Author Topic: Perus-Pirapora Railroad Brazil  (Read 14210 times)

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Perus-Pirapora Railroad Brazil
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
Perus-Pirapora Railroad in Brazil was a 60 cm. cement hauler.  They had several Baldwins.  Several engines survive but owner has no interest in preservation.  Unofficial page has some interesting photos of engines and rolling stock, note the #13 crane.

Link   http://www.geocities.com/perus_pirapora/

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Perus-Pirapora Railroad Brazil
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
I wonder if they'd be willing to part with some stuff?
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »
I wonder if they'd be willing to part with some stuff?
Like a frame, wheels, and cylinders from an 0-6-0 or a 2-6-0.  ;)
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:05 AM »
Not to mention trucks, wheelsets, brake parts, etc.  Especially if some of those old pax cars really have pax trucks.  hint hint
Moxie Bootlegger

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »
I've heard that Brazil has declared all of that equipment, as well as all other historic rail equipment to be "National Treasures." This means they can not be removed from Brazil.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »
I believe Kieth is correct. That not only has the goverment put their stamp on this stuff but the owner will not even talk to a local group that is trying to aquire the line to preserve it. Although the group has managed to do some work on some of the stuff. So NO soap there not even a nut or bolt.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:50:26 PM »
Alas as with all government interventions - it makes it worse, not better.  Kiss this stuff goodbye....
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »
About 4-5 years ago, I had extensive correspondence with a geology professor in California and a gentleman in Sao Paulo concerning the Perus-Pirapora cement railway. Both confirmed that the railway was in a state of suspended animation. This came about because the company had declared bankruptcy at about the same time the Brazilian government declared the property and all its assets a historical treasure. So the company could not dispose of assets to relieve the bankruptcy and the government would not permit any access to the property to preserve the railway. In more recent times, a preservation group has rehabilitated a short section of track and has a small 0-4-0T  under steam on certain dates.

I believe in the archive of the old discussion site, there remain several lengthy threads on this subject. I believe there are also several YouTube videos of the operation featuring the 2-6-2 engines and also clips of the recent preservation effort including some views of the 0-4-0T currently in use on a short section of the line.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »
The thread about this railroad that was in the old forum has been located and restored:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=800.0
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »
Guess things are changing down in Brazil. Just saw a posting on the narrow gauge discution board someone asking for help translating their newsletter and board. Asking for anyone who can translate Portges to English.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
Hi Folks,

It looks like the EFPP equipment is going to be moved to a new location and that various locomotive pieces/parts are extraneous and available for sale.  Check out the link.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,130904

Best Regards,
Glenn

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 05:57:20 AM »
Overall that is very good news.  I've been following developments on the P-P for a few years now and perhaps finally the equipment can be restored and operated.  Two of those Baldwin Prairies are near spitting images of WW&F #6 (apart from the valve gear).  I wish them success and hope they have storage space for the locos.  I may have missed it but what is the name of the organization that is working on this project?

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 08:03:48 AM »
Saw something that said the owner was donating most of the mainline from Km2 to the end of the mainline. some of the branchs are not included but the main yard and shop area are included. This is were the equitment is to be moved to. It did not say what equitment would be surplused out but did say some might be let go. This would be the stuff that is in the worst shape or unneeded. So maybe but at what cost to aquire then transport?

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
Well, if it's possible to get someone to do an onsite inspection BEFORE purchase, then perhaps some valuable pieces/parts can be acquired...
if not?
If things are auctioned off in "lots-as-is" or something like that, it might be worth it to grab a lot or two to scrounge through for usable stuff.
Perhaps the leftover scrap could be traded for new parts?
Eh.... who knows.