Author Topic: Saw Mill siding  (Read 6708 times)

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
Saw Mill siding
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
I have seen a few comments about a "saw mill siding." Where is this being installed?
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Mill siding
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
A bit north of Cockeye Curve, there is a crossing that was once called Hall's Crossing, but is now being referred to as Sheepscott Mills. You may also remember this location as having a dilapidated trailer (now gone) on the east side.  A new home is being constructed on the east side where the trailer used to be. This will be the home Cashel and Brian Fanslau, Jason's partner in the boiler business. The proposed sawmill location, and associated siding, would be on the west side. The exact plans for such a siding are currently in flux.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
Here is a view (looking northward) of Sheepscot Mills taken last weekend, which shows the freshly installed crossing timbers.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Mill siding, now station names
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »
Speaking of station names, I'm sure that the train crews have an "Employee's Timetable" showing station names and mile posts for each station. (Bearing in mind a "station" is anyplace listed in the timetable by name.....not a building, that is a depot) Is there a copy of the station listings with current names and mile posts available online?
Keith

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
Nice photo shot Stephen Hussar.  :) ;) :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
There isn't an online version of station listings.  I do keep a spreadsheet of all distances and station locations.  However next time you're around there should be an ETT on the sign in/sign out desk on the right hand side.  You may have to remove random papers from on top of them.

Incidentally, in past years I've been able to keep the ETT and all the station listings on a single sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper.  With the latest extension of track it brings us another one or two crossings, which tips the scale so that I can no longer fit it on a single piece of paper and still be readable.  If we were to reduce the numbers of trains we run I could still fit it, but I don't think we want to do that.

James
Keeper of the Timetable.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »
Wow the road looks like it sees a lot more use now. Logging? Thanks for clearing up the saw mill siding.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
On the west side of the railroad is a Yurt where a family lives.  A yurt is something like a large tent that was used by nomad in Central Asia.  I don't believe that they stayed through the winter in the yurt.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:21:15 PM »
A yurt is still used today by the nomad herders in Mongolia.  You can find info on them from National Geographic magazine.  They had a story on them about 9 months ago.

Typical teacher .......... lots of bits of trivia about who knows what  ;D

P.S. Quiz next week
Moxie Bootlegger