Author Topic: What if.............  (Read 10434 times)

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
What if.............
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
What if........
The WW&F survived the great depression, and found a way to keep the line's perverbial head above the water, what do you think the line would have looked like? Rolling stock? New locomotives? The reason why I ask is i have been working on a gas/diesel-mechanical locomotive design (24" gauge) that would be in-expensive to build and operate, but I want it to have the look an feel of the 1940's style that was present in trucks. I mean like chrome trim, a rounded grill ect. Kinda like a GE 44 tonner built by Ford. Small and usefull.
Anyway, I'm glad to see you gents are plugging away at the car shop. Looks great.
Rob

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: What if.............
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »
Rob;
Some time ago (pre-Discussion Group) I circulated a fairy tale wherein Raymond Lowey was driving his Studebaker through Wiscasset and came to design fairings for a streamlined narrow gauge steam locomotive as a way to modernize the WW&F. As for diesel/electric, I think it might have been something local cobbled together. It's fun to daydream about what might have been.
KD

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
The Western Maryland Railway had a 1940 Ford railbus that began life as a 1 ton truck.  The front end had the look you are talking about.  You can find photos of if by Googling the Western Maryland Railway.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »

This is what I am thinking of. I want to be a part of the museum and I also want to have my own locomotive, so why not build something that "would have, might have or should have been". Just kicking ideas around.
Rob

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
While dreaming about what the WW&F might have become is a lot of fun, we mustn't forget the Museum's mission statement, which is:

The Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum, Inc., is a non-profit organization established in 1989 to acquire, preserve, and restore the operation of narrow gauge railroads and equipment which operated in the Sheepscot Valley and on other roads and to establish a Museum for the display of artifacts for the enlightenment and education of the general public concerning the social and economic impact of railroads on the communities served.

It's with this statement in mind that we've tried to remain true-to-period in the early twentieth century.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
No doubt I agree 100%. I just like to think outside the box sometimes.
Rob

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Just because you have a locomotive doesn't necessarily mean we'll let it be operated on the railroad...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »
If Robert brings a locomotive we should let him use it. It would be a nice change of scenery.
KD

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
James,
I hope I did not imply that if I built this that the museum would be obligated to allow me to run it on the line. I don't think I asked that. All I am saying is "what if". What would have been the natural progression of the railroad and it's motive power/cars is all I'm thinking about. I can only be member (soon to be) from a distance until I retire out of the Airforce.
Rob

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »
The following is my opinion only from my observations and working with the WW&F folks.

The WW&F is run by a very active board of directors who have created their own "box" or set of rules by which the railroad would be operated.  So far this has worked for the railroad and has created the atmosphere we all love at the railroad.  For the most part I agree with an active board of directors (some operations I am familiar with only have a board of directors in name only) and their policies.

Bringing outside equipment to the railroad can create a number of problems, liability being one that comes to mind first.  As soon as an exception is made, then others will want to bring their stuff.  Then people will want to leave their stuff there, and soon the place becomes a junk yard.  By the time such a locomotive is built, the RR may be under compliance and will the locomotive or cars qualify?  I'm sure there are others up there who could add many more things to this list.

Since you are dreaming about a locomotive, why focus on your own and apply your talents to the construction of #11?  It is going to take quite a few  people to get this locomotive built in a timely manner.  Become part of the team where the groundwork and engineering have been laid.

Have you seen the costs of making any parts for your locomotive?  I have said before in this forum that the costs to make anything new will knock your socks off and then some unless you have access to some junk locomotives which could become a parts source.

I know it is fun to dream, but I think it is better to jump in and work with a suitable project which has been started.

Bernie

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »
Ok, First off I never would impose on the wishes of the board or the RR. Second, this is my personal goal to design and build my own locomotive and it would be free-lanced on the basis of if the WW&F survived into the late 40's or early 50's. Now, I DO desire to become involved with the building of #11, as I could gain skills into the difficult parts of design and construction. I would love to be able to learn how to make patterns for casting as well as machining items. The problem for me is being unable to take leave and travel so far, but that might change once I move. I also did not mean for this idea to be a distractor in any way. Sorry.

Rob

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
Hey Rob, I for one think it's a neat idea. I totally understand militairy commitments making it difficult to attend/volunnteer at the RR and it's events.
Personally, I belive if the loco is built soundly enough and in compliance with the regulations and to any specifics the board may decree I can't see why an occasional visit might not be possible, like the motorcars that others own which occasionally appear on the line. ;)
I belive the bottom line should be willingness to cooperate with the board for prior approval and be willing to accept the "no-answer" if it comes.
But as for folowing your dream of building your own engine, GO FOR IT!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:39 AM »
No motor cars in Sheepscot yet. The one that is under construction will be on loan to the museum to use. A reproduction of a car that was used on the SR&RL.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »
No motor cars in Sheepscot yet. The one that is under construction will be on loan to the museum to use. A reproduction of a car that was used on the SR&RL.

No, but some have visited. ;)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Here's some history of equipment visiting the WW&F Railway Museum.  SR&RL Model T railcar 2 started visiting Sheepscot for the Annual Picnic in 1994.  It was privately owned at the time.  The Board agreed to let the car visit and Harry and Jason inspected it and cleared it for operation. It returned for the picnic a number of years afterward.  In 1998, former Monson 0-4-4 #3 came to Sheepscot on loan from Maine Narrow Gauge.  It vsited for the Annual picnic, pulling the first steam powered trains on the WW&F since 1933.  The engine returned to Portland at the end of August but came back to Sheepscot for the picnic the following year.  In August of 2000, SR&RL Model T railcar 1, (the Vose car) visited Sheepscot and ran with SR&RL railcar 2 as the second section of a special passenger train.       
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:55:20 PM by Stewart Rhine »