Author Topic: Webb Grant  (Read 5685 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Webb Grant
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Webb Grant has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Steam wrote:
Congratulations to the museum for having been chosen as recipient of the 2008 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award.  The announcement by the Mass. Bay Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc. arrived here at the Walker Transportation Collection the other day!   As the recipient of the 2007 Webb Award, we know how great an honor this is.  We know that the money will be well used to further the goals of the museum.  The RRE committee which selects the winner from among many applications each year have a difficult task to select the one which stands out from all the rest. We would urge those organizations which didn't make it this year to continue to apply in the future.

Again, congratulations to all concerned, and thanks to the Webb family for making these awards year after year, and to the RRE for administering the selection recommendations.

Richard W. Symmes
Curator, The Walker Transportation Collection
Beverly Historical Society & Museum

James Patten replied:
Thanks Richard.  Kudos and thanks go to Ed Lecuyer for writing the grant.  I don't know if he had help from Ira, but if so thanks goes to Ira as well.

The Webb award will go toward expanding the first 3 bays of the shop building south about 30 feet.

elecuyer replied:
Thanks also to the BOD for their support and follow-up to get the grant completed.

Kudos to all!!

-Ed Lecuyer

Wayne Laepple replied:
May we know the details? How much is the award? Is this enough to complete the proposed project? When will we receive it? Is there a requirement for a matching amount from us? When will the work begin?

elecuyer replied:
What I know...
The award is for $10,000. There is no matching requirement.

It was my understanding at the time of the application that this would pay for most, if not all of the materials, etc. for the shop expansion. (Further revisions to the plan may have changed this.)

I don't know when we will get the actual funds (but I understand it to be soon, if we haven't received them already.) I believe construction is scheduled for this season.

Allan and James may have more details, as they "took over" after I did the original grant application.

-Ed Lecuyer

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Wayne;
It's my understanding that Zack wants to start work on the expansion no later than May of this year.
Kudos to Ed and all those involved in obtaining this grant. I know when the Bedford Depot group received the award there was a public presentation. Will there be one for our award?
Dave

Wayne Laepple replied:
My congratulations and sincere thanks to all the folks who worked so hard to garner this significant grant for the museum. A 30-foot addition to the shop should provide shelter to the most important artifacts on our roster. This is an important accomplishment and may pave the way for additional grants.

Ira Schreiber replied:
My congratulations on the receipt of the Webb Grant.
Ed deserves the credit, as I had no hand in this.
I can't wait to start on the construction.

Now if a load of rail arrived at the same time..........

Allan Fisher replied:
There will be a formal presentation of the Alfred Webb Grant at the WW&F Annual Meeting at the Alna Meetinghouse on Saturday afternoon, May 3, 2008 at 2:00pm.

We expect to have to raise an additional $7,000 to finish the addition which by contract must be completed by fall 2009. Zack would like to finish the project before the end of 2008. so that we can get the two wooden coaches (8 & 103) inside before heavy winter. There will also be space for a new 48" lathe and a carpenter shop.

Joe Fox replied:
Ira,

Possibilities are endless when it comes to the WW&F. That is one reason, why I am so proud to be a volunteer/member. I speak very highly of the WW&F to everybody, and in fact, showed a few of my friends today videos on YouTube of the museum during the Victorian Christmas plow extra. They thought it was awsome, and they aren't that big on trains.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Now this gives me yet another reason to wish all this snow away. 101 inches to date. Average is 72ish.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
What great news.  The museum gets better every year!  I hope the town will allow for a 34' addition so there will be room for a car in the new section without the couplers extending into the "old" part.  A finished floor would be good so the new section could be heated.  Of course there would have to be inside doors or curtains to divide the sections.  We should extend bay two's overhead crane into the new part - if we can find the right track beams.  The extra space upstairs will be nice too.

I'll start digging for more old cast locksets for whatever new outside doors the addition will have.  A second west side door (towards the south end) would make it easier to get to the parking area, future turntable.

jockellis replied:
And Ed says he isn't a grant writer. Balderdash! Congratulations are definitely in order.
Jock Ellis

James Patten replied:
It looks like we'll only get a 30' extension (maybe 31 feet) because of the setback requirements from the road.  Floor will be concrete.  I'm advocating with Zack for a dumbwaiter so that unweildy or heavy things can be moved up and down stairs without struggling too much (things like refrigerators, locomotive parts, caskets, etc).

Stewart, good idea for a door on the west side.  Zack may be planning to move the existing east door south.

Stewart Rhine replied:
James,  Thanks for the response.  Maybe we should keep the existing east side door (because it lines up with the doorway from bay 1 to 2) and add a second east side door to the new front part.  That would be good if the front is heated and there are doors or a divider between the new front part and the present kitchen part of bay 1.  The other question is whether the bay 1 west wall will be extended up to the front.  If not, that will create a larger open area with all three bays common.  As you know, the west wall was there because that was the outside of the building for a few years.  WOW - we have come a long way ... and things just keep getting better!

I better look for more that just one old lock set ...

James Patten replied:
The wall between bays 1 and 2 will not be continued.  It will be one large bay, without any posts if Zack's architect and engineering team can figure out how.  Sounds like Zack wants to heat the place, so the vaulted ceiling will go away.

Stewart Rhine replied:
James,  Thanks for the additional information.  Heating the new section sounds great and all three bays common makes a good work area.   A concrete floor will ease moving heavy things between bays.

Can't wait to get back to Maine and help with this project.  Maybe I'll build the new side doors.

WWFRyFan1 replied:
Congratulations to you all! It's recognition well deserved.

Ken S.

Fred L. Kuhns replied:
James ,  When will the work on the shop start ?   Thanks Fred L. Kuhns

James Patten replied:
The work area is currently outlined in string.  As I haven't heard a definite timetable, the best I can give you is that work will start when it starts 

I would guess sometime in June.  Likely not before that as our VP who will be overseeing the beginning of the work is my fireman next Saturday.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum