Author Topic: 2008 Spring Work Weekend Photos  (Read 3583 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
2008 Spring Work Weekend Photos
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
2008 Spring Work Weekend Photos has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
All, a few shots from the weekend. Weather was spectacular! (although it did start to rain as things were winding down on Sunday afternoon) Many thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen, and to everyone who let me take their picture! I'll post more when I have more time to edit them, enjoy!

Glenn Christensen replied:
Hi Steve,

That pan shot of #10 at speed is outstanding!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Steve;
Great to see you this weekend! and thanks for the screen saver (Bob Longo and #10 looking like they're doing 60 mph)
Dave

Tom Hunter replied:
Nice shots Steve... sorry that I could not make it out this time, I'll be out in October for sure!

Joe Fox replied:
Wow, great shots Steve. I love the way the photo came out with the 10, going southbound at Cockeyed Curve. I miss the old girl already, and I can't wait to see her again sometime this summer. I must say I am sad that I won't be able to come down to the museum for about a month or so.

Joe

frankd replied:
I want to thank everyone at the WW&F for a great time this past weekend.  I flew out of Chicago to Baltimore, and rode up with friends from Baltimore to be out for the work weekend. As hard of work as tamping is, I had a great time doing it.  It is truly amazing the amount of work and planning that was put into the weekend.

Thanks again, and I hope to see you all again in October!

Frank DeVries
IRM Track Department. [/img]

Josh Botting replied:
Frank,

I think I can speak for all of us in thanking you and your crew for your efforts this weekend.  Running 8 tampers certainly accelerated us toward our goals.  It was a pleasure working with you guys.  Hope to see you again next year.

jkb

Mike Fox replied:
Yes, 8 tampers was a little more than we were used to. But it worked extremely well and think that is the way to go in the future. I just hope we can find enough people to go along with those again.
Mike

frankd replied:
It was a lot of fun!  I just today got the hands to feel normal, and the rest of the sore muscles are easing! But it was worth every minute of it!  The six other tamping guns were handled by WW&F crew, and they did just as good as Adam and I.  I seriously was wondering if we would be able to keep 8 guns going, for fear folks would not be able to keep going and we'd run out of volunteers..  You all proved me wrong!

If you all keep planning such fun, well planned events, I'll keep coming back to help you.  I'm hoping to make it to the fall work party too.  I like spiking as much as tamping!

Thanks again for the hospitality!

Frank D.
IRM Track Dept.

Tom Hunter replied:
Josh and I were talking on the phone last night... we don't think that we have ever used 8 guns ever in all the time we have done museum projects... and that goes back 30 years...  You guys set a record last weekend!

Dana - As always, your planning made the weekend, I know this - and I was not even there!

See you all in October I sure hope!

Tom

Joe Fox replied:
30 years? Has it been that long already? I thought it was only around 18-20?

Joe

James Patten replied:
How was it possible to run 8 tamping machines?  I'm assuming it was off the one rented air compressor?

Fantastic shot of #10 at speed.

Josh Botting replied:
James,

Yeah the Ingersol Rand compressor we rented, it did struggel a bit with all 8 running, but it was still a great increase in efficancy.

Dana Deering replied:
James,

Josh and the boys from Baltimore and Illinois brought along a nifty manifold that allowed us to run 8 tampers.  It was great.  Keeping the hoses untangled was a challenge!

Josh Botting replied:
Dana,

Do you think it would be worth while to build one for us, it certainly was convienient.

Mike Fox replied:
Normally the Y fittings we have work fine. If one was to be built, and they aren't complicated, I would suggest a shorter hose to the manifold. ONe only 10 feet long or so. Less hose to deal with.
This is something thayt could be made out of Black Iron Pipe. The most expensive part will be the air fittings. I would be glad to build it and donate it if the powers above would like one.
Mike

Stephen Hussar replied:
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments! Here are a few more.

Joe Fox replied:
Great photos Steve. They all look very beautiful. I especially love the first photo, of the coupler on the steam engine. I wish I would have had my engineers cap with me that day though. Oh well, there is always next time.

Joe

Steam replied:
This second batch of work weekend pictures is terrific!  The second one down captures one of the young people we brought up with us from the North Shore area.  The determined shoveller is Chris Urbanski, 12 years old, on his first Work Weekend.  We also brought along Brad Kippen and Tyler Penney, both 15, for their 4th and 2nd work sessions, respectively.
They all put in a good days work and had a great time doing it!  This is where the future of this and all organizations lies.

Guaranteed they'll be back in the fall!

Richard W. Symmes

James Patten replied:
When do Brad and Tyler get their driver's licenses (and vehicles) so they can come up every weekend? 

Steve Zuppa replied:
Funny how it "All Comes 'Round Again." Chris Urbanski's grandfather was the senior man on the B&M(Guilford) conductors list in the early 90s. As such, he got to pick and choose the assignment he wanted. He chose the Salem switcher, which operated out of his hometown and enabled him to have a regular home life. Frequently, he would see an always respectful but otherwise unabashed railfan on every branch they would have need to call upon. Eventually, he invited me into the cab and that began my carreer as the unofficial "extra brakeman".I learned an awful lot from this man and heard all the praise he heaped upon his son. Today, I'm proud to know both of them and I wish i had met Chris on the work weekend.I won't let the opportunity slip by again.
Steve

jockellis replied:
My favorite shot is the fireman at the tower. Steam should always be shot in black and white!
Jock Ellis

Stewart Rhine replied:
We are fortunate to have such an accomplished lens artist in our ranks ... Steve, thanks for posting those great photos.

Brian Murphy replied:
wow those pictures are great! nice job Steve. i was so mad that i couldn't make it up for the weekend. I was grounded and still am(until june 18 which is my 17th birthday and license re-in statement day)  for getting my drivers license suspended back in march for 90 days because i was driving a person illegally. Stupid Comm. of Mass. laws. Seriously what is 6 months of experience really going to do for a person. but whatever. lol I cant wait to get up around the end of june! i miss it so much, if there are any more picture that any one has from the weekend and recent events at the museum please email them to me at mailto:monsterb618@comcast.net

-Brian
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum