-Ed Lecuyer

Fred L. Kuhns replied:
Thanks,  for the information on the shop extension.  Fred L. Kuhns

gordon cook replied:
The raising of the track in Bays 2 and 3 is necessary because the track in Bay 1 is higher by a couple of inches than the other 2 bays.
Apparently Harry wasn't planning that far ahead.
Since there will be a concrete floor in the extension (at least), in order to avoid a sloping concrete floor the tracks need to be all at the same elevation.
This shouldn't be a big job for the gandy dancers of the WW&F!

James Patten replied:
Actually the track & ground in Bay 1 had settled by the time Bays 2 and 3 were built.  The ground in 2 & 3 didn't have time to settle before the track was put down, so over the last 15 or so years it has settled some.

Wayne Laepple replied:
For those of us "from away," can someone provide the basic dimensions of the shop extension?

James Patten replied:
It extends southward roughly 30 feet - a little more than that actually, but I can't recall the exact figure.  It cannot extend more than that because of set backs from the centerline of the road.

John McNamara replied:
For those of us "from away," can someone provide the basic dimensions of the shop extension?
I asked Zack that question yesterday. He said 30 feet front  to back, 41 feet side to side.

Wayne Laepple replied:
Thanks for the information.

Cheers -- Wayne

James Patten replied:
Photo from this weekend, taken by yours truly with my own digital camera, a recent birthday present.

Hopefully photo progress on my part will become a more regular occurance, although I still have to move the pictures from my camera to the computer (and up to the website).
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum