Author Topic: Bridgton ROW  (Read 12696 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Bridgton ROW
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »
  Things have been too quiet on here for a while, so I will finally take the time to post some info I found out this winter.
  While I was enjoying a day on my snowmobile, I decided to head for Bridgton. Once there I found myself on the right of way behind Dunkin Donuts. So I followed what was left of the right of way towards Sandy Creek. I was surprised at how much of it had been disturbed. A lot of the fill from the grade had been removed in places.  Still visible where it used to be. From this location headed toward Bridgton, there is a short stretch where the ROW is next to the brook. Very nice area.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgton ROW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »
Mike,
I agree.  As you know I walked that stretch a few years back and it is very nice.  Where the ROW heads out into the wetlands (toward the transfer station) it is amazingly quiet considering there are 2 roads just a few hundred feet away in 2 directions.  Like you, I noticed a large amount of the ROW fill missing as I headed toward Bridgton.  Not too sure if was lost to atv's or to folks who needed fill.
Duncan
PS: Sounds like you need another dose of ROW hiking

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:18:28 PM »
Well, fill dirt can always be replaced more easily than ROW encroached upon by buildings or roads. ;)

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »
Pete,
There's mostly woods behind the various buildings that abut or encroach upon the original ROW.  If needs be I'm sure some sort of agreement could be reached whereby a new ROW could be created adjacent to the various properties so as to meet up on both ends with the original.  And, yes, gravel fill is relatively cheap and could be added where needed.
Duncan

Bob Meckley

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
Duncan, Mike, Dana:
     Is it time to plan another trip to the B&SR ROW? I thoroughly enjoyed the trip last Fall. Just before Thanksgiving last year I explored the little road that leaves 302 just before the B&SR crosses at Bridgeton Jct. It cuts through the ROW and then swings left and on it for a short stretch. This is the climb up Smalls Mt in East Hiram. The road swings back across the grade to an extensive gravel pit at the top. The grade with some moss covered ties can be seen at this point. This road connects with the road at Scribner's Mill. The grade continues as an ATV, walking trail from here to Rankins. I continued to Rankins Mill which you could see clearly with the foliage gone. It looks like much of the mill is still there although much modified. The grade past the Summit and to Hancock Pond should be less muddy than the northern stretch. I'll be up at Alna for the work session, maybe that's the time to organize.

Bob Meckley
Glen NH

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
When we do another, We should make an effort to do the Harrison Branch. Dana has not seen most of it and we could all learn a few more things about it. Definately will have to plan one in the future.
Mike

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Pete,
There's mostly woods behind the various buildings that abut or encroach upon the original ROW.  If needs be I'm sure some sort of agreement could be reached whereby a new ROW could be created adjacent to the various properties so as to meet up on both ends with the original.  And, yes, gravel fill is relatively cheap and could be added where needed.
Duncan
Oh, I understand buildings and such can still be gotten arond in that area, but it's easier to fill a few spots with missing fill than (re)construct the whole grade from the ground up. That's all.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
May I suggest this fall, post-foliage?  My own preference would be south to the Junction, but I'll defer to the tour guides as they put most of the effort into the event.   

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
Ive been over most of the ROW from the Junction to Bridgton and over about 1/3 from Bridgton to Harrison.  I'd really like to see the remaining parts of the Harrison branch but like Bill I'll defer to the tour guides too.  Last fall was a good time for me and a real learning experience too with the more knowlegeable folks who were my hiking mates.
Duncan

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:20 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm up for a trip on either end of the line.  I have to admit that I'd prefer we explore the Harrison Branch but I'm flexible.  I've never seen the Harrison Yard area and have wondered if there is anything left on the ground that's still identifiable as a railroad location.  For instance, is the old corn shop building still there?  And what about the siding that crossed the main road to a grain mill/store?

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Dana,
The corn shop building is gone and the entire area has been built up with a few homes. If you have some vintage pics in hand it is possible to pick out homes from the past that were in the background.  The road passing the old trestlework was moved years ago which made it difficult at first for me to reconcile old pictures with the current roadway.  All in all it is interesting to look at the area and search for signs of the old ROW.  I would enjoy doing some more "research" on the Harrison area.
Duncan

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
Duncan,

I have an original copy of a book called "Sebgo Lake Land" that has an aerial photo taken around 1940 that shows the Harrison Yard.  The station was still there as was the engine house, corn shop, etc.  It would be a good reference image to use when we go.  My grandfather used to visit an acquaintance in Harrison who claimed to live in the "old depot".  I never got up there to check out the story but maybe there is a railroad building still up there that we don't know about.  Maybe it was moved.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Dana,
That picture could be invaluable in locating exactly where the station was in the Harrison of today.  There's not too much to go on where the yard once stood.  I seem to recall reading in one of the blogs or possibly in a conversation during our last hike that the location of that station/house is known or suspected.  I've wandered that area more than a few times but usually on my own.  Doing so with like-minded folks sounds like a great time in the making.
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
A few of us went there the fall before last. We had pretty much agreed the current road runs very close to the Station location. The row of planted pine trees I figure was the location of the track. Harrison yard area is small and easy to explore. But very hard to pinpoint exact locations. Using old pictures for reference was the way we concluded what we did. Here is my before and after shot of the yard.
Then...

And now.....
Mike

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
That's awesome, Mike...thanks for posting those!