Author Topic: A New Baldwin 2-4-2  (Read 24923 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: A New Baldwin 2-4-2
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
The cost of the boiler will be around $70,000 when all is said and done.  Some volunteer work was done for the boiler, so the costs of a new boiler could go up to $100,000 if you didn't have any of that.

Phil Raynes

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
I believe it has been mentioned before on this board, but the 2' gauge Brecon Mountain Railway in Wales is also working on several Baldwin locos.  They are currently refurbishing a Baldwin 4-6-2 (that previously ran there and is down for repairs).  They are rebuilding another Baldwin from Brazil, but their website doesn't give a hint as to what wheel arrangement it is.  And they have two more replica Baldwin locos (from original drawings) planned.  Perhaps they might be a source for replica Baldwin parts - or even have them make a third Baldwin while they are at it!  (Again, they don't say what it is they are planning, but their line is noted for having steep grades. My guess is that it would be some sort of 6-coupled loco: 2-6-2, or 4-6-2, or 4-6-0, or 2-6-0.)

It is nice to dream!
Phil
Phil

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
I believe ... the 2' gauge Brecon Mountain Railway in Wales is ...rebuilding another Baldwin from Brazil,

Hi Phil,

You'll be pleased to know, the Baldwin in question is a 2-6-0 tender locomotive from the Mogiana line.  (Perhaps its on its way to becoming an "Old Star" look-alike ...)

Best Regards,
Glenn

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Glenn posted on a different thread that the SR&RL replicas being built at the Brecon Mountain Railway were #10 and #23.  Those two and the possible "Old Star" re-creation certainly will be a strong attraction for us!
James, your travel agency might get busy...

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
You guys are in a rut your thinking #7 a 2-4-4t. I'm thinking what it said on the posting a 2-4-2 not a tank engine but a cut down Prairie with tender. I think most agree that a full size prairie would be too big for our line. But a Columbia might be more usible so nothing that has already been done would be wasted. All i'm saying is check it out see what the Brits would want to do this and if they are even intereated in doing a joint project. Maybe they won't be interested. But if you don't ask you won't know.

The problem with this is that it gets away from the museums mission. To HISTORICALLY recreate the WW&F Railway. The WW&F never had a 2-4-2 and for that matter no US two footer did. Therefor there is no reason to invest in such a project. Now a 2-4-4 of the design of the #7 is historically correct which is why it was chosen.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
You could always ask these people to build you something...

The machine illustrated is a brand new (2009) 900mm gauge locomotive, to a 1930s design, for the Molibahn on the Baltic Coast.

http://polishrail.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/they-build-steam-engines-too/

Make sure you click on the 'Construction photographs' insert - it's a fascinating collection.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:55:03 PM by John L Dobson »
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
Eric how many Maine 2' lines had a 15 ton plymouth?

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
Teresa,

I think what Eric is trying to say is that is that it isnt worth the museams money to invest in a irrelevant steam locomotive.  And I believe the reason we have a 15 ton plymoth is not for display or re-creationism, but purelly for the ease of having a piece of heavy duty turn-key equipment.  I also believe at the time the museam purchased and restored the plymouth, we had no steam locomotives that we could use to haul a passenger train. And in the years after that a reliable back up locomotive if the steam engine failed. Also, look at when we plow the line out for victorian Christmas.  #10 can't handle that.  Another reason to have this locomotive, even in the future when there are three steamers in our roundhouse,  we aren't going to fire up all three of them every operating day.  On work weekends perhaps but not every operating day.  Now say one of our steamers takes out a train and gets stuck on an icy incline.  are we going to wait 2 and 1/2 hours for another steamer to be prepped and brought out?  No. It is much better for our visitors and crews if #52 can be turned on and in a few moments after the air resivoir fills up heads out to help. 

# 52 was origionally purchased out of necessity, not for luxury, and is now kept for the reliable back-up it has become.  and to further the point, steam is expensive to both aquire and maintain, and it's not worth our valuable time and money to invest in a non-prototypical engine when there are still so many of the roads origional locomotives left to recreate. I'm all for seing #6 v. 2.0 speed through Alna Center, but the apples aren't ripe for the pickin yet.

A spike saved is a spike earned.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
Eric how many Maine 2' lines had a 15 ton plymouth?

In this day and age you cant run a railroad without a diesel back up as much as I'd love diesels to go away (except my GP-40s at work they can stay  ;D ). Also hundreds of thousands of dollars werent spent to get the 52. With the money that is going to be dished out for a brand new steam locomotive there is absolutly no reason to build locomotive that the original railroad didnt own. To build a 2-4-2 for the WW&F would be like building scaled down replicas of EBT hoppers. It just doesnt fit the mission of the museum.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:24:22 PM by Eric Bolton »
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad