Author Topic: OK Winter, I Surrender  (Read 26513 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
OK Winter, I Surrender
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »
OK Winter, I've had enough playing.  Let's go home now.

Between 3 days of no power and the massive snow banks around here, I'm ready for spring.

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: OK Winter, I Surrender
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »
How much more snow did you get?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
Dwight beat me to the punch, James.  I'm curious, too -- how much snow did you get?

Want to know if I need to bring snow shoes if I come up to the museum on March 7.

- Bill
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
I recieved 20 inches in Waterford. That brings my total for the winter to 98 inches. Close to what we had last year at this time, which was 105.5 inches. I'm just glad it isn't snowing every 3rd day like it did last year. I took my snowshoes Saturday and used them to pack trails around so we could get back to burning brush. Too bad the trail is now under knee deep snow.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:38:02 PM »
Gee, it has been in the upper 60's here in Denver the past week. Total snowfall has been around 5" this season.
VERY dry here as the UP set many fires, yesterday, from a diesel, including a 100 year old house with a 92 year old resident who survived unhurt. Shades of coal burning steam engines setting grass fires.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about your weather. Here in Tucson Arizona it was in the 80's and Tiger and the boy and everyone else was running around in shirt sleeves. The low was some place in the 50's. So why don't you guys bring your trains down here so we can play all year round?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
At my house we got somewhere around a foot.  I didn't measure it, so I don't know exactly.  It was wet, heavy snow, which coated every available surface.  This helped bring down branches which brought down the power.  Very pretty.  There are still a number of poles and trees with snow stuck to the north side from the winds during the storm.

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
8" here in woolwich, and the power finally returned this afternoon. 4 days w/o power is ducky.

Rain tomorrow, then snow, sunday and monday?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »
After having the coldest January on record and the first half of February wasn't much better, the last few days it was 55 degrees in Maryland.  The frost is coming out and heaving my porch up.  Tomorrow we are due to get 4-6" of snow starting as a "Wintery mix" in the afternoon.  The weather's not as bad as New England but the words "Wintery mix" sends the Baltimore City and DC folks running to the grocery store. 

Just keep thinking ... Track weekend is only 9 weeks away!!

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
60oF here in Westwood (outside Boston) yesterday.  8 - 12" snow predicted here by Tuesday morning.

Is it spring yet?
What–me worry?

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
Just so you guy's won't feel to bad, Thursday we had 8 inches here in Minnesota, I was in the southern part of the state, there was less snow but they had freezing rain first! It's no fun driving a semi on that stuff.  O well, four more weeks and the worst will be over. The sun even feels warmer now.
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
Winter must have heard my plea and has begun to give up it's grip.  40's and 50's yesterday, with rain in the evening, plus sunny in the PM today has gotten rid of a lot of snow on the roof, and ice in my driveway and on my eaves.  Now of course we have to deal with the mud, but I like mud.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
James, don't smile too much, they are forecasting another snow storm Sunday night through Monday.
Keith

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
Denver has +12* last night and 70* predicted for the early part of the week. A crazy winter(?) for sure.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
Another foot or so out the window right now, light fluffy stuff thank goodness.  My poor plow guy is struggling to move the stuff out of the way.