Author Topic: "What you said"... Pronunciation & Dialect Differences.  (Read 8842 times)

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
"What you said"... Pronunciation & Dialect Differences.
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:14:42 PM »
Thanks Keith for bringing this article to our attention. Near the end of the article is this sentence about the materials for the rivets:

"The rivets have to be custom made with just the right mix of materials to have just the right tinsel properties."

The reporter is not writing about Christmas tree decorations here. In the summer of 1948 I worked in the C&O main shops in Huntington, West Virginia, and from that experience I can vouch for the fact that West Virginians do indeed say "tinsel" when they mean "tensile."  A couple of others I recall are "arn" for "iron," "MEE-ilk" for "milk," and "He DEE-id?" for "He did?"

hey steve, as a frequent visitor to the great nrhs chapter in huntington, i agree with their murdering the pronunciations, but at least every other adjective isn't 'wicked'.... dale
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:53:52 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Article on another restoration project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
what accent? 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
What's wrong with wicked? I like it a lot better than some other choice words. ;D
I have to be good now and refrain from selecting some choice adjectives to pick on. ;)
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
I remember using "wicked" over in Wales, and got some strange looks...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
I was in Morgantown WV last month and was talking to a store clerk about light fixtures.  She asked what keller I was interested in.  I paused for a moment then realized that she meant color ... the conversation continued.

Being in Maryland I can go from the Penna Dutch zone to West Va twang country in a few hours drive. It's all good. 

As to Maryland ... I won't even mention the Eastern Shore dialect or Bawlmer-ese. 

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »
Stewart, I once asked a friend what happened to the "I" in "Bawlmer" and he said it was moved to the Pataps"i"co River.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: "What you said"... Pronunciation & Dialect Differences.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
Keith, so true!  Remember ... if youz wind up in Bawlmer ya gotta have some steamed crabs hon  ;D

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
Stewart, last time I was in Baltimore, not passing through on Amtrak's "The Silver Star" I did in fact have the steamed crab. And within sight of the Bromo-Seltzer tower, which luckily was not needed, as the crab was delicious! An Amtrak engineer friend of mine had his mother make some of her famous Crab Imperial on that trip too. I was sorely tempted to make a bump to the Baltimore area after a few meals there!
Keith

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
And if you are ever in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain Oysters are great when deep fried. Yes, I enjoy them!!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
Keith,  Glad you know about the Maryland steamed crabs.  The Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs are the best for steamed crabs and making crab cakes.  That reminds me of another Baltimore-ism ...  The folks from Northern and Western MD have to go "downey ocean" to get the best seafood.  Lots of good crab shacks in Ocean City.  The shrimp is some good too!