Author Topic: Harry Crooker's Lombard  (Read 6655 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Harry Crooker's Lombard
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
Here is a link to a story that was on the news tonight. Watch the video.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=100966&catid=2
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Crooker's Lombard
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
Very cool. I'd heard rumors that the Crookers have some sort of "side rod locomotive" hidden away somewhere, which also supposedly came from the Allagash...but I didn't know they had a Lombard. 

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
I believe that's the one that ran at Sheepscot during the Annual Picnic in the early 1990's

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
Mike,
I saw one of those Lombards in Harrison about 5 or 6 years ago during the annual show over at the old mill.  The didn't fire it up with wood but instead used a giant air compressor and a very long hose.  I recall it was run back and forth in front of the parking area so folks could see how it worked.  Perhaps you made it to the show that year?
Duncan

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
Hi.
  Here's a photo of a Phoenix, built under license from Lombard in El Claire Wisconsin.
As you can see the owner converted it to a locomotive. I have no more info on it but iI wonder if it was a temporary or permanent conversion.

Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:24 AM »
Harry Crooker brought his 1914 Lombard to Sheepscot for the annual picnic, August 13th 1994.  It operated in the open area between the shop and mainline.  There are photos of the Lombard in the Sept/Oct 1994 Newsletter. That same weekend, the SR&RL Model T railcar visited Sheepscot.  It ran from the station to about where our well pipe is.  That's all the mainline track we had then.  The other new item was the arrival of the Brookville which arrived on Friday, August 12th and was on display in Bay 1 of the shop.   The critter will celebrate it's 15th year  at Sheepscot this Summer.     

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »
Be something to see the Crooker's Lombard at Alna Center for Victorian Christmas... a couple of extra wreaths may need to be in the budget  ;)

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
I saw that Lombard run at Leonards mills, about 10 yrs ago or so but not in the snow. 

Anyone heard any updates from Vern, on the progress of the Leonards mills Lombard?