Author Topic: OK Winter, I Surrender  (Read 26534 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: OK Winter, I Surrender
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
Not to mention, a hyperdrive, dual exhaust, and Corinthian leather interior.  ;)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »
Time to revive this thread.  Why ? ... because it is once again snowing hard in northern Maryland.  There is 4 feet of snow of the ground (no, that's not a typo) with another 12 to 18 inches on the way.  Add in 40 - 50 mph wind gusts and I think I woke up in Telluride this morning.  The power has been out for 4 days so I've been living with the generator and wood stove.  The fun part ... reading two foot books by the light of a WW&F kerosene hand lantern.  Yep, definately looking forward to going to New England to get away from all this. 

BTW - There's talk of moving the Winter Olympics to Washington DC.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
Stewart, the weather down there is just toughening you up for Winter here in Maine.  Frequent power outages, frequent snow storms, cold northerly winds - sounds just like home, but not typical for this year.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
James,
When you say "not typical for this year", you aren't kidding. I'm sitting at my desk at work waiting for snow that apparently will not be hitting western Mass anytime soon (big hole in the storm stretching from Hartford, CT to Greenfield, MA).  We had already cancelled 2nd & 3rd shifts in anticipation of 6" to 10" of snow.  The cities around my town have all cancelled school and shut down many businesses in anticipation of snow that has failed to arrive.
So Stewart, if you want a respite from the snow this year just come on to western Mass.  We have dry roads green yards.
Duncan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
Thanks Duncan, I may take you up on that, but it's been snowing so long I gotta look up "green"  in the dictionary!  James, There have been bad storms in years past with a foot or two of snow and the power going out for a few days, we are prepared for that ... but we set new temperature and snow records this time.  I know 70 some inches a season is typical in parts of New England but Northern Maryland has never totals like that and never had back to back two-foot plus snow storms in just 3 days.  The local media is calling the storms "Snowmegedon" Part 1 and 2.  Maybe gettin thru this qualifies me to be ready for a bad Maine winter.  

I had some coal here that I picked up from the B&SR grade a few years ago.  I threw it in the stove this morning.  It burned well and man did the house smell great.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:51:32 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
Are you ready for Round 3, Stewart? There may be more snow next Monday or Tuesday! Aiiiieee!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
Bad Maine winter? Been some deep ones, but those are usually the good ones. Bad ones have bare ground.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
Philly has had 42.5" of snow in five (5) days.  Enough!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
Ken,  Now that the storms in DC, Baltimore & Philly have been on the national news every night I think everyone believes us.  I saw how bad it was in Philly.  The Baltimore area has now had almost 80" of snow and my area has had 91".  I just finished clearing 4 feet of snow off my car port so it won't collapse.   Yep, I think we've had enough snow in the Mid-Atlantic region for a while.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:50 AM »
It isnt any better on the Jersey Shore. Had 18 inches with the first storm then another 12-14 on top of that this past Wed. Sounds like a round three is coming Sunday or Monday with mentions of snow in the forcast for later in the week as well. Even the beaches are white!
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
If it makes anyone feel better, the Associated Press today is reporting snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 states. Hawaii is the only holdout.  :D

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
Actually Wayne, Mauna Kea, on the big island, has snow on it. At 13,796 ft., people hike up there and ski.  By the way, Mauna Kea means White Mountain.

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Snow
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
Ah! We finally got some of that white stuff down here in Georgia. It got pretty deep - about 3/4 inch - before the whole place stalled out. I got halfway to work Friday, turned around and called my boss and said I couldn't get there. We ended up with 3 1/4 inches here at the house. Sure is beautiful, but I think just how much prettier it would be with a two-foot railroad running through the woods in my backyard. Or even a 7 1/2 incher.
Couldn't find a single AA battery that worked so I had to shoot my photos on film that I had put in the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat in my wife's car and forgotten about. Lucky I'm getting old and senile or I wouldn't have had any way to record it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:27:38 AM by Jock Ellis »
Jock Ellis

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 10:45:17 AM »
According to the AP story in this morning's newspaper, " Hawaii's 13,800-foot Mauna Kea volcano, which often gets snow much of the year at its higher elevations, is the most likely place in the 50th state to have snow, but there 'is nothing right now,' said research meteorologist Tiziana Cherubin at the Manuna Kea weather center."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:26:10 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Oh well!  There goes my Hawaii Ski Trip.  Darn, I guess I'll to go Blue Mountain.  If this global warming keeps up, then perhaps the next rolling stock to build should be flanger and maybe a snow plow.  I can see it now, #9, #10 and #11 plowing the main.