Author Topic: Percival House  (Read 1964 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Percival House
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Percival House has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Ted Miles wrote:
folks,

the thread on the Percival house petered out last July. so I wondered what has happened with the building?

Did a new door or bulkhead into the basement get built before the cold weather arrived?

Is there someone there to keep an eye on things and make sure that the pipes do not freeze now that cold weather is here?

Thanks,

Ted Miles

James Patten replied:
The Board voted in September to allow all volunteers to use one of the bathrooms, and to allow use of the kitchen.   Since then, we've had most of our meals in the house.

We started in cleaning out the basement a couple of months ago.  The plan is to remove the center wall and make it a large open space.  We have an I-beam we'll use and support it on posts.  The basement floor will have 4 inches of concrete poured.  One of our volunteers has been insulating the basement with styrofoam.  So the house is being cared for and is being looked at carefully.

John McNamara replied:
I would add to James's post that the house has been equipped with a low temperature alarm that is monitored 24/7/365 by the same alarm company that monitors our fire alarm system. The alarm system includes a backup battery system for power failures and a radio link for phone line failures. If the house gets too cold, we'll definitely know about it.

James Patten replied:
To finish answering Ted's questions, a new door into the basement is going to built, but I don't know when.  Probably after the winter, but before the floor is poured.

Wayne Laepple replied:
Might I respectfully suggest consideration of a double-width door into the basement?

John McNamara replied:
Might I respectfully suggest consideration of a double-width door into the basement?
Is the excellent food served at our Track Weekends making us that portly? 

Wayne Laepple replied:
I don't know about you telephone guys, John, but we track guys work off all those good meals.

Mike Fox replied:
Wayne is thinking ahead again. Good idea in case we want to put something down there. A lot easier with a wider opening.
Mike
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum