Author Topic: What is going on up in Phillips  (Read 16265 times)

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
What is going on up in Phillips
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:45 PM »
On the SR&RL site eccept for the operating dates nothing has been up dated for some time. They have a projects list for which cars were being worked on like coach 5 but nothing on it since around 2000. Have they finished it or is it still being worked on or what?

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: What is going on up in Phillips
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
You know I was thinking about the same thing? ??? ??? ???
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
It could be that the volunteers like working on engines and rolling stock more than the web site.  I got a new DVD at the Big E show that has video on the SR&RL from 2007 and 2008.  It shows the special freight train that ran for the Narrow Gauge convention in 2007 and passenger operations from last year.  The freight train featured restored box cars and a newly built wood rack car. 

I can tell you a few things from going to Phillips last year.   Progress has been made restoring original buildings and constructing new arch bar trucks for the box cars.  The latest original structure restored is the Reeds section house.  The building is unique because it's the only 2 storey section house used on the two footers.  It sits on the mainline just north of the roundhouse.  Another "new" building is the blacksmith shop.  This building features a forge that is made from the steam dome of a SR&RL locomotive.  Track work has included building the passing siding next to the roundhouse and a siding at the north end. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
It could also be that something happened to who ever was doing their website.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
A bit more -  Monson #3 is at Boothbay getting new tubes for FRA Form 4 certification.  The locomotive should be back at Phillips for re-assembly by Spring and back in service for passenger operations this Summer.  Former P&R flanger (SR&RL #505) has been taken off site for rebuilding, it may be back late this year.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:01:53 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
Thanks for the info from up Phillips way. You may be right about their webmaster guess they need someone like Ed to spice up their site. By the way Ed great job on the WW&F site a good site like this one can do a lot of good for the museum as when people can see what is going on they are more likely to join and contribute to the cause.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
From what I heard at the W Springfield show the P&R coach has been "wedged" into the roundhouse for protection and work - I was told that the doors couldn't be fully closed as the stall was a bit short for a coach.  Provision for a car barn is also underway - and when this is done ALL the equipment on site will be under cover.
Their newsletter is a better source of info then the web site.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
Please don't thank me for the (main) web site. James Patten is still the webmaster and does a fine job of that. All I do is try to keep the discussion forum free of spam and inappropriate posts. I help out on technical matters when requested.

It's all about being part of the same team. And, whether you can make it to Sheepscot every week, or may never get to visit, there is always some way to help the cause.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
Well then thanks to Mr Patton also. Glad I am that the website is keeped up to date and so accable to all to get out so much information. thanks to both you gentelmen for all your work.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »
There will be a work weekend held at Phillips, May 2nd and 3rd.  On Saturday the 2nd there will be a general membership meeting held in the Concord & Montreal coach at the Bridge Street terminus.  The meeting will start at 1:00 pm and will cover some of the following topics;  Repairs to Monson 3, coal supply, cars leased from MNGRR, the proposed carbarn, the ROW fund, restoration of coach 17 (seats,brakes,and roof), and repairs to the section house roof.  Anyone who would like to attend should contact President Eric Hinkley at president  @srrl-rr.org (I put a gap in the address here to prevent spam)  or send a post card to SR&RL RR P.O. Box B, Phillips, ME 04966

Note: The SR&RL RR meeting is the same date as the WW&F's annual meeting and election.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:40:20 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:22:26 AM »
The web site has been improved with a redesigned NEWS button.  Bob Troup posted a nice panoramic view of the roundhouse and yard area with descriptive information underneath.  It's worth a click.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:57:18 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
It could be that the volunteers like working on engines and rolling stock more than the web site.  I got a new DVD at the Big E show that has video on the SR&RL from 2007 and 2008.  It shows the special freight train that ran for the Narrow Gauge convention in 2007 and passenger operations from last year.  The freight train featured restored box cars and a newly built wood rack car. 

I can tell you a few things from going to Phillips last year.   Progress has been made restoring original buildings and constructing new arch bar trucks for the box cars.  The latest original structure restored is the Reeds section house.  The building is unique because it's the only 2 storey section house used on the two footers.  It sits on the mainline just north of the roundhouse.  Another "new" building is the blacksmith shop.  This building features a forge that is made from the steam dome of a SR&RL locomotive.  Track work has included building the passing siding next to the roundhouse and a siding at the north end. 
Awsome. Now I can understand why it has not been updated. =) What was the name of the DVD of the photo frieght? I will like to one day buy my own copy of that historic event. =D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
Matthew,  The DVD is called "Maine Narrow Gauge Collection Vol. 2;  The Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad".  It runs 27 minutes and is produced by Black 5 Video.  The web site is  timelesstrainsandthings.com

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Update on Monson #3.  As some of you know, a 15 year lease was signed with MNGRR back in March of 2008.  The locomotive was shipped to the Booth Bay Railroad shop in August of that year for Form 4 repairs.  The boiler tube replacement went well but other repairs were required which delayed the locomotive being returning to Phillips. The additional repairs have increased the cost of the restoration.   The plan is to have the engine returned to Phillips this Summer.  It will be incomplete because new plumbing and a new boiler jacket will have to be installed.  If all goes well the engine should be back in steam sometime this Fall.  Locomotive #4 (gasoline mechanical Forney) will be powering trains this year until steam can return.  Engine 4 is historic in it's own right.  The locomotive is close to 40 years old and is one of the first pieces of equipment built to return two foot gauge railroading to the state of Maine.  The regular operating season will start June 6th and run through mid-October.  

Donations are being accepted towards completing the work on Monson #3.  The web site is www.srrl-rr.org
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:40:54 AM by Stewart Rhine »