Author Topic: Lawndale Ry boxcar restoration  (Read 9590 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Lawndale Ry boxcar restoration
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
Last week, Zack recounted the story of bringing boxcar 309 to the museum (from Connecticut), and the intense restoration that ensued. The condition of the Lawndale Ry boxcar in this article bears quite a striking resemblence to our 309. And next time you're at the museum, go into bay 3 and take a closer look at the original siding from the 309, then go look at the restored car...notice the varying width of each board, replicated exactly on the entire car. Thank you Zack, Marcel, and everyone else who worked on bringing the 309 back from the farm...literally.
http://www.tarheelpress.com/LawndaleBoxcar/

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Lawndale Ry boxcar restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:39 AM »
Steve,  That's a great link.  I saw the tail end of the 309 restoration in 1997.  Zack and Marcel did the entire job in bay one with just a few power tools.  It's one of the best wooden boxcar restorations in the country.  There are a number of photos in the 1996-97 newsletters. 

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »
The article makes you wonder, doesn't it? Is it possible that there might still be a WW&F car or two buried in the brush in someone's backyard or field...

Before

After

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
It sure would be great to find another piece of original WW&F rolling stock, I've thought about it while hiking the right of way in various towns.  I take a second look when ever I see a shed that may be the right size. 

Our restoration of the 309 is something that should be given better coverage in the displays.  I think we should have a WW&F Museum Museum to show some of the things that happened over the last 20 years of the organization.  We have come a long way, it's hard to believe that 320 is over 10 years old.  Doesn't seem that long ago that I worked on building and hanging the side and end doors with Zack and Marcel.  There are visitors and a whole bunch of members who have joined since the early to mid 1990's that didn't see the formative things were happening back then.  It makes me proud to be part of such a great group and I think we should "beat our own drum" from time to time.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »
Perhaps I should donate a horn so that we can toot that too! ;D
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
Pardon me I know this topic is old but had the museum purchased this boxcar from its location or is it still sitting there after the brush was cleared away?
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
Hi Matt,

If you follow the link in the original post you will see that the car has been lovingly restored:

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
The Southeast Narrow Gauge and Short Line Museum has continued to advance; they bought a couple of D&RGW gondolas to obtain the trucks etc to go under their Lawndale and other freight cars. They have also added some standard gauge cabooses and a dining car. And best of all; most of the equipment is under a shelter.
Ted Miles, WW&F Member, narrow gauge fan