Author Topic: Web page redesign  (Read 2916 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Web page redesign
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Web page redesign has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
As some of you may have noticed, the web site got a redesign last night.  http://www.wwfry.org for those that want a link.

First, a BIG thank-you goes to Mark Edry (http://www.markedry.com) for the new look.  Mark actually gave it to me last summer, but it wasn't until December or so that I started working on it.

I still have a fairly long punchlist of things to do to it, but the new operating season will be on us before long and I wanted to get it out there.

One of the things I hope to avoid with this will be the questions:
- When do your trains run?
- When are you open?
- From when to when will your [special event] be running?

I didn't have the chance to post it last night because it was past my bed time when I finished.

Mike Fox replied:
Looks great James. A little more tweaking is necessary though. I had trouble viewing everything. For example, the only way I was able to view an equipment roster was to create a shortcut on my desktop. Then click on it to view it. It would not open big enough on the website to view. Other than that though, like I said, it looks great.
Mike

tomc replied:
I like the look also.

Tom C.

James Patten replied:
Here's a list of things I hope to still put on the website.  Some of the things require a technical bent, others require someone with a camera.  Let me know if anyone is able to assist me.

1. I have to figure out how to get the JavaScript OnMouseOver event to give me a little window of text.  This would be for the Visit Us/Hours page.

2. I'd like a picture of Edaville 5 when it was at Pleasure Island.

3. I'd like a picture of #52 when it was at Carpenter Steel.

4. I'd like a better "roster shot" of #51.

5. A color shot of Coach 3 at Edaville.

6. A shot of Coach 3 at Edaville after the fire (assuming it had damage).

7. A shot of Coach 8 (26) at Edaville after the fire, and during rebuild.
I believe Savery Moore is working on these, but if anyone has one I'd like to see it.

8. A picture of 118 when it first arrived as metal parts at Sheepscot.

9. A picture or two of 118 during the rebuild.

10. If there's a scan of the Portland Company caboose plans, I'd like it.

11. A picture of B&SR flatcar 23.  The hardware from this supposedly built Edaville open car 202, which became donor material for flatcar 126.

12. A picture of our two wooden work flats from The Early Days.

13. A picture of the wooden work flat built by Russ St. John when new.

14. Note that there's now a Projects page.  Pictures (and ideas) for projects on the page would be helpful.

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
Overall- I like the new format.  Very nice and more userfriendly.  I like the projects section.

I think we ought to start posting regular pics of the No 9 project- James, can you facilitate this if such pics are provided?

I found the links in the left margin of many of the pages hard to discern from the background- it actually took a couple viewings to even realize they were there.  They're in a nice place- but I wonder if it might be possible to provide some more contrast.

see ya
Jason

James Patten replied:
The intent of the design is so that project shots can be made.

I don't know how much space I have available, so where possible I'd like remote hosting sites like villagephotos to have these.

fjknight replied:
James,

Just checking the calendar on the new site and it say the Two Footer weekend is June 20-22. Close but not right as it is on Father's Day weekend June 13-15.

Frank

James Patten replied:
What's people's opinions on the #9 drawing that's currently on the webpage, versus the image of #9 that's on Mark's page?  Should I replace the line drawing with the image on Mark's page?

tomc replied:
I can't find either easily so I can't help.  Where is said images?

I get an error on the link to-  visit us-  location,  Google Maps says registration error, registered to a different site generate new key,  this is on IE 6.0?  I saw you were working on this.

Tom C.

James Patten replied:
I can't find either easily so I can't help.  Where is said images?

Sorry, it's Mark Edry's website.  See the link on the very first message.

I get an error on the link to-  visit us-  location,  Google Maps says registration error, registered to a different site generate new key.

The error is because Google thinks it should be for Mark's site, not the WW&F site.  Mark is working on this.  Should be fixed soon, I think.

Mike Fox replied:
I don't find an image on Marks page. Just a pic of #10. Any specific location where it is?
Mike

James Patten replied:
Whoops, guess I should specify it's http://www.markedry.com/wwf2

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
I really like it- but I think the maroon  background is important.

How about putting that image on a maroon oval with a black outline- and putting that everywhere as the entire image.  The splash of color appearing everywhere, including the forum here, will tie the main page together with all of its various tentacles.

see ya
jason

Stephen Hussar replied:
James, I wouldn't change the line drawing image, except perhaps to make it larger. Mark's No 9 image may be better proportioned.

gordon cook replied:
What's people's opinions on the #9 drawing that's currently on the webpage, versus the image of #9 that's on Mark's page?  Should I replace the line drawing with the image on Mark's page?

I like the line drawing that has been used and is similar to the one Edaville used for many years. I recall seeing the little signs by the road that directed you there.
To bring up another topic: Does anyone have trouble with the maroonish background? (I'm referring to the color, not to Bugs Bunny's expression, as in "What a maroon!")
I know that color blindness usually affects one's ability to distinguish reds and greens. I am not so afflicted, but I find the black lettering difficult to see on the red background, and I think the yellow might be difficult for those who are challenged by red hues.

Bill Reidy replied:
I'm not having any problem with the colors, but I have trouble with shades of blue and green, not red.

On a somewhat related note, I really like the concept of the calendar on the "Days and Hours of Operation" page, but I'm having trouble following the calendar key.  For instance, I see numerous Special Events listed, but no explanation describing what each event is.  Could a hypertext link be set up pointing to the special events page on each highlighted date?

By definition, shouldn't all the Special Operating Events (in blue) also be marked as Special Events (bold text)?

Don't know if it would help, but it might make sense to lay out the key so operating train date keys are on the first line, and other keys (such as volunteer work days) are on the second line.

Other folks' thoughts on the Calendar?

Bill

Mike Fox replied:
I like the line drawing, if it was larger and perhaps a darker color. The picture looks nice, but the drawing is everywhere. Letterhead, membership cards, etc.

As for the new and improved calendar, I like it.
Mike

James Patten replied:
The new and improved calendar is about to get new-er and improved-er (to invent a word).

I figured out a way (ie, stole it off the internet) to get a little text box to pop up whenever you run your mouse over a bolded box.  So a special event will tell you what's going on.

I am starting to think along the lines that the Special Events page ought to have a separate page for the Annual Meeting, Picnic, and so on, so that people can get all the information they need from those pages.  Fortunately it's easy to do.

As to the color code, I'll take ideas.  Incidentally I have trouble with shades of red and green.

Bill Reidy replied:
I am starting to think along the lines that the Special Events page ought to have a separate page for the Annual Meeting, Picnic, and so on,...

That's a good idea.  If there's a separate page for each event, then a link can also be placed on the Welcome (first) page to highlight the next upcoming Museum event.

Bill

James Patten replied:
The "improved-er" calendar is now up on the website.  I've also fixed a number of issues, including the Paypal link not taking you to the right place.

Suggestions for further improvements are always welcome.

Mike Fox replied:
Nice touch James.
Mike

Ted Miles replied:
James,

Thank you for a lot of work.

I have poor vision; but I was not able to find the new location of the roster with pictures that was on the lod site?

I hope the information and some photos are still there some place!

Any suggestion?

Ted Miles

James Patten replied:
Roster of Museum equipment is under About Us.

Roster of original railroad equipment is under Railway History.  I actually have a list of all the equipment now.

mikechoochoo replied:
It looks real nice. One question, Does the Albion group have a website? I didn't see a link. If they don't, maybe we could give them a page on our site, since they are also preserving the history of the WW&F.

Steve Klare replied:
I like the new look, with one comment:

I see that "Restoration Progress" is gone (...or I don't see that I can't find it any more.)

Despite being on this forum all the time, and despite being a member and getting the newsletter, I always looked forward to the beginnings of April, July, October and January so I could see this section being updated. I also thought looking back through it made for a pretty neat thumbnail history of the museum as well.

Steve Zuppa replied:
Steve,
On the new home page, click on "About Us" on the upper right hand corner. When that comes up, go to "Restoration" on the middle left of the page.
Steve

James Patten replied:
I don't believe that the Albion Historical Society has a website anymore.  That's unfortunate.

As probably most everyone has noted, I decided to do away with describing the invdividual portions of the line, which never got beyond Whitefield anyway.  I just describing what we now run on, with historical pictures coming at some point.  I figured that Reuben's work on Google Maps, and Bill Reidy's work on his book, covered it all very well and why duplicate efforts.

Steve Klare replied:
Steve,

Thanks!

-Steve

James Patten replied:
Nearly all the kinks seemed to have been worked out of the new website, except for the Google map which Mark may have found a solution for.

Steve Hussar has agreed to let me use photos off of his villagephotos.com account.  If other people use photo hosting services, and they have photos that may look good on the website, please let me know.  I'd rather use off-site photos because of storage limitations.

I am thinking about moving the website to a hosting company which has a photo gallery, so that everybody could potentially participate.

I'm most interested in photos from our work on #9.

WWFRyFan1 replied:
The new pages look really good. Nice work!

Ken S.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum