Author Topic: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread  (Read 134223 times)

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »
Looks good.

How will the Smokebox brace be treated?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2018, 01:01:30 AM »
Wow, looks great!

How will the Smokebox brace be treated?

It should be an easy blacksmithing job to adjust the braces to fit the new diameter.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
 Bernie, it’s a great fit!
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »
During the spring work weekend, we turned a corner in the year-long effort to reorganize, restructure, and improve the car shop. While there is still more work to be done, we have gotten the shop to the point where we can not only work on projects again, but work on them more efficiently.

During the work weekend, there was a team working to build a portable hydraulic power unit using a 22hp has engine. Once we fit a set of quick-disconnect hoses, this will entirely replace the use of the tractor to power the flanger, and allow us to work in a quieter environment when flanging. Over the winter, Jason designed a new waterjet cut template for referencing the backhead to the flanging die. This should provide much improved flexibility of the flanging machine. He is looking forward to sinking his teeth back into flanging once the primary focus of volunteer efforts have transitioned to the car barn extension under Brendan's leadership.

Starting this past week, we have begun working on the smokebox, which included turning down the outside diameter of the support ring to the final dimension, and getting it set up to match drill with the smokebox sheet.

We look forward to continuing to make progress #10 and the 21 Campaign as time and manpower resources allow, and updates will be posted in the respective threads and 21 Campaign Facebook page as appropriate. Thank you to all of our donors for helping us get over the finish line with the project funding!
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2019, 05:52:39 AM »
Happy to know that #10 and 21 Campaign are on the road again.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
 Has work on #10 been restarted or when is a restart planed/contemplated? Or have other projects taken priority for now?

Terry Shellenberger

• Museum Member
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:52 PM »
What is the status of number ten?  There are undated photos on facebook, are they current or historical?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2021, 10:19:32 PM »
The FB photos are historical.

Actually, there is a crew working THIS WEEK fabricating parts for #10 and #11. Look for an official update on 9/11!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
VIDEO UPDATE

12/1/2021 - The throat sheet for #10's new boiler is bent into shape. (short video)
This work included forming the knuckle by hand, using wooden mallets to form the final curve over a die. The flanging machine was used to hold the workpiece in position on the template during this operation.

That work completed the flanging of components for No. 10’s new boiler. They will be sent out for normalization by heat treatment, and when the parts are returned, the crew will begin to fit-up and test assemble the parts before seeing them to Maine Locomotive & Machine Works for welding. This should mean that No. 10’s boiler will be completed other than installation of the flues. Sometime in late winter or early spring the boiler will be reunited with No. 10’s frame, and we may then see No 10 returned to service sometime in 2022!

See the Build 11 thread for photos.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
#10  up and running in 2022 that would be great.  I have fantasies about  a double headed train departing from TBS and climbing up the mountain to TOM It would be great. I'm sure you'll make my fantasie comes true.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »
#10  up and running in 2022 that would be great.  I have fantasies about  a double headed train departing from TBS and climbing up the mountain to TOM It would be great. I'm sure you'll make my fantasie comes true.
Not quite from TBS but was from the bridge with 7 and 9 and a fleet of varnish this past August.
Lineside: https://youtu.be/XdJeOpLAoHQ
Onboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MVecNS5__o
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
Nice videos thank you so much. With a bit less of varnish # 9 and #10 will make it.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
Nice videos thank you so much. With a bit less of varnish # 9 and #10 will make it.
When we get 11 running, it probably won't need 10, but the two could be paired together for photo effects.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »
When we get 11 running, it probably won't need 10, but the two could be paired together for photo effects.

With a running start I bet 11 could easily do 5 cars, but this was 6, and one of them was the Rangely (which is the weight of a fully loaded regular passenger car). Combine 14 is pretty heavy, too. 7 never broke loose on this climb but I promised Jason I wouldn't try to pull 9 apart going up the hill. So I just kept a pace while 9 worked it's heart out trying to take the slack out of the coupler they were sharing.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2022, 09:13:36 PM »
Any update on #10's status?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter