Author Topic: Museum Gift Shop  (Read 106207 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Museum Gift Shop
« on: March 30, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
 Since it is up and running, I would like to now direct your attention to the gift shop page on the website. I spent some time this winter and photographed a lot of the items we have and have had in the past. James allowed me to upload them to the website and Mark Edry re-created the gift shop page to make it work. There are a few pictures left to acquire but for the most part, what you see is what we have. http://www.wwfry.org/ Check it out. See what you don't have.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Museum Gift Shop
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
The photos are an excellent addition to the on-line catalog. Should result in lots more sales.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
Wow!That's fantastic! It's something I'd been thinking of doing for a long time, but frankly I was too intimidated by the amount of work I knew it would entail - and now you've gone and done it! It looks great and I'm sure it will boost sales, especially for items that really need a picture like tee shirts and other logo items.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
Excellent! Great job, Mike, Mark and James!

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
My compliments to Mike, James and Mark. IMHO it is all the attention to these details that make up a successful enterprise.
Just wondering if there are plans to fill in some more of the item descriptions?
Gawdon

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
Mark and Mike did all the work.  I just gave them permission. ;D

Someday we'll have a real online gift store, but that's more than I want to tackle. 

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
I'm glad people are happy with the page.
I had tried to make it slicker but ran into problems with how different web browsers "interpret" the standards, so without going into scripting or animation, in the end it is a simple table. But that being said, it gets the information across.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:03 PM »
Mike, Mark & James;
I must echo the the sentiments of the others: great job.  For those among us, myself included, who enjoy collecting all things Maine 2 Foot, this is a welcome addition.  No more wondering if you've already purchased an item when it is plainly visible.  I especially like how the items enlarge when clicked. 
Again, great job all.
Duncan

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »
I especially like how the items enlarge when clicked. 

Wow! I didn't realize that - this just keeps getting better and better!

One nit to pick, however. Now that I realize I can enlarge things, I enlarged several things including the "Train Time at Alna Center" note paper. The price shown in the price column is $10, but the price in the picture is $4. Ooops.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
Guess I should have pulled all those neatly applied stickers off. I tried one, it was stuck on well and made a mess of things.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
Now that everyone can see the excellent attire and books we all carry --- please buy buy buy!!!  This is an appeal from your Treasurer.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Great job on the updated gift shop page!

I wonder if we can get some photos of models wearing our various items of clothing for sale?  Do you think Fred and Kielbasa Dave would be willing to pose?
What–me worry?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
Do you think Fred and Kielbasa Dave would be willing to pose?
Please remember that the mission of the gift shop is to sell stuff. :D

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
I picked up the latest volume (VI) of Narrowgauge in the Sheepscot Valley at the gift shop during the work weekend.  There's more color photos in this book than in the previous volumes.  Some color images are of old W&Q/WW&F Timetables - good stuff.  The collection of newly published historic WW&F photos also makes the book well worth the price.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »
The latest book in the gift shop is "The Narrow Gauge Railroad in Alna, Maine" by Jim Bergmann.  The 96 page work is published by the museum and printed by Lincoln County Publishing in Newcastle.  Text covers operations of the W&Q / WW&F in Alna from 1895 through 1933.  Much of the information comes from newspaper articles and the diaries of local citizens of that era.  Additional information is taken from the Alna Town Reports from the 1890's into the 1930's.  Some highlights -  Lots of new information on the bridge over the railroad cut at Head Tide.  There was quite a bit of wrangling over the structure which only existed for 17 years.  The book has a number of photographs and documents which have not been published before.  The diarie entries are interesting with descriptions of items taken to Sheepscot and Head Tide stations.  Good information on what the railroad carried back then. It is a good read and will be enjoyed by modelers and historians.  The price is $20