Author Topic: Heavy duty 2' gauge freight train  (Read 6278 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Heavy duty 2' gauge freight train
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
Two NGG16 Garratts and one NG15 2-8-2 put to the test at Sandstone Estates, SA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkKI-JOulo

Enjoy!
Glenn
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:59:08 PM by Glenn Christensen »

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy duty 2' gauge freight train
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:11:51 AM »
WOW!  I bet nothing like that ever ran on any of the 2ft lines.  They must heve houled nearly every car of the railroad.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »
The story goes when SR&RL #23 was new and they wanted to see what she could do they coupled on 35 cars and sent her towards Farmington.

They sent #15 after her to push in case she got stuck. After a while #15 returned to Phillips and they asked:

"Did they make it?"

#15's engineer said:

"I guess so. I couldn't keep up with them!"

This is where it starts to sound a little like a tall tale!

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
The story goes when SR&RL #23 was new and they wanted to see what she could do they coupled on 35 cars and sent her towards Farmington.

They sent #15 after her to push in case she got stuck. After a while #15 returned to Phillips and they asked:

"Did they make it?"

#15's engineer said:

"I guess so. I couldn't keep up with them!"

This is where it starts to sound a little like a tall tale!

If I remember the other half of that story as it is in "The Maine Scenic Route," the inspector that was on #23 for that run said something to the effect of "He opened the throttle at Phillips and didn't touch it again until we pulled into Farmington."

WOW!  I bet nothing like that ever ran on any of the 2ft lines.  They must heve houled nearly every car of the railroad.

Vince,
It was speculated that the Maine Central wanted to make #23 a 2-8-2 (it was based on similar locos being built by Baldwin around that time for S. America), but decided against it since it would mean that they would have to rework a considerable chunk of the railroad for it to run.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »

Maybe not in steam days, but the heaviest trains ever run on the Avontuur, and they ran day-in, day-out, several times a day, for a number of years in the 1990s, and over the millennium, were the 1,000 tonne limestone trains from Loerie to Port Elizabeth - 26 bogie wagons powered by triple GE UM6B diesel-electrics - 1770HP in all. I watched several of these trains leave Loerie in 1997, facing an immediate 7.5 miles of 2.5% on more or less continuous reverse curves as they left the station. The noise was truly something to remember...
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine