Author Topic: Postcards & DVDs  (Read 4063 times)

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Postcards & DVDs
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
Stephen and Mike, those photos go beyond "excellent."  Is there a market for these as post cards in the Gift Shop?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Postcards & DVDs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
Postcards are nice but how about this ...  There have been so many excellent photos taken at the museum in the last few years, how about creating a photo CD made to sell in the gift shop.  There would be chapters such as early musuem views, track construction, rolling stock maint and locomotive restoration.  Another chapter would be a "Then and Now" piece featuring historic photos paired with similar museum images and historic re-creations like the new photo with Dana and "Smokey Joe"  I think it would sell, I'd buy one.   

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Postcards & DVDs
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
We at the store are listening .....   but we are wondering who will step up to make the CD or DVD, and will the cost of doing them allow for a profit to contribute to the museum.

Postcards and Calendars we are on top of, and will use some of these new images - anybody want to help with the "doing" of CD's & DVD's?

Anyone want to donate the costs of these "doings".

Some of the things I want to remind all of our super enthusiastic Forum suggesters is that 1. we have a regular attendance volunteer base that is "aging out". 2. We must not create too many specific project funds for our donations. (in other words, we still need to pay for the lights and coal.) & 3. Those of you who are not members , who are not active volunteers, and/or who do not send money, are going to have a hard time continuing to feel a "part" of this wonderful museum if you do not do that little bit of something to help ensure its future.

So, keep up the good ideas, and we hope to see you soon at Sheepscot Station!
Allan Fisher

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Postcards & DVDs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Allan, I think a photo CD or better yet, a DVD with steam passenger and freight run-bys would do well.  Yes it would take some work to produce.  The guys at my fire house put a DVD together with 25 minutes of video and another 20 minutes of stills with music and narration in the background.  It took them about 4 hours to do it.  I don't know how to put a program together but I would be willing to help pay for the production of a WW&F DVD.  Mike has some great video and there are many other folks with video and stills that could go into the project.  We could include some of Rogers video from the 1997 and 98 picnics for interest.  A Special Features section could have historic and modern still photos with captions.  It could be run as a slide show at the option of the viewer.

We have some very talented members and I'm sure someone could put something together.  The BOD could review and approve it.  Most of the cost is in the set up and copying of images into chapters.  After the master is created the cost to burn a DVD from it is minimal. 

Stewart